Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 04-08-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
romnempire
romnempire began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Cropping PDFs

I've recently been searching for a tool to do a hard crop on PDFs, because I'm running out of space on my reader. By this I mean, in PDFCropper (i think, it says it does on the site, i haven't tested it) and with Briss, the program generates frames, but actually keeps the entire image in the PDF. In fact, when I cropped a dual page scan using Briss, when I ran an image extractor, it seemed as if it was duplicating the image rather than generating a new frame on the same image: effectively doubling the PDF size devoted to images. (Is it supposed to do that?)

So I've been looking for a tool that does what Briss does, but actually crops the images stored in the PDF. I'm aware runtime on that kind of job would be exponentially greater, but I'm still trying to find a tool for it.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a tool like this?
romnempire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:42 AM   #2
laborg
Zealot
laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Cybook Gen3
hi!
briss will duplicate the pages on your 2-page scans if you create 2 crop rectangles but this doesn't mean that the images are stored twice. Within the pdf file the image is stored only once and on the second page there will be just a reference to the other image. both pages will have completely different visible areas and therefore it will look like as if original page was split.

What I would like to know: You want to have a hardcrop because your sd-card is limited? You only use scanned pdfs?

best regards,
laborg
laborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2011, 12:59 AM   #3
romnempire
romnempire began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
hm, it must have been a shoddy implementation of the part of the pdf to image converter instead. That's good to know. If briss isn't actually doubling my images, then there really is no purpose to a hardcrop. Actually, most of my kindle is filled with music and audiobooks, and I just need a few books in PDF because I need proper page numbers for them.

...upon further inspection, whatever packed the dual-page scans must have had magic compression strats or something, as unpack/repack jobs are giving me even larger filesizes than briss. I guess briss isn't enlarging my file, but simply not compressing it as well? ...In any matter, I really doubt it's worth it to implement hard crop.

By the way, I've enjoyed using briss on other... less weird jobs, so thanks and congratulations for it.
romnempire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
briss, crop, image, pdf