Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-10-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Type fast contest (with proof screen)

http://10fastfingers.com/typing-test/english

Ok this game is about fast typing and posting a screen of it. This website I found has a test that counts how many words you type during a one minute time.
The ONLY RULE is to make NO mistakes so that we are all on equal footing (someone typing all his words wrong can type faster obviously)

THE FASTEST TYPER WITH NO WRONG WORDS WINS

So here is my result:

Top fast typers so far:

1: Frostschutz with 100 wpm
2: David Munch with 90 wpm
3: Red_phoenix with 85 wpm
4: Quexos with 80 wpm

Last edited by Quexos; 10-20-2012 at 04:53 AM.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
My attempt. I did better than I expected.

red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #3
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well done Red Phoenix, I'm trying to beat my record but either I don't or I type wrong words. This game needs one to be calm or one ends up typing wrong words
Old 10-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. A fast, responsive keyboard helps too.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
Quexos
Member Retired

Breathe in, relax and calm down, work your fingers prior and do the test and VOILA!
I take back the lead

Old 10-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I hate typing tests that just have random words. I find that context really helps, lest I mistake one word for another.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My first try - I didn't expect the way it scrolled the text, so I had a few typos here and there. Correcting typos in between did not seem to count as wrong words though.

Second try with fewer typos:

Sadly, I don't do 10 finger typing. Tried to learn several times but I just can't get used to it. I'm pretty much using the index finger only for my right hand, and index, middle, and ring finger on my left hand. Thumbs for space bar. It just happened this way

I'd love to be able to type faster, but it'll just have to do.

EDIT:

And another try, this time in my native language (German). Also with typos - I agree that context would help there. Hard to read ahead with random words.

EDIT2:

Aaand this is how I type with 10 fingers:

Last edited by frostschutz; 10-10-2012 at 03:47 PM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #8
Quexos
Member Retired

Very fast you are Frostschutz. I simply can't believe you type this fast with 2 fingers only. I don't see how it is possible
Anyway congratulations, you have the lead so far.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #9
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer

Definite improvement but not enough...so much for 10 finger typing.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #10
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer

I wouldn't worry too much about how you type frostschutz. Considering you type much faster than I can and I "touch type".
Old 10-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #11
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
I simply can't believe you type this fast with 2 fingers only.
It's more like 5-6 fingers. index (right), thumb (right - spacebar only), index (left), middle (left), ring (left). Oh and I guess the little fingers for the shift keys?

It's not 10 finger touch typing, where you don't move your hands much, and use all fingers (including pinkie) for letters. My right index finger dances across the entire right half of the keyboard while typing...

The touch typers do >150wpm, you can see them in the high score list... assuming no one is cheating or anything. Which is quite a lot faster than what I can do. Problem is unlearing your old way of typing...
Old 10-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #12
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer

I touch type but I'm not as fast as you.

Of course the keyboard can make a difference. If you have a really "fast" keyboard where you do not have to put a great deal of pressure on the keys it can make a big difference (of course it might also cause more mistakes).

In my case I don't think a more responsive keyboard would put me in the 150wpm category. I think the best I have ever done was in the 90 - 95 wpm range.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #13
frostschutz
Linux User

I have a Cherry G80-3000LSC with clicky keys. It's great for typing, just a bit loud.

It starts looking like this after a year or so; not sure if you can see it, but the plastic is supposed to have a very rough surface - but it goes perfectly smooth on the right side where my hand is working as I type... it's bad keyboard habits really.

I also lost half of the C, M and : on those supposedly ever lasting laser etched keys, and V is starting to go... I'll probably wear it out in another two years they just don't make unbreakable keyboards anymore.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cherryg80.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	93844  
Old 10-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #14
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer

An old IBM Electric Typewriter had the smoothest, fastest keys I have ever used. Wish I could have hooked that up to a computer.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #15
Quexos
Member Retired

Well so far:

1: Frostschutz with 100 wpm
2: David Munch with 90 wpm
3: Red_phoenix with 85 wpm
4: Quexos with 80 wpm

Who else wanna try ?

Last edited by Quexos; 10-10-2012 at 04:25 PM.