Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
I don't understand apps

It seems like most of the devices these days support the installation of "apps". I don't understand this concept. Granted, some apps really are applications that do something... like being able to identify the song on the radio, but most are (to my mind) nothing more than glorified links to a website.

Why the trend away from mobile websites which are much more device independent? Is there some advantage to the Facebook, Twitter, and Gmail apps that wasn't available from the mobile websites?
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
I can only vouch for the Gmail app as I don't use the other two at all.

The gmail app I have loaded on my android tablet is wonderful. It is integrated into the tablet in a way to make it almost a basic function. "Toolbar" notifications on new emails (when connected to a wireless point) and layouts designed to match the screen make this way easier to use than going out to the website in a browser.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert