Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 12-14-2010, 11:47 AM   #1
devseev
Edge User

Lightbulb use Gmail to view .doc and .docx files on e-Ink side

I've long looked for a way to view .doc and .docx files on my eDGe that doesn't require going on a PC to convert the file to PDF or EPUB.

Here is a solution I have found, using Gmail and the eDGe browser:

Gmail (the web, not mobile version) allows you to view attachments in HTML. In turn, the eDGe browser can convert any HTML page to .epub or .pdf, to be viewed on e-ink side.

I've found that converting to .epub works much better than the .pdf, although even with .epub I have noticed numbered lists/paragraphs and footnotes often don't show. Another issue is that regular Gmail via the Entourage browser doesn't work well - I highly recommend you view Gmail in "basic html" mode.

Still, this method is often a good alternative when you want to read or mark up a document on the e-reader side. As usual, you still need to click the plus icon on the e-reader side to save the document to the library if you want to add mark-ups.

If others have done this with other web-based email clients or through other solutions, I'd be interested to know!

Last edited by devseev; 12-14-2010 at 11:49 AM.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
borisb
Edge User

That's rather clever!

Advert
Old 12-14-2010, 12:20 PM   #3
zed
Edge User

Thanks for this tip.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:59 AM   #4
sjarrel
Edge User

I use this method.
On a PC goto 'www.2epub.com'.
There are 3 steps:
1. upload you .doc file(s).
2. Convert to epub.
3. download your .epub file.
Then you can add the file to library the usuall way. Works fine.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:38 AM   #5
devseev
Edge User

Ah yes, I remember looking at 2epub, but for me the problem was it could not handle .docx, which most of my files are these days.

Also, for non-public files I prefer to stay inside gmail rather than have a third party side do a conversion, but that may not be an issue for others.

As for which method is easier, I think it depends on whether you use Gmail anyway to send files to your eDGe (which I do) or not.

On the positive side - 2epub.com does seems to do a pretty good job of converting footnotes into epub endnotes and hyperlinking the footnote references internally.

Advert