Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-28-2010, 01:03 AM   #1
Soul_Est
Gadgetic Young Man
Soul_Est has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Soul_Est has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Soul_Est has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Soul_Est has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BlackBerry Z30, Sony PRS-650, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Unhappy Boot loop after large changes

I just got this on Thu, Nov 25 and I'm currently wondering if I should return it to the store. I am quite happy with my Reader but this boot loop after large data transfers is becoming absurd.

I first noticed the PRS-650's boot loop problem after loading on my entire library of eBooks from calibre (around 59 non-news eBooks). The device upon being ejected from calibre went into a boot loop after trying to scan its internal flash storage. I learned from that mistake that I should close calibre first and then unmount the device manually from within the OS.

This time however, the device has gone into a boot loop despite having been unmounted from the OS manually. I currently have over 200 MP3s totaling over 700 MB that I was planning to listen to while I read my books on the PRS-650. After copying the files to the device, unmounting it and going to the music application, the device went into a boot loop. This was without having played a single track yet, which I found rather strange.

So my question to you all is should I just chalk this up as one-time problem or return the PRS-650 and either wait for it's successor or a custom firmware that fixes these problem?

Update: I have hard reset my PRS-650 (thanks to GhostDreamer's instructions here) and tried transferring the MP3s over again with the same result.

Last edited by Soul_Est; 11-28-2010 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Additional information on the topic
Soul_Est is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:42 AM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
This is not necessarily a "boot loop" as whenever you transfer anything to your reader it reindexes the whole data set and it also depends on other factors... what type of eBooks for instance?
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2010, 11:27 AM   #3
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
You have to give it time to - sort of 'digest' and sort through the new info.

It's not like just plunking 60 books onto a book shelf and the shelf has to do nothing but just sit there - your reader is sort of an interactive device. Give it time to work with you.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:49 AM   #4
Soul_Est
Gadgetic Young Man
Soul_Est has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Soul_Est has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Soul_Est has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Soul_Est has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Question Solved...Somewhat :blink:

I found a solution that, while unsatisfactory, allows for music to exist on the PRS-650 without any rescan problems. Unfortunately, it requires a memory card containing the music files to be inserted into the Reader.

I find this quite odd when I considered that the PRS-650 comes with a couple tracks on the internal flash storage by default. I shall look into this further while giving the PRS-650 a proper shakedown since I haven't even begun to test all of its abilities entirely.

Anyone try putting any music files on their PRS-650 and wound up with the same problem?
Old 11-29-2010, 11:32 AM   #5
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
If it's really a boot loop that is 650 is rebooting i would contact Sony Customer support although there is little hope of getting help. If it's a 650 bug then they need to fix it in order to get a proposed feature working correctly.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 12:12 PM   #6
Soul_Est
Gadgetic Young Man

Thanks for the response SkyDream! This truly is a bug which keeps me from using the music player. I'll shoot Sony Support a quick email on the issue.