Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-28-2010, 04:32 AM   #1
grimborg
Enthusiast
grimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-T1
My ereader requirements --advice? Nook? Alex? Something else?:)

Fellow ereaders,

My PRS-505 was recently stolen and I'm now looking for a better ereader. I've been reading reviews of the other Sony readers, Nook, Cybook... but I'm not at all convinced. I'm hoping you can shine a light on this.

Here's what I'd like to have in my reader:

-Nice screen: readability is most important for me. Not LCD, and probably no touch screen either.
-Not too big or too small. PRS-505 size was good, 300 is too small, Kindle DX is too big.
-Decent, resizable (, changeable) fonts. PRS-505 default serif font was ugly (I replaced it), and it didn't have italics, it just slanted the font.
-No weird issues when copying books to it. I'm using gnu/linux, and uploading books should be as easy as copying them to the ereader.
-ePub or something similar, plus PDF (with and without reflow)
-Not too expensive (preferably <$300)

Nice additions:
-Search.
-Nicely formatted text.

I don't need wifi or 3G.

The Nook looks nice, although I'm not sure about the fonts or the readability of the screen. Same goes for the Alex eReader, although it's twice as expensive as the Nook.

Any advice?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by grimborg; 07-28-2010 at 04:42 AM.
grimborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:18 AM   #2
grimborg
Enthusiast
grimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toys

After reading more posts I think a softrooted Nook may do the trick for me, together with papercrop and briss to adapt my PDFs. I ordered it on Purelygadgets

I'll let you know how it goes!
Old 07-28-2010, 08:29 AM   #3
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
we are surely glad to have been of some (virtual) assistance in your choice !!!! :snortle:
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:48 AM   #4
grimborg
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
we are surely glad to have been of some (virtual) assistance in your choice !!!! :snortle:
The forum was indeed very valuable! Among others, I found how to buy the Nook from Europe and how to fix my PDFs
Old 07-28-2010, 10:06 AM   #5
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
I can only speak for the nook

it has 6 Font choices (extra small up to extra extra Large)
It's screen seems to be one of if not the best screen contrast in the 6 inch size. It's an absolute joy to read on.

Wi Fi and 3G not neccesarry? hmmm maybe not, but I think most people underestimate of what a fantastic feature this is when you have it. And with the nook having a Wi Fi only at $149,...... why not? (even if you don't use it often you still have it in case you ever do feel the need to use it, and I'm willing to bet you would use it more than you think)

supports e-pub

I think you made the right choice.

The nook is a solid and very very enjoyable e-reader. The touchscreen navigation does take a bit of a learning curver, but once you get it down, it actually becomes very fun to use.

Good luck
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:48 AM   #7
grimborg
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I can only speak for the nook

it has 6 Font choices (extra small up to extra extra Large)
It's screen seems to be one of if not the best screen contrast in the 6 inch size. It's an absolute joy to read on.

Wi Fi and 3G not neccesarry? hmmm maybe not, but I think most people underestimate of what a fantastic feature this is when you have it. And with the nook having a Wi Fi only at $149,...... why not? (even if you don't use it often you still have it in case you ever do feel the need to use it, and I'm willing to bet you would use it more than you think)

supports e-pub

I think you made the right choice.

The nook is a solid and very very enjoyable e-reader. The touchscreen navigation does take a bit of a learning curver, but once you get it down, it actually becomes very fun to use.

Good luck
Thanks for the info! I'm glad I bought it, then, especially if the screen is as good as you say. I'm impatient to receive it!