Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-21-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony prs505
Buying a 2nd reader and have questions

Hi I have a sony 505 (which I absolutely love) and I am buying a sony 300 as well. Are there going to be any strange conflicts with my software programs. I have the sony reader software as well as calibre and ADE. Will I be able to load content onto the 300 that I have already loaded to my sony 505? Also can I authorize this 300 on 2 different computers? There will be another person using this device as much or more than I will be and they have their own computer.....will the device work on both computers or will it get confused?
artemisblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:27 AM   #2
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
I think you are limited to registering three computers and three readers with the Sony software. As long as stay within that limitation, you can share content between them using the same Sony Reader Library account. I have been doing exactly what you are asking about without problem.
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2010, 05:05 AM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken401 View Post
I think you are limited to registering three computers and three readers with the Sony software. As long as stay within that limitation, you can share content between them using the same Sony Reader Library account. I have been doing exactly what you are asking about without problem.
I don't think, there's a limit of readers. I've got 5 Sony readers (300, 505, 600, 700 and 900) and I use them all within the very same instance of Sony's library software. I think, there's only a limit of total activations, be it computers or readers.
I haven't got any problems either. I've simplified the process of keeping my readers up to date by using different syncing schemes, directly in Sony's library software. For example, because of the limited space, I only sync certain file formats to Sony 300.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
I checked the FAQ option at the bottom of the Reader Library screen to check what Sony says about limits, and thought I would share what I found:

Question
Where do I find the remaining number of devices that I can authorize with my account?

Answer
You are allowed to authorize up to six computers (via Reader Library) and up to six portable devices (via USB and/or wireless).

To see what devices you currently have registered to your account;

Launch the Reader Library Software.
Go to eBooks Store and login with your Username and Password.
Click on My account.
Page down to the section "My Authorized Devices" which will show you how many and what devices are authorized to your account.
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemisblossom View Post
Also can I authorize this 300 on 2 different computers?
I think this is a common misconception. The reader is not authorized "to a computer". The reader is authorized to an "account".

So, if you have two PC's authorized to the same Sony/Adobe account and you authorize a reader to that account also, no matter which PC you connect it to do the authorization, then it will be able to transfer ebooks from either computer. You only authorize the reader once.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2010, 12:55 AM   #6
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

So does this mean that if I authorize the new reader to my account and put some books on it and then give it to a family member or friend they will be unable to register it to their own account? Would it be simpler if I just loaded it through something like calibre with non drm books....or will it work with calibre?What is the best way to give a reader loaded with say a dozen books on it to someone?
Old 03-23-2010, 10:09 AM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So does this mean that if I authorize the new reader to my account and put some books on it and then give it to a family member or friend they will be unable to register it to their own account?
Yes...

Quote:
Would it be simpler if I just loaded it through something like calibre with non drm books....or will it work with calibre?
Yes, DRM free books are always easier.

Quote:
What is the best way to give a reader loaded with say a dozen books on it to someone?
It depends. Do you want them to just be able to read the books you put on it for them? Or, do you want to give them some books and also allow them to buy and add their own books?

So, bottom line... with DRMed ebooks you can only read the ebooks that were bought with an account that the reader is registered to. So, if you give me a reader that is registered to your account with DRMed books on it... I would be able to read those books... but if I tried to put books on it that I bought with my account they wouldn't work.

(Yes DRM really sucks.)

BOb
Old 03-23-2010, 10:59 PM   #8
artemisblossom
Groupie

Thanks for your reply Bob what I want to do is to give her the reader with some of her favorite books on it (non drm) for Easte, rand let her get her own account and purchase whatever books she wants. I will remove the drm from the books I will purchase and put on the reader before I give it to her so that wont be a problem I am just worried about what program I should use to load them onto the reader. If I use my Sony software it will register the reader to my account won't it? What about Adobe Digital editions or Calibre. If you wanted to give a Sony reader with a dozen or so books on it to someone how would you do it?
Old 03-23-2010, 11:29 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I am just worried about what program I should use to load them onto the reader. If I use my Sony software it will register the reader to my account won't it?
No it won't. But, just use Windows Explorer... or Finder if you are on a Mac.

BOb
Old 03-24-2010, 04:26 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You should note that transferring the ownership of eBooks is prohibited by most eBook stores. Please check with the store whether what you intend to do is permitted.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:35 AM   #11
artemisblossom
Groupie

I don't know that it is technically transferring ownership..........I am giving it to her for a few months while she is away finishing up her placement but she will be giving it back when she graduates and comes home for the summer.