Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-10-2014, 03:20 AM   #1
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Editing the text inside Calibre

Well, I create my own epubs.

But I also check the final book on the hardware reader. And sometimes there are errors.

So far I was not able to find a solution, google wasn't helpful at all, also the answer is not here - or I wasn't able to find one.

I see lots of images that show an entry in the contextual menu (right-click) labelled Edit book. I only have Tweak book. My version is 0.9.4, which was the last I've seen on its webpage.

Anyway, choosing Tweak, it opens the epub as a ZIP folder, which is filled with dozens and sometimes hundreds of XHTML files. A search/replace for a regular typo is wasting the time.

The other solution, to edit the original file, means to readd every time the file to calibre (deleting the older one before), modify all the settings each time (because I hope this is the final version, not because I am masochistic), run convert (that's fast), attach the eReader, copy the book and so on.

I am looking for a method to perform all these editing steps in calibre, on the book I've imported. I must be blind no to see something that is in my humble opinion a very important feature.

So far I've found a workaround, but IMHO it shouldn't be a workaround but a real solution.

Thankx for any hint.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:50 AM   #2
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
First, try upgrading to calibre version 2.2. Then try reading the friendly (user) manual which calibre has. It will elaborate about all features.
As a short cut: you need the edit-book feature, which will give you full control to edit an ebook to your likings.

Have fun!
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2014, 03:53 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
My version is 0.9.4, which was the last I've seen on its webpage.
@Ghitulescu - well then that web page is not the calibre web page which is this one ==>> calibre - E-book management

There you will find version 2.2. Version 0.9.4 was released on 16 Aug, 2013, there's a new release of calibre almost every week - so by my reckoning you're about 50 releases behind. The book editor your looking for is in 2.2.

But if your using XP you'll have to use version 1.48. Old versions are here ==>> Previous calibre releases

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-10-2014 at 03:55 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:03 AM   #4
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the answers.

Yes I have XP and not intended to change it as many of my software are only 32b and in their last version.

I had no idea they change calibre so fast, indeed last year I've used the calibre.

I usually read the user manual. But I got confused, since the info there did not match mine .
Old 09-10-2014, 04:23 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The editor is in 1.48. Its still under active development so you wont be able to have future enhancements, but it has extensive functionality as it stands at 1.48.

BR
Advert
Old 09-10-2014, 05:46 AM   #6
Chiron scriba
Bücherwurm
Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
The editor is in 1.48. Its still under active development so you wont be able to have future enhancements, but it has extensive functionality as it stands at 1.48.
I too would prefer to stay with XP as long as I can (the known devil...), thus I'm confined to calibre 1.48.

So far I took literally the statement I found somewhere, that calibre is a viewer and not an editor, but of course the possibility to correct small typos on the spot inside calibre would be a great improvement over my current technique of working with one eye on calibre and the other one on Sigil on two separate monitors, which in the long run will render me hopelessly cross-eyed

Is the editor a plug-in or rather a part of calibre itself?
In the former case, where can I download it?
In the latter, how do I get there?

Any hint will be highly appreciated
Chiron scriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:31 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@Chiron scriba - its in the base product - select a book that has an EPUB or AZW3 and press 't', or add Edit Book to Toolbars/Menus via Preferences->Toolbars. The version in 1.48 is more than adequate for most corrective editing.

It can also be run standalone, its in the install folder as C:\Program Files\Calibre2\ebook-edit.exe or C:\Program Files (X86)\Calibre2\ebook-edit.exe

calibre is a lot more than a viewer, in fact that's one its 'secondary' features (although its better than many other Windows ereaders), most people prefer to read their books on ereaders phones and tablet.

BR
Old 09-10-2014, 07:18 AM   #8
Chiron scriba
Bücherwurm
Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
calibre is a lot more than a viewer
Agreed unconditionally! As a matter of fact it's the best e-book tool I ever run into since I got my first e-book, the only one that enables you to do all you need to handle your e-books and a little more.
Until this morning it only lacked a simple editing feature, but since you filled the hole...
Chiron scriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:19 AM   #9
Ghitulescu
Fanatic

Just for curiosity, are any improvements in Calibre 1.48 (or for that matter 2 something) over 0.9, in particular in relation to diacritics (non English letters and signs) and the way page codes are treated?

I also noticed that in 0.9 I have if one feeds it with an HTML the extension remains the same, although correctly it would have been XHTML (not a big effort to program it).
Old 09-10-2014, 11:01 AM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
Just for curiosity, are any improvements in Calibre 1.48 (or for that matter 2 something) over 0.9, in particular in relation to diacritics (non English letters and signs) and the way page codes are treated?

I also noticed that in 0.9 I have if one feeds it with an HTML the extension remains the same, although correctly it would have been XHTML (not a big effort to program it).
@Ghitulescu - read the release Notes, search for 0.9.0 and read upwards from there ==> calibre - What's new

You could install the portable version of 1.48 and look at what the software actually does, it wont disturb what you already have.

BR

Tags
calibre