Old 09-05-2008, 01:11 PM   #16
johnnaryry
Connoisseur
johnnaryry doesn't litterjohnnaryry doesn't litter

Device: 64GB Apple iPad 3 WiFi, 32GB Apple iPhone 4S
iPhone/iPod Touch Stylus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
One difference between tapping/swiping on the iPod Touch as compared to a palm device is that you use your fingers on the Touch--on the palm you use a stylus. So, the palm screen definitely doesn't have the same propensity for getting smudged as the Touch.

dordale
Have you seen these?

http://tinyurl.com/5lsknt
http://tinyurl.com/6xyx2l
http://tinyurl.com/6yvcby

--ryan
johnnaryry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:22 PM   #17
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnaryry View Post
I've tried a stylus for my iPhone. Since the tip is a hemisphere, you have to press far harder than expected to get it to touch at more than exactly one point. The phone apparently expects more than just one point of contact, since it expects a finger.

The last one listed above might be different. A softer tip might help. I don't use my stylus cuz I don't like pressing that hard on the screen.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:30 PM   #18
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
I guess everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I'll stand by my observation that the Touch is superior to any of the PDA's I've used to date. Here's a rundown of the one's I've owned to date: Palm Pilot 1000, Visor, Palm V, Cassiopeia E-100, iPaq 3835, Sony Clie (very short time), iPaq 4150 (still own & use), iPaq rz1710, iPaq hx4700 (while more powerful than my 4150 & a much better screen, it was a little larger than I wanted to carry... and my wife got first dibs), Audiovox SMT5600 SmartPhone, iPod Touch. I shied away from the Dell Axims since they first came out, as I simply didn't like their form-factor.

Anyway, while the hx4700 does have a VGA screen, perhaps it's the PDF renderer or the method in which you navigate PDF docs (the only real reading I actually use it for, as I convert all other paperback size books to LRF for my Reader). I'm not sure why the Touch looks better to me, even at half-VGA, but I guess it's really the way in which it's presented, you can pinch-zoom to any custom level, and panning has no noticeable refresh issues... and I like the form-factor of the Touch, slim and solid without much wasted space Regarding the swipe to change pages, I don't mind this so much but some of the newer apps are incorporating the accelerometer into the mix so you simply need to tilt to change pages. If there's a great app for WM, let me know and I'll check it out.

Points well taken in regards to the battery life, I only get around 6 hours or so of use on mine before I have to charge up again... and there's no user-changeable battery. True too, unless you jail-break it, it's a little difficult to find just the right app to get things onto the Touch (Apple's way of "trying" to keeping people out of its innards). With the PDA it's so much easier just to copy things to a SD-card and pop it in... miss that little bit.

The only other truly major gripe I have is with Apple themselves; they seem to come out with an updated version every 4-6 months or so... much too rapid to keep up with form a financial perspective of the buyer and it leads to a world of buyer's remorse, especially if you just bought that 'ol 16GB Touch and a month later the 32GB came out. Didn't happen to me, I've had mine since October of last year, but I was the Apple Rep here for a short run and saw too many updated products following on the heals of "last months latest and greatest." Apple is milking people for all they can, eventually something has to give, though I know I'll simply hold out and see what's next.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:13 PM   #19
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnaryry View Post
I want one. I was actually thinking about this this morning. I was going to experiment with my Palm stylus (some kind of modification) but now I don't have to. Thanks.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:22 PM   #20
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I want one. I was actually thinking about this this morning. I was going to experiment with my Palm stylus (some kind of modification) but now I don't have to. Thanks.
My guess is a standard number two pencil flipped around (the eraser) would work just as well. That's what it looks like.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:22 PM   #21
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
My guess is a standard number two pencil flipped around (the eraser) would work just as well. That's what it looks like.

BOb
I can officially report that a #2 pencil eraser flipped around does not work.

I found this tidbit about the Pogo iPhone Stylus.

Quote:
In case you haven't noticed the iPhone's glassy touch sensitive screen is only sensitive to your stubby little fingers. This is because it uses a technology called capacitive touch which measures the flow of electrons through your skin. Problem is, last time we checked our fingers were pretty rounded and not too precise at picking out tiny URLs in Safari. Luckily the geniuses behind the Pogo iPhone Stylus have magically solved this problem by making a stylus that somehow tricks the iPhone into thinking it's really a finger.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:50 AM   #22
AdrianWerner
AdrianWerner began at the beginning.

Device: Thinkpad X60t
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel View Post
I've been using handheld portable device since the original Palm Pilot Pro and I can tell you that the screen on the Touch beats the heck out of anything else out there.
I have used iphone and various other pdas and while iphone and ipod touch screen is nice, it's nowhere near as good (especialy for reading) as the screen used in Nokia's tablets, 4inches+ 800x600 is just leagues beyond ipod touch for reading
AdrianWerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:39 PM   #23
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
As I said earlier, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. We're all simply stating ours. BTW an A4 doc at 800x480 on a 4" screen is murder on the eyes without magnification. I forgot to mention, I also have an OQO Model 01, OQO Model 01+, Compaq TC1000 Tablet PC, Panasonic WordsGear, and a fairly recently purchased HTC Shift (had to wait for the best price fit to jump on that wagon!).

As you can see, I've been pursuing the ultimate portable e-Doc device for quite a while... still haven't found the perfect one, though the current crop of eInk devices fit the bill quite well for all but comic & A4-size texts/magazines (not to mention no color... yet).

- The TC1000 is absolutely the best for viewing PDF's/A4 docs, though not practical for ebooks due to size, weight and heat. It's great because they didn't waste too much space on the bezel surrounding the screen and it goes straight to slate by simply removing the keyboard. The TC1000 also has conveniently placed navigation buttons right next to your index finger for when you're in portrait-mode, so that a simple flick down takes you to the next page or up to the previous page. The keyboard's a bit awkward, but you sort of get used to it over time... well, maybe not. Battery life started in the 6 hour range but after-markets are down around 2.5.

- The OQO's 4" display does 800x480 too and stuff I was viewing on it was way too tiny to be of practical use. When you zoomed scrolling it's a pain and not very smooth due to refresh & rendering. Next is the heat generated by this little guy & it's pretty darn heavy too. I don't even care for it too much as an Internet device either, the keyboard is just too small on a 4" device for practical use & most pages are set up for 1024 fixed-width now so there's always some scrolling to see the whole page.

- The WordsGear... well, it's a nice device too, but Panasonic hampered the heck out of it with all the DRM & conversion utilities to make it useful, not to mention it would have been perfect had it had smooth scrolling instead of jumpy/jerky 1/4 page shift's when viewing something in landscape mode. It's a nice device, but they should have put more time in it than to simply get it out for their proprietary format; i.e., not very open. If anyone wants to make me an offer on it, let me know. If you speak/read Japanese, it comes with a bunch of free Japanese-language books & the PDF-plugin.

- The HTC Shift is now my system of choice for portable surfing, dev'ing, office stuff, & the works. It's also pretty darn good with all those pesky A4 docs, since everything isn't scrunched up on a 4" screen. While it's a little on the heavy size, most portable Tablets even micro models are in relation to their size. It's actually a pretty slick system & I'm glad I got it, it's helped settle my search for a portable PC w/o compromising on a clam-shell design (I had to have a Tablet, slate or convertable), something that's too bulky/large, having a ultra-small keyboard, or worse yet, not having a "tactile" keyboard at all.

If the newer crop of Asus Eees had been out, I might have went for one of those or the new HP, but the Eee wasted a ton of space with a useless bezel and none were Tablets aside from the Khojinsha & Fujitsu's and their screens were/are a little on the small size. The Shuttle Tablet looked nice to me when I got a hands-on, but the keyboard was a bit awkward & cramped. I could pick up a fairly recent Fujitsu Loox today for ~$750 (a pretty darn good bargain!), but while it has a pretty high res for it's size, the screen looks small to me.

For me, eInk will reign supreme for novels, the Touch will keep my happy with comics, tech docs, & magazines on-the-go, and the Shift will keep me satisfied with A4 stuff at home & on long trips. Can't wait for the consolidated device, maybe we'll see it when the newer crop of larger eInk screens actually turn out, or better yet with the color eInk! I think I'm done now... :P
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:59 PM   #24
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Guys, read his lips: Berni's cool reading on smaller devices! If the iPod works for you, go for it! (I'm personally keeping an eye out for e-book reading apps for my new phone, an LG Dare... not that I need to use it for e-book reading, but what the hey!)
I haven't found any info on what OS it uses, or whether it's even possible to install third-party apps, so don't hold your breath...
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:29 PM   #25
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

A little follow-up report. I purchased the Pogo Stylus and I'm happy to report it works really well. You do have to press a bit harder than you would with your finger but by much. Holding the stylus perpendicular to the screen requires less pressure than holding it at an angle.

It has a fuzzy tip which works well for typing and swiping (fewer fingerprints). I'm now able to type faster with more accuracy than I could with my finger. While listening to audiobooks I was having problems with the slide bar if I needed to back up the audio a bit. This stylus is much more accurate (there's that word again) than my finger, which would overshoot the mark more often than not.

It comes with a couple of clips that allow the stylus to attach to the side of the Touch or iPhone. I have leather cover on my Touch but the cover is open on the sides just enough for me to be able to use the clip (I'm just using one clip).

I'll play with it a while before I leave my review on Amazon which I think will be 5 stars, depending on how well the tip holds up after prolonged use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	022.JPG
Views:	483
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	16300   Click image for larger version

Name:	024.JPG
Views:	467
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	16301   Click image for larger version

Name:	023.JPG
Views:	497
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	16302  
Old 09-15-2008, 08:35 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My wife has an iPod Touch and I've tried it for reading and I don't like it. I don't like the small screen and I don't like the fingerprints. My 505 is so much easier on the eyes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:37 PM   #27
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Thanks for the review Daffy! I think I'll have to get me a Pogo. I've been running into the same problem trying to rewind in audio books. It's been quite frustrating.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:52 AM   #28
kovacs
iPod Reader
kovacs began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel View Post
I guess everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I'll stand by my observation that the Touch is superior to any of the PDA's I've used to date.
I agree fully. I read 2-3 hours on my iPod Touch every single day. It is a brilliant reading device. Battery life is excellent for me.

As for the original topic, Stanza lets you download directly from their site to the Touch via WiFi, and you can also transfer books via Stanza desktop IIRC.
kovacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:12 PM   #29
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
The Stanza desktop will let you transfer books to the ipod touch via wifi, but you need to configure the firewall on your wireless router to allow it. I would be far happier if you could share of USB as well. At the moment I am using Stanza to covert books to eReader format and then putting them on a web page to download them to the iPod Touch. Its not exactly an elegant solution but it works ok.

My biggest complaint about the iPod Touch as an book reader is the size of the screen. I think I can live quite happily with an LCD screen (except for battery life issues... the Jetbook would be if it supported something besides straight text) since I often spend 12-14 hours a day looking at computer screens with no issues. My biggest complaint about the Touch and other PDA sized devices is that they are... well PDA sized. A 3.5" diagonal screen is a bit on the small size. I have to use smaller text than I like to get what I think is a reasonable amount of reading between page turns. Even then we are talking about maybe half as much text per page as you would get from a mass market paper back.

For me this is the biggest justification against using the ipod Touch and pda size devices as an ereader. I think a 5" screen would the smallest reasonable size for (me) a device that would be used for the bulk of one's reading.

If Apple was ever to release an UMPC with a 6" or 7" screen, I could easily see myself use it as my primary ereader. Until then I will keep looking at the devices coming out.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:54 PM   #30
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
For me this is the biggest justification against using the ipod Touch and pda size devices as an ereader. I think a 5" screen would the smallest reasonable size for (me) a device that would be used for the bulk of one's reading.
It's the old problem of form factor. It's why I'm not interested in a "converged" device that is cell phone and PDA. Some of the things I do require a larger screen than a cell phone is likely to have.

My reader of choice is a Palm OS PDA with a 3.5 screen in 320x480 resolution. Depending upon reader and font, I can get about 25 lines of text per screen, or about 400 words, and I'm comfortable reading on it. By turning the back light all the way off, I can read it outdoors.

I shy away from the current dedicated readers because I need color, and I need a device that does other things besides display ebooks.

I'm not interested in an iPhone, but if I got one the iPhone port of eReader would be the first thing I'd put on it.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!