Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-31-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
Quinto
Quinto began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Effective screen pixels

Hi, I have a question regarding the effective screen pixels. I found out on Wikipedia that the effective pixels are 754 x 584, but including the bar with the page number. And I would like to know the height without this bar, since I use to read manga and imo it's better to have the images at 100% than let the reader rescale it.

Quinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:18 AM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
The way I read that Wiki entry is that the full screen is 600 x 800 pixels, but effective height is 754 pixels because, when reading a book, the page number bar is 46 pixels in height. I'm not sure why the 16 width pixels are 'lost'.

A screensaver of 600x800 should fit OK, because there is no page number bar.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2012, 07:08 AM   #3
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
.... I'm not sure why the 16 width pixels are 'lost'.
You will find this also with all previous models, I think this is to have
a) a minimal margin and
b) to give some allowance in screen/case assembly.
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:32 AM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nord View Post
You will find this also with all previous models, I think this is to have
a) a minimal margin and
b) to give some allowance in screen/case assembly.
Thank you. That sounds plausible
Old 06-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #5
Quinto

Quote:
The way I read that Wiki entry is that the full screen is 600 x 800 pixels, but effective height is 754 pixels because, when reading a book, the page number bar is 46 pixels in height. I'm not sure why the 16 width pixels are 'lost'.

A screensaver of 600x800 should fit OK, because there is no page number bar.
Thanks! But in fact my screensavers are of 754 x 584 to get full screen without rescaling. I'll check it out again, but in the beginning I tried with a 800 x 600 image, getting margins on both sides and the image rescaled
I guess the only solution is to test with different sizes and see which one fits...
Advert
Old 06-01-2012, 10:47 AM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinto View Post
Thanks! But in fact my screensavers are of 754 x 584 to get full screen without rescaling. I'll check it out again, but in the beginning I tried with a 800 x 600 image, getting margins on both sides and the image rescaled
I guess the only solution is to test with different sizes and see which one fits...
I just tried a 600x800 screensaver. I don't have any margins, the image completely fills the screen when the T1 is in standby and when viewing using the Pictures application.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #7
Quinto

I haven't tried in depth, but I think you were right, and the size given on Wikipedia is of the effective reading screen. But I tried to use a 800 x 600 image as screensaver and keep getting margins... not so wide, but annoying. I attach a poor image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snap.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	87202  
Old 06-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

If you want to attach one of your misbehaving 600x800 jpgs I'll try it on my reader, if you like. See if I can figure out what's going wrong.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:13 AM   #9
Quinto

Thanks for your help
Here is a cover with the black sides to see the margins better.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	788420442952.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	87208  
Old 06-02-2012, 08:23 AM   #10
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Hmm...here is a photo of what your image looks like as a screensaver on my PRST1. As you see, there are no white bars down the side.

So, what is different about your setup? How, exactly are you setting it as a screensaver?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	T1scrnsavr.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	87211  
Old 06-02-2012, 09:11 AM   #11
Quinto

Quote:
Hmm...here is a photo of what your image looks like as a screensaver on my PRST1. As you see, there are no white bars down the side.

So, what is different about your setup? How, exactly are you setting it as a screensaver?
I use as screensaver the cover of the last-read book and don't manage to see the screensaver without margin... I'm thinking that maybe it has to do with the css style of the cover page. By the way, I tried again with the book of the first photo I attached (not the second one) and it worked I dind't change anything, just opened the book and turned the reader off to see the screensaver... I'm starting to go crazy
Thanks again for your help!
Old 06-02-2012, 09:40 AM   #12
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

If you're using cover of last read book then the next question is what is the actual size of the cover image inside the book? Are you a calibre user and if so are you using calibre to convert your books to epub format before transferring to the reader? If so, depending on your calibre conversion settings, it may rescale your stored image as it is inserted into the epub. You can set calibre to create cover images which will always completely fill the screen. The downside (depending on your point-of-view) will be that some covers will look slightly distorted because they have been stretched to fit.

I can elaborate if necessary.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #13
Quinto

I use Sigil to make the ePubs and then I transfer it to the reader just putting it into the reader folder or with the software of Sony. But the point is that the "cover.jpg" image I use has 800 x 600 pixels and I get always blank margins on both sides, as it can be seen in the first photo. And it seems you don't get these annoying margins...
Old 06-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #14
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Just for this test I used the 'selected pictures' option for screensaver. In real life I use the calibre 'svg cover, don't retain aspect ratio' option to avoid the unsightly margins.

I'm going out now, but when I return I'll try a real book with a 600x800 cover and see what happens.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #15
Quinto

If I use an image it works, but not with the cover of the book. I don't use Calibre conversions because I prefer to make it my way.
All your tests are welcome!