Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-06-2010, 03:08 PM   #1
jackinca
Connoisseur
jackinca began at the beginning.

Device: sony 900
Sony PRS 900BC Ereader

Just received this wonderful device yesterday. The touch screen works very well, and the use of bookmarking, notes etc is remarkable. One warning: The screen is not bright. The e-ink blackness is fine, but the background is a dull grey and particularly noticeable in subdued light. The background greyness of the screen improves quite a bit in normal light especially outdoors which tends to help very much in the contrast between the background and the e-ink, and provides a more normal reading aura. I am an older person but my eye sight is excellent and can read most periodicals without my reading glasses. The bottom line is that a clip-on style reading light addition is a necessity in subdued or dark indoor light situations. Sony sells the PRSA-CL9 book cover which includes the light slide in the center of the book cover for $60., high but I feel is necessary. I purchased a "Mighty Bright" Telescoping Triple LED with an included transformer plug in and three AAA batteries for $22. an excellent clip-on light which works very well but tends to slightly unbalance the Ereader. I am in the process of going back to Sony to buy their light book cover.
jackinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Welcome to the forum jackinca, and congrats on the reader. Be sure and check out all the free books here at mobileread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=126 that are ready to go for your Sony. You can also look a few forums down from that one and get many ePub books that will also work..... And here is a like to free ebooks from the Sony store http://ebooks.addall.com/sonyfree.html . Be sure to check back on the Sony link as the book content changes. A great bookstore is http://www.kobobooks.com/ , they are often cheaper than the Sony store (I for one do not use the Sony store at all)

Again, congrats and have fun!
Old 02-06-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Congratulations! And welcome to MobileRead! I've had my 900 about two weeks now and am it has become my go-to reader. The 505 screen is definitely better, but the 900 is not bad at all and it's features make it a bit more convenient to use.

In addition to Bremen's help above be sure and check whether you local library loans ebooks. Mine does and it's a wonderful way to read new releases without any cost at all (well other than taxes, right? ).

Enjoy!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote