Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-30-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
Buy US Kindle book outside US?

I want to buy a Kindle book not available in my country, and I have a friend in the US a the moment using my Kindle account on his iPad.

Is there any way he can buy a book available in the US only? He's tried using my account but it is attached to my Australian credit card.

Any ideas?

I've been trying to get this book for ages. This is why people pirate books!
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:16 AM   #2
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
Why don't you transfer the account to your US-based friend's credit card? or maybe you don't even have to do that - try changing your country to the US and use your US-based friend's address.
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:24 AM   #3
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Stay at your friends house for a while.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:58 AM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
All you have to do is to set up an additional "payment method" on your existing account. Use your friend's US credit/debit card for that (or, better, get him to do it himself). Then select the new payment method as your One-Click payment type.

You won't need to set up any additional account or re-register your Kindle, and you can change it back to your usual method at any time
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
This is what I would do. Buy yourself a US Amazon gift card large enough to cover the cost of the book you wish to buy. Apply those gift card funds to the Amazon account that has the Kindle and iPAD registered.

Then have your friend in the US go to the Manage Your Kindle webpage and change the address to his mailing address in the US. It probably be safer to remove the Australian credit card and put in one of his cards, but you really don't have to. Then have him buy the book from his iPAD. Since the location that the book is being bought from is in the US, you'll be okay. The cost of the book will be deducted from the gift card, not charged to whatever credit card is on the account.

At that point you can change the payment method back to your Australian credit card and your address to Australia if you want.

Your book will be available in your Kindle archives. It probably be safest to download it to your computer via a US VPN IP address but I doubt you'll trigger any warnings over just one book. Those usually seem to happen when users buy numerous books at one time from a location that doesn't match their Kindle address.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:11 AM   #6
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
Thanks for the replies.

I should have been clearer - my friend is on holiday in the US - he doesn't live there.

We managed to buy from the Sony store using a pre-paid US credit card, but I didn't manage to get Amazon to accept the pre-paid card.

I now found another book I can't buy though...so I might see what I can achieve, but my friend has left the US now.

thanks
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:23 PM   #7
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
He still has a US address though, doesnt he. And that is all you need. Buy yourself a gift card, email it to yourself, then change your address to the US address in your account. Buy your book, apply your gift card number and download it to your PC then onto your kindle. When you get used to it, simply buy it and whispernet if you like, both methods will work
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:45 AM   #8
GlassX
Connoisseur
GlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3, K4NT
My question is not about books, but about Kindle itself. Unfortunately my country is not listed under the global amazon thing and I could end up paying much more money because of customs fees.
If a friend of mine who lives in the US, buys the Kindle for me and brings it on his next trip, will I be having any problems using it in my country?
I'm asking this because a) another person would be buying it officialy, b) that Kindle would be sold in the US.
Are these important parameters for Kindle use?
GlassX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:51 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please don't "hijack" someone else's thread to ask a question completely unrelated to the subject of the thread. Create a new thread for your question.

Thank you.

[Moderator]
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:18 AM   #10
GlassX
Connoisseur
GlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3, K4NT
Well, I didnt think it was unrelated as the topic was about Kindle stuff bought in the US and used outside US and I thought I shouldnt just open another topic for just one question, but it's OK. Will do...
GlassX is offline   Reply With Quote