Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-10-2011, 08:03 AM   #1
yoshid
yoshid began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
streaming video on kobo vox

has anyone been able to stream videos from sources other than netflix?
sidereel, 1channel.ch... etc.?

many streaming websites out there use flash video codec which plays on kobo after installing flash plug-in but the video is very choppy. I'm guessing it's because of the processor/ram limitations or is it only my device?
yoshid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:45 AM   #2
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
I streamed some video from ctv.ca the other day. It worked reasonably well, although it was quite choppy. I was able to follow along though, so it suited my needs. It would be nice to have smoother vid though.
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:16 AM   #3
yoshid

I tried streaming from cbc.ca video section, same issue as you had laura, the video is playing but not smoothly. I think this is where the faster processor would come in handy.
if anybody out there has an idea of how to improve the video quality while streaming I would greatly appreciate some pointers. thank you.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #4
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshid View Post
I tried streaming from cbc.ca video section, same issue as you had laura, the video is playing but not smoothly. I think this is where the faster processor would come in handy.
if anybody out there has an idea of how to improve the video quality while streaming I would greatly appreciate some pointers. thank you.
I don't think there's much you can do. I have a NC with CM7.1 and it has the same issues, there's not enough horsepower under the hood for this kind of thing. This is where a dual-core and some more RAM shines.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #5
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
The Vox can play videos from my local WiFi network/server without any problems. Except for a few obscurish file formats.

This, in my opinion, it's not the Vox CPU that's the problem. I don't know where the problem might be though. Maybe not quite good enough buffering.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #6
yoshid

I'm able to stream HD video over my local LAN via wifi without any hiccups. I've uploaded one of the HD video files to my web server and was able to stream through http just as well. curious.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:39 PM   #7
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshid View Post
I'm able to stream HD video over my local LAN via wifi without any hiccups. I've uploaded one of the HD video files to my web server and was able to stream through http just as well. curious.
The problem is not the streaming per se, but flash in the browser. I can play ctv.ca on my dual-core tablet, and it is very smooth, but on the NC it's unwatchable due to the choppiness.

Streaming from your own web server is not that much different than playing from the SD card, provided you have the bandwidth.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:23 PM   #8
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Yes, it is choppy! I have the VLC player installed which appears to have allowed me to use my PlayOn app to watch TV. It can be quite slow loading but I do get a some of the US TV sites without using VPN or proxy (TV.com, the CW, TBS, National Geographic, PBS, The Walking Dead episodes,and TVLinks which has a lot of the most popular shows on right now). Doesn't look good for using the VPN to get Hulu etc. unless Kobo updates their firmware.
My VPN provider has pretty much tried everything they know of to get it to work and it just doesn't...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:36 AM   #9
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
I haven't noticed a huge issue with chop. I get it occasionally, but not for more than a short time.

Perhaps using a Task Killing app makes the difference?
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:47 PM   #10
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Which Task Killing app do you recommend?
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:21 PM   #11
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
I'm using Mobo Task Killer. You'll have to teach it to ignore certain apps, but then you can have it auto-optimize.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote