Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-30-2008, 05:30 PM   #1
SnafuRacer
SnafuRacer began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Newsweek Recipe

Hello, I'm starting to look into adding more recipes to Calibre but I'm running into trouble with Newsweek and similar rss feeds.
I tried the incorporated Newsweek recipe but always get an error. I tried to add my own custom recipe and copied the rss feed links following the example provided on the software's page for Portfolio. The problem I ran into is that the software downloaded the whole page (Like "email author" "Read Author Bio" links and all user comments following the articles). I tried to use the advanced mode to include just the print version like the example on the software's homepage is again but still run into problems.
Is there an easier way to edit the links to provide a cleaner interface once content is downloaded? Does anyone here have a recipe for Newsweek to share?

Thanks.
SnafuRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:00 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
what problem are you having with the built-in recipe?
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2008, 12:35 PM   #3
SnafuRacer

I copy/pasted the rss links off the Newsweek page to make a custom recipe, but it downloads everything off every page to include all additional links like Print Article/Email Author....as well as all user comments. When I tried to follow your suggestion to tweak the links in advanced mode and change them to the print version, I ran in a snag that there doesn't seem to be a straightforward template but rather each article has an article id that ends up being printed unlike the example in your website for the BBC.
BTW, when I try to use the provided Newsweek recipe in the software, I receive the following error message:

Quote:
safe_unicode() takes exactly 2 arguments (1 given)
Detailed traceback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "main.py", line 732, in news_fetched
File "main.py", line 1112, in conversion_job_exception
TypeError: safe_unicode() takes exactly 2 arguments (1 given)
There also doesn't seem to be a way to edit the provided recipes.

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:40 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try running the recipes from the command line to get a more detailed idea of why they're failing. So for newsweek

Code:
feeds2lrf --debug Newsweek
Old 07-07-2008, 02:32 PM   #5
SnafuRacer

Kovid, I was able to finally run your built-in Newsweek recipe, but only when Reader is disconnected. Then I'd send the file later to the device.
It's a clean recipe with the main articles but I wanted to edit it to be able to download the various columns available. I found your recipe postedhere. How could I edit this file so that I can add my own feed links for Newsweek columns? I made my own recipe with all the links, but the appearance is horrible.
The recipe posted here is definitely a little difficult to understand and thus edit to include all the weekly content (articles + columns) that I'd like to get!
Can you or anyone else assist?
Thanks.

Last edited by SnafuRacer; 07-07-2008 at 02:44 PM.
Advert
Old 07-07-2008, 02:35 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

look at the section of the user manual on writing custom recipes to learn how to modify the recipe.