Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-07-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
When is the last time you actually turned your iPad OFF?

Not too long ago I purchased 30 iPads from a Liquidator to resell. These units were all returns and Like New. What struck me was that NOT A SINGLE UNIT HAD BEEN TURNED OFF. All were in sleep mode...

How long has it been since you actually turned you iPad off? (Actually, a rhetorical question but answer if you care too.)
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Anytime I download an epub directly instead of via iTunes, it sort of"sticks." i have to turn it off and back on again to truly clear it out.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I used to calibrate my iPad 1 battery per Apple's instructions, which include powering it down. Haven't bothered with the iPad 2...mostly because the process takes forever.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:57 AM   #4
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Now you mention it I don't think I've ever turned it off - why would you, in all honesty? Mine's probably been restarted a couple of times in the last twelve months after software updates, but I don't think I've ever willingly switched it off; I've probably only docked it four or five times as well <shrug> - my documents sync via dropbox, most of my media is bought over wifi directly on the iPad or streamed through iTunes home sharing/air sharing, so it's only if I want to have photos or video stored on the iPad that I sync - and now I think about it I could probably do that through dropbox as well...

Last edited by petermillard; 05-08-2011 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Typos
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:03 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
These devices really aren't intended to be turned off. Just like an iPhone - I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've turned my iPhone off in the year that I've owned it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2011, 06:27 AM   #6
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
I restart it every time I encounter an unstable app. Often this seems to fix it.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:01 AM   #7
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
These devices really aren't intended to be turned off. Just like an iPhone - I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've turned my iPhone off in the year that I've owned it.
I agree but I would think one would get turned of somewhere along the line between a customer returning it, someone making sue it works, passing on to liquadiator etc etc.
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:13 AM   #8
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
I usually do it if it seems to be sluggish. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it just has a slow connection.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:08 AM   #9
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Turned off (completely). Never.
Rebooted/hard reset. 4 times since I had it. It's usually due to a crashed app. Esp in the older firmware in the very beginning. I can't remember ever having to reboot/hard reset since like iOS 4.2.
("slowness" will disappear when the OS kills off apps in the background and frees memory. Or you can manually do that if you don't want a few seconds of sluggishness during these freeing. Just close the apps in the background yourself)
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:51 PM   #10
Beryl
Enthusiast
Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Kindle
I reset almost daily because it speeds things up. I use my iPad all day and have over 70 apps though. Closing out the apps doesn't always help.
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:39 PM   #11
JCarig
Junior Bottle Washer
JCarig shines like a glazed doughnut.JCarig shines like a glazed doughnut.JCarig shines like a glazed doughnut.JCarig shines like a glazed doughnut.JCarig shines like a glazed doughnut.JCarig shines like a glazed doughnut.JCarig shines like a glazed doughnut.JCarig shines like a glazed doughnut.JCarig shines like a glazed doughnut.JCarig shines like a glazed doughnut.JCarig shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: all
Either when the battery runs out (once per week), or when it's slow (rarely)
JCarig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:55 PM   #12
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
I reset almost daily because it speeds things up. I use my iPad all day and have over 70 apps though. Closing out the apps doesn't always help.
ehm... when you shut the ipad down with "shut down" it's a sort of hibernate. When it start up again, it'll put everything back into memory again....

You'd need to do a hard reboot to erase ram completely.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:14 PM   #13
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Almost never. Once in awhile if an app seems to be wonky. But never just to turn the iPad off.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:57 PM   #14
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
Turned off (completely). Never.
Rebooted/hard reset. 4 times since I had it. It's usually due to a crashed app.
Same here. It only gets turned off (well, hard reset) when it starts acting wonky. Otherwise, it's on all the time. Over the past 30 days, have had to do it 6 times. >.<

Then again, I also leave the PC on 24/7.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:10 AM   #15
Beryl
Enthusiast
Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
ehm... when you shut the ipad down with "shut down" it's a sort of hibernate. When it start up again, it'll put everything back into memory again....

You'd need to do a hard reboot to erase ram completely.
Of course.

"Restart" differs from "Reset". (See page 188 of the manual.)

I restart daily after closing out apps which helps clear out cache. The apps do not return to memory because they were previously closed.

I've manually reset a few times. Again, the apps are not reloaded when started.
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote