Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
ibu
Addict
ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo H20, iPhone 6+, Macbook Pro
Ordered List: No more than one numeral is visible

When you view a simple ordered list in Kobo Glo (FW 2.8.1) with more than 9 entries, you get a "1" instead of "10" or a "12" etc.

Is there any hack to solve that problem?

Code to reproduce it (no CSS at all):

Code:
<ol>
	<li>Lorem</li>
	<li>Ipsum</li>
	<li>Dolor</li>
	<li>Sid</li>
	<li>Adipisit</li>
	<li>Consectutur</li>
	<li>Eiusmod</li>
	<li>Ullamco</li>
	<li>Minim</li>
	<li>Nostrud</li>
</ol>

Thanks.
ibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
A similar case (and solution) is described here. The difference is that there they got 0 instead of 10, and 1 instead of 11 and so on. But maybe you can adjust the solution to your case somehow.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
ibu
Addict
ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.

@tshering
Thanks for the hint.
The linked page http://www.propping-up-the-bar.com/?p=316 on the page you mentioned is down.
I did not understand what markup they use.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:33 PM   #4
tlaine
Zealot
tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Mini; Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
The difference is that there they got 0 instead of 10, and 1 instead of 11 and so on. But maybe you can adjust the solution to your case somehow.
I had this happen while reading the other day; increased the margins slider and the numbers showed up listed properly.
tlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:43 AM   #5
ibu
Addict

@tlaine
I increased the margins slider position, but without success.

If somebody likes to reproduce it, here's a test case (not made by me).
Advert
Old 09-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #6
tlaine
Zealot
tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.

@ibu I was suggesting an on-the-fly (on-the-read?) temporary solution to what tshering was posting. As an end user of retail epubs I just want to read, not fix.

Your example needs CSS.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #7
ibu
Addict

@tlaine
I don't know which CSS or which temporary method could solve the problem.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #8
tlaine
Zealot

I don't believe lists are inherently a Kobo, maybe not even an ePub problem. If you ask in the ePub forum, you may get some good suggestions for what you need.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:52 AM   #9
ibu
Addict

I don't know who is responsible at the end. May be Adobe.
But I'm sure that Kobo is responsible for it's product. And it cannot display a basic HTML element, an ordered list, correctly.

In the thread in german language on the platform "lesen.net", where the testcase has been posted (I linked it in this thread in post #5) the people regard the behaviour as a bug and they told Kobo that in Octobe 2012.
Old 12-06-2015, 03:29 PM   #10
cyttorak
cyttorak began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
I have the same problem in Kobo mini
is there any solution?
cyttorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:08 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
From memory, this is a problem with the Adobe RMSDK that is used to render epubs. I haven't tested this recently, but I don't think it has changed. One of the links above has a suggestion to fix this for each book by changing the CSS.

Also, for a question like this, it is always a good idea to include the firmware version you are running. The firmware is the same across the Kobo devices, but there a plenty of changes between versions.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:43 AM   #12
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I tested it on my Glo with 3.18.0 and it can happen in both the ePub and KePub readers, depending on the font size and margin settings.

It also happens in the calibre ebook viewer if I increase the font size a bit using the controls in the viewer, so it doesn't seem to be a RMSDK- or Kobo-specific issue.

Edit: Adding ol { padding-left: 1em; } to the book's stylesheet seems to be enough to solve the problem for two-digit lists in the ePub reader, but I needed to use 2em for the KePub reader and Calibre viewer.

Last edited by GeoffR; 12-07-2015 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Add 1em padding, or 2em for KePub or Calibre viewer.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:46 AM   #13
cyttorak
cyttorak began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
My firmware version is 3.4.1 (d83b1b0e2a, 25/05/14)

I have tried with ol { padding-left: 1em; } without success.
cyttorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:36 AM   #14
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyttorak View Post
My firmware version is 3.4.1 (d83b1b0e2a, 25/05/14)

I have tried with ol { padding-left: 1em; } without success.
I just tested on a Mini with firmware 3.4.1 and I see the problem is quite different to my Glo with firmware 3.18.0: no amount of padding would fix the problem in the ePub reader on the Mini, but it worked for the KePub reader.

Firmware 3.4.1 was the last version where the ePub reader used the old RMSDK, there was a major upgrade to RMSDK10 starting with firmware 3.5.0. So you might need to try a more recent firmware version to solve the problem. Edit: Or you could convert the problem book to KePub and add 2em left padding and stay on 3.4.1.

Last edited by GeoffR; 12-07-2015 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Or you could convert the problem book to KePub
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote