Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-25-2011, 07:55 AM   #1
nyartist
nyartist began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
download to Nook or Computer?

Thanks to Asawi for earlier responding to my questions. I have another one: I'm trying to set up my girlfriends Nook so she can download ebooks from the public library. Do I need to download Overdrive and the Adobe ADE program to the computer or to the Nook? If I understood correctly I can't download library books directly to the Nook but only to the computer and then I can drag and drop them from the computer to the Nook.
nyartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:15 AM   #2
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
You need to go through the computer. The only books you can get to the Nook right away are the ones you get (buy or free) from Barnes & Noble.
Install ADE on the computer (no other utility needed), authorize computer and Nook, go borrow books! (I LOOOVE "going to" my eLibrary!)
The extra step, going through ADE is really not much of a problem. It's fast and easy, especially after a couple of times when you get into it.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2011, 10:20 AM   #3
wymore
Enthusiast
wymore began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
The only books you can get to the Nook right away are the ones you get (buy or free) from Barnes & Noble.
Just wanted to add a little correction to this. I have been able to go to www.gutenberg.org using the Nook browser and download books. You can't open them from the downloads window in the browser for some reason, but you can open them from the downloads folder in the library directory.
wymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
mathia
mathia began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I've noticed that you can only open them that way. A bit of an annoyance, but not something you can't work around.
mathia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:45 PM   #5
nyartist

Well, I downloaded ADE on the MAC computer was able to download a book from the public library and connected the Nook with the provided USB cable. I get a message on the Nook that says: If you want to use your Nook and continue charging choose eject from the Nook drive on your computer.
I did that but cannot find the book I downloaded onto the computer. I was finally able to see that it was indeed placed into the Nook drive but when I looked through the Nook on my library it was not there.
Advert
Old 03-25-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The book should be in "My Documents".
If you're in "My B&N Library" the first on the list in the touch screen is "Go To My Documents". Hopefully you'll find the book there.
(I did a "trial run" on my Nook, since I haven't had it long enough to download many library books to it yet - use my Sony for that - and it worked a treat. Drag and drop the book in ADE and it shows up as it should in My Documents.)
Old 03-25-2011, 04:33 PM   #7
nyartist

yep - you're right! pretty amazing - thanks!
Old 03-25-2011, 05:07 PM   #8
Asawi
Gadgetoholic

Woohooo!!! Great news! Have a good time reading!!