Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #16
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I'll be reading P.T.Deutermann's Ghosts of Bungo Suido next. I recently read his Pacific Glory, which had a thrilling description of the Battle Off Samar.

Following that, I'll probably re-read Away All Boats by Kenneth Dodson. (about a WW2 amphibious transport, the fictional U.S.S. Belinda), or The Cruel Sea. I read both decades ago and enjoyed them tremendously; I'm curious about how well they have aged.

After that, perhaps a re-read of some Hornblower.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #17
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
I'll be reading P.T.Deutermann's Ghosts of Bungo Suido next. I recently read his Pacific Glory, which had a thrilling description of the Battle Off Samar.

Following that, I'll probably re-read Away All Boats by Kenneth Dodson. (about a WW2 amphibious transport, the fictional U.S.S. Belinda), or The Cruel Sea. I read both decades ago and enjoyed them tremendously; I'm curious about how well they have aged.

After that, perhaps a re-read of some Hornblower.
I enjoyed both of P.T. Deutermann's books.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2013, 09:56 PM   #18
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I enjoyed Run Silent, Run Deep very much. I'm hoping Ghosts of Bungo Suido will be at the same level of quality.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
On the privateer side of "Naval," I can recommend James L. Nelson's The Only Life That Mattered: The Short and Merry Lives of Anne Bonny, Mary Read, and Calico Jack Rackam.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:37 PM   #20
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
John Biggins wrote a series of four books set during and just before WWI, featuring an Austro-Hungarian naval officer named Otto Prohaska.

Das Boot (The Boat) by Lothar Gunther Buchheim is very good, about a German WWII submarine.

Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy is excellent, but may be too modern.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #21
bfisher
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
John Biggins wrote a series of four books set during and just before WWI, featuring an Austro-Hungarian naval officer named Otto Prohaska.

Das Boot (The Boat) by Lothar Gunther Buchheim is very good, about a German WWII submarine.

Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy is excellent, but may be too modern.
I enjoyed the Prohaska novels and Red Storm Rising.

I liked the movie Das Boot. I hadn't realized it was based on a novel. That's definately going on my TBR list.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #22
bfisher
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
On the privateer side of "Naval," I can recommend James L. Nelson's The Only Life That Mattered: The Short and Merry Lives of Anne Bonny, Mary Read, and Calico Jack Rackam.
Thanks for the suggestion. I enjoyed his Brethren of the Coast novels, and the Biddlecomb novels. I'm adding The Only Life That Mattered... to my TBR list.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #23
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Rafael Sabatini's Captain Blood books, starting with Captain Blood (made into a fun film in the 1930s with Errol Flynn at his rousing best. There were two or three other Captain Blood books, not exactly sequels but fitted into the time-span of the first book.

The exploits of Captain Blood, by the way, all happened (but to various different privateers).

If you enjoy a laugh, try George MacDonald Fraser's "Pyrates" in which he sends up the whole genre. Fraser, you'll remember, wrote the Flashman series.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I will admit that Patrick O'Brian is an acquired taste. I did struggle with the first couple of books due to story detail and nomenclature, but by the third book I was just enjoying the ride.
I liked that. To my mind, if you're reading historical novels about sailing ships and you need to be told what a "sheet" is (it's a rope that controls a sail), then you probably need to do a little research before reading that genre of fiction; I wouldn't expect the author to have to teach me elementary nomenclature.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #25
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Well, Harry, I read for pleasure, so tend not to research before I start a book. If I find I am lacking in technical knowledge, I don't mind researching during.....
I took a Patrick O'Brien book, (Master and Commander, as I recall) as well as a hefty tome on marine navigation, when I crossed the Atlantic by sail, as crew to a very experienced friend. Think I read the novel three times and the textbook not much. Turned out that A) Brazil is fairly hard to miss and B) The GPS worked just fine.

The friend, being an non english speaking french lady, was not terribly helpful with the nomenclature, but I worked it out anyway.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
Well, Harry, I read for pleasure, so tend not to research before I start a book. If I find I am lacking in technical knowledge, I don't mind researching during.....
A good compromise is to have a glossary at the end of the book. A lot of military fiction does this. What I would object to would be the author using the wrong word for something simply to make it easier for the reader - eg talking about "ropes" on a ship.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:07 PM   #27
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Quote:
A good compromise is to have a glossary at the end of the book. A lot of military fiction does this. What I would object to would be the author using the wrong word for something simply to make it easier for the reader - eg talking about "ropes" on a ship.
That sounds entirely reasonable.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #28
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I like to be thrown in at the deep end (as it were) and work things out from the context. How much does it really matter if I don't know what a sheet is? If I'm really struggling I might look something up, but otherwise I'll just wait for another clue, later.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #29
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
What I guess finally hooked me on the O'Brian books was that Steven Maturin was as clueless as I was and still managed to survive.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:20 AM   #30
bfisher
Wizard

Not naval fiction, but if you love to read about the age of fighting sail, Sam Willis "Hearts of Oak" trilogy is currently on sale at amazon.ca and amazon.com

I read The Fighting Temeraire last year. It is about both the Temeraire's career and the J.M.W. Turner painting. An excellent book, so I was very happy to get an great deal on the other two books.

The Fighting Temeraire CDN$ 1.97
http://www.amazon.ca/Fighting-Temera.../dp/B0089XJROU

The Admiral Benbow: The Life and Times of a Naval Legend CDN 1.97

http://www.amazon.ca/The-Admiral-Ben.../dp/B005QJT5L0

The Glorious First of June CDN$ 2.33
http://www.amazon.ca/The-Glorious-Fi.../dp/B005Q8QZKA

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
amazon.com links

http://www.amazon.com/Fighting-Temer.../dp/B0089XJROU
$1.89

http://www.amazon.com/Admiral-Benbow.../dp/B005QJT5L0
$1.89