Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-04-2007, 02:56 PM   #91
fritz_the_blank
fritz_the_blank began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Hello,

I know that I am missing something and hope that some kind soul will point me in the right direction. When Making a book from a .pdf or from a .doc, the images do not appear in the .lrf file. Instead, I get something like the following:

Error! Hyperlink reference not valid.

Any advice?

Thank you,

FtB
fritz_the_blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:57 PM   #92
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It seems that your image is not in the document but is just a reference to either a location on your hard disk or to a web address. Try to extract the images into their own files and then add them back. I have had a few cases of converting an HTML and have had little or no problems as the images were either saved in the same folder as the HTML or in a subdirectory under the directory where the HTML was.

When the image was originally added directly to the DOC file I have never had a problem with it showing up in BD.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2007, 09:05 PM   #93
fritz_the_blank

I was thinking the same thing, but .pdf files generally contain the images don't they?

The file is a .chm that I converted via printing to .pdf files. When I checked the remove links option, the errors go away, but still no images. The images do appear in the .pdf file.

I wonder what I am missing....

FtB
Old 04-04-2007, 10:11 PM   #94
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Images in PDF files won't import.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:33 PM   #95
fritz_the_blank

Well! Thank you for that information--that clears things up considerably. If I am printing from a .chm file, what target format would be best? The .chm convertor that I am using supports a number of export formats.

Thanks again,

FtB
Advert
Old 04-05-2007, 10:13 AM   #96
fritz_the_blank

I tried importing a word doc, and again, no images. I see places in the text that say click link to view full image.

The images are self contained in the word document (the images do not link to external sources).
Old 04-05-2007, 12:17 PM   #97
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Ack. I just had a thought. Check the Settings menu (the icon is a little screwdriver), and make sure it doesn't have "remove pictures" checked (lower right).
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:19 PM   #98
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Apologies if I've misunderstood what you're asking, but the Reader won't display images in Word/RTF files. If you convert to the Reader's native LRF format using a tool such as Book Designer, you will then see the images.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:33 PM   #99
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Yah, he's trying to get the images into BookDesigner, HarryT.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:49 PM   #100
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just finished importing a manual from Word to BD and it contained embedded JPG, GIF, and WMF graphics. All imported fine. It did have trouble with the tables but that is just a matter of me getting the import settings right.

I used Harry's multilevel TOC format and that seemed to work fine. (It is easier to do than it is to explain.)
Old 04-06-2007, 07:02 PM   #101
fritz_the_blank

Hello and thank you to all for your help.

Knowing that pdf conversion will not provide images clears up one of the problems. I have been working with a .doc file from .chm, and things are getting better with the following caveats:

1) I had to leve links in or else the pictures would not show. That is strange given that the images are contained within the document, but perhaps that is the way Word references them even within a self-contained document

2) with some settings, and I haven't isolated them yet, the pictures do no appear in the text where they should, i.e., a bunch appear together before long blocks of text, and then another bunch of pictures and etc.

As far as importing from Word goes, am I better off checking the preserve formatting or to reformat completely? Does anybody have a list of settings that converts a .doc into a .lrf that includes pictures and maintains a reasonable semblance of the formatting (given, of course, that it needs to reflow the text to accomodate the smaller page sizes)?

Thanks again,

FtB
Old 04-06-2007, 08:16 PM   #102
RWood
Technogeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz_the_blank
Hello and thank you to all for your help.

Knowing that pdf conversion will not provide images clears up one of the problems. I have been working with a .doc file from .chm, and things are getting better with the following caveats:

1) I had to leve links in or else the pictures would not show. That is strange given that the images are contained within the document, but perhaps that is the way Word references them even within a self-contained document
Links to an external picture is just one way that Word deals with pictures. In this case that is a function of the CHM to Word conversion program that you have used rather than Word. If you were to replace the links with the actual pictures (a lot of work depending on the document) then the BD conversion would be smoother.

Quote:
2) with some settings, and I haven't isolated them yet, the pictures do no appear in the text where they should, i.e., a bunch appear together before long blocks of text, and then another bunch of pictures and etc.
This depends on the way the formatting of the picture element in Word is set. (Sorry for repeating the common.) You may have better luck with the picture placement in BD.

Quote:
As far as importing from Word goes, am I better off checking the preserve formatting or to reformat completely? Does anybody have a list of settings that converts a .doc into a .lrf that includes pictures and maintains a reasonable semblance of the formatting (given, of course, that it needs to reflow the text to accomodate the smaller page sizes)?
This is the old "it depends" answer. Since each file (and converter) has its own properties the answer that worked for one file last week may not work for another file today. Experiment. Do not be afraid to try. The cost of failure is small and the results will be back to you faster than this answer was.

Good luck Fritz.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:08 AM   #103
k21k
k21k began at the beginning.

I think I am also a convert but ...

Hi everyone,

I bought the Sony reader in order to read some technical documents anywhere I need to. I have been really disappointed when I realized that pdf documents are not readable easily on the Sony reader.

But, after having spent 3 days looking on the web how to reformat my documents, Hallelujah, I found your forum, and Hallelujah again, I downloaded and started to use Book Designer.

I thought I would become the happiest guy on this forum, but I noticed that the pages break of the converted document are quite random. That means that I have some pages with a little bit of text, and then totally empty. The text comes back at the next page.

I checked the all elements that could be titles, removed pages breaks.

Is someone meeting the same problem?
Thank you very much in advance.

Kevin
k21k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:25 AM   #104
fredlet
fredlet began at the beginning.

Not a convert.

I'm having the same problem, and also tried to use the tutorial, however none of the screenshots match, the options for stuff like "user page breaks" in "options" don't exist. I'm using Book Designer 5.0 (that was copied from the about) and I'm starting to really lose patience with the giant blank gaps that I get when trying to convert.
This whole book converter setup is a giant mess. Isn't there someone who can get together with the developer to create an English language page on his site for all of us poor sods who can't read cyrillic characters?

I do appreciate all the time people have put into this and I'm sorry if I sound like I'm dumping all over this thread, but I'm awfully frustrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k21k

I bought the Sony reader in order to read some technical documents anywhere I need to. I have been really disappointed when I realized that pdf documents are not readable easily on the Sony reader.

But, after having spent 3 days looking on the web how to reformat my documents, Hallelujah, I found your forum, and Hallelujah again, I downloaded and started to use Book Designer.

I thought I would become the happiest guy on this forum, but I noticed that the pages break of the converted document are quite random. That means that I have some pages with a little bit of text, and then totally empty. The text comes back at the next page.

Kevin
fredlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:12 AM   #105
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by k21k
Hi everyone,

Kevin
Navy Blue text are titles. To remove them, just higlight the text and convert to paragraph. Also check the page break settings in the Make Sony Reader file dialog box under options. in the misc section are options for how to handle page breaks. if you need to see my options screen, just say so and I'll post a screen cap here.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bookdesigner