Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-12-2013, 11:31 PM   #1
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
9.18 (and Sigil) fail to start

9.18 and Sigil (6.2 and 6.902beta) have both started misbehaving (Vista 32 bit PC)

Both were working fine, and then Sigil would start and the exit immediately

Calbre was a little better; I can open it now, but 'Bulk Convert' opens a dialog, but just clicking on Convert causes an immediate exit. Same for Edit Metadata.

Restarted PC, uninstalled / reinstalled both several time in different orders.

No difference.

Figured out how to start Calibre in debug mode, the the last entry in the log file is for opening a book. Crashs without adding anything when I go to edit metadata.

Exported and deleted TrollTech from registry, and Calibre recreates keys as expected.

I has MS 2010 C++ redistributable 10.0.40219 but unisntalled to to let Calibre install a slightly older version but no difference

The only thing 'funny' was when I was installing 9.18 there was a message I'd never seen before about files / serices in use and to restart PC afterwards. Never had that before.

Everything else on the PC is working fine

ANY ideas or suggestions .... please

Paul

Last edited by phossler; 02-12-2013 at 11:33 PM.
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:37 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....s-occasionally
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2013, 12:05 AM   #3
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Constant Guard Protection by Xfinity causes crashes in calibre. You have to manually allow calibre in it or uninstall Constant Guard Protection.
You are my new best friend !!!

That fixed both issues. I never new that CG had that 'feature'

There must have been something new in 9.18 and Sigil beta to trigger CG's 'Unsafe Program' block, since I never had the problem until a few days ago when I updated.

Life is good -- thanks again

Paul
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote