Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 10-01-2016, 04:16 PM   #1
Formal DeHyde
Formal DeHyde does all things with Zen-like beautyFormal DeHyde does all things with Zen-like beautyFormal DeHyde does all things with Zen-like beautyFormal DeHyde does all things with Zen-like beautyFormal DeHyde does all things with Zen-like beautyFormal DeHyde does all things with Zen-like beautyFormal DeHyde does all things with Zen-like beautyFormal DeHyde does all things with Zen-like beautyFormal DeHyde does all things with Zen-like beautyFormal DeHyde does all things with Zen-like beautyFormal DeHyde does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Android Sony Z4
Read only folders

Using latest Calibre Companion and Android 5.1 (not rooted). Cant seem to place the library on the SD card, tried reinstalling after deleting folders and making the new folders form within CC, checked permissions on the folders, tried just using the root folder of the SD card, always comes back saying it cant connect to content server because the folders are read only. Folders are not read only to other apps, e.g. ES File explorer.
Connects fine using default folder on the device memory or to a folder selected on the device memory.
Hoping someone can suggest a solution.
Thank you.
Formal DeHyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:21 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formal DeHyde View Post
Using latest Calibre Companion and Android 5.1 (not rooted). Cant seem to place the library on the SD card, tried reinstalling after deleting folders and making the new folders form within CC, checked permissions on the folders, tried just using the root folder of the SD card, always comes back saying it cant connect to content server because the folders are read only. Folders are not read only to other apps, e.g. ES File explorer.
Connects fine using default folder on the device memory or to a folder selected on the device memory.
Hoping someone can suggest a solution.
Thank you.
If you send us a debug log (instructions are here) then we might be able to help. Please erase the multipie.co.uk email address.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2016, 07:40 PM   #3
Formal DeHyde
Formal DeHyde does all things with Zen-like beautyFormal DeHyde does all things with Zen-like beautyFormal DeHyde does all things with Zen-like beautyFormal DeHyde does all things with Zen-like beautyFormal DeHyde does all things with Zen-like beautyFormal DeHyde does all things with Zen-like beautyFormal DeHyde does all things with Zen-like beautyFormal DeHyde does all things with Zen-like beautyFormal DeHyde does all things with Zen-like beautyFormal DeHyde does all things with Zen-like beautyFormal DeHyde does all things with Zen-like beauty

Thank you. I have sent it along.
Old 10-02-2016, 05:21 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you. I have sent it along.
Thanks.

I can see what is happening but I have no idea why. Could you tell me what you do when in CC you change formats and folders? It looks like EPUB is different from the other extensions. Are you changing the default folder (the one at the top) or EPUB? Is any folder set as an exception to the default?

If I send you a new APK for CC by email, do you know how to install it? I have made one change and added some more debug log info that should help me determine what is happening.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:46 PM   #5
Formal DeHyde

The log you see is from a newly installed CC, and I just changed the one folder for epub to illustrate what happens (previously I changed all of the folders one by one, I never tried changing the default--should I try that?).
APK, if you give me basic instructions I am sure I can install it..
Thank you.
Advert
Old 10-02-2016, 03:51 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The log you see is from a newly installed CC, and I just changed the one folder for epub to illustrate what happens (previously I changed all of the folders one by one, I never tried changing the default--should I try that?).
APK, if you give me basic instructions I am sure I can install it..
Thank you.
Yes, please try changing the one folder back to the default then changing the default to the SD card. The goal: all the folders are the default, and the default is on the SD card. If that doesn't work then we will go forward with the new APK. Thanks for being willing.

Of course, I do eventually need to work out why it is failing when you change one folder. I have some ideas there (and have made some code changes), but lets deal with that once you have a working installation.

EDIT: please send me another debug log if things don't work after changing the default.
Old 10-02-2016, 05:43 PM   #7
Formal DeHyde

I just tried placing a large number of ebooks on the SD card using Calibre, with a usb connection, then changed the default folder in CC to the Books folder created by Calibre on the SD card. It now seems to connect OK and appears to be synching the book information across. So, I wonder if the issue was either trying to create the folder for book storage within CC or within Android, or on the other hand trying to change the folder for individual ebook types rather than the overall default folder?
Old 10-03-2016, 04:21 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I just tried placing a large number of ebooks on the SD card using Calibre, with a usb connection, then changed the default folder in CC to the Books folder created by Calibre on the SD card. It now seems to connect OK and appears to be synching the book information across. So, I wonder if the issue was either trying to create the folder for book storage within CC or within Android, or on the other hand trying to change the folder for individual ebook types rather than the overall default folder?
Excellent questions. When testing I can't make any of the scenarios you describe fail. I tried changing the default, changing only the epub, and changing both. I tried using a folder created by a file manager and using a folder created by CC. Everything worked, so I am left having to guess what happened to you.

I suspect that it is a device-specific timing issue. I have added code that might work around it, and I have added more to the debug log to help find it should the problem rise again.

In your case, given that it is now working I don't see any reason to mess with it.

Thanks for your patience.