Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #16
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You really should read P&P - it's extremely witty.
I agree that it's witty and I was surprised by that given the century it was written (well, I used to think that way, I don't anymore ).
That is a great book and I wish it will still be read for years and years!
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #17
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Sorry, I'm afraid I don't. I'd be interested in it myself.
Hmm. Thanks for looking. I couldn't find anything myself after a not very thorough search.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:14 PM   #18
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Harry, do you have by chance a link to this internet broadcast?
It will be streamed here on Monday (the 28th)...
http://www.janeausten.co.uk/janeaustenreadathon/
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks, Brian - much appreciated!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Here's a page describing the event; but so far, the 'Readathon' links, link directly to this page. I'm assuming those links will go active sometime before the reading.

Pride and Prejudice Readathon
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:41 PM   #21
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It will be streamed here on Monday (the 28th)...
http://www.janeausten.co.uk/janeaustenreadathon/
You beat me
Old 01-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #22
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Brian.

Sorry, Monkey. Then you will have a third version to choose from.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #23
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
I have enjoyed the movie versions of P&P as well.

I would recommend them all as most are very well done and I can't sort them out, off the top of my head right now.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #24
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Thanks, Brian.

Sorry, Monkey. Then you will have a third version to choose from.
Only if they allow for later on-demand listening. Otherwise, it's a no go.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #25
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Monday marks the 200th anniversary of the initial 1813 publication of Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice":
Quote:
it spawned a zombie spin-off.
What?

What is the name or how can you find it?
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #26
Billi
Wizard

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pride_a...ce_and_Zombies
Old 01-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #27
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
The same author as Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter and Unholy Night
Unholy Night takes a different look at the Three Wise Men.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:26 PM   #28
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
I agree that it's witty and I was surprised by that given the century it was written (well, I used to think that way, I don't anymore ).
That is a great book and I wish it will still be read for years and years!
Most of Austen's books are witty. That's one of the great features of her writing. P&P is my second favorite Austen novel (behind Persuasion).

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I have enjoyed the movie versions of P&P as well.

I would recommend them all as most are very well done and I can't sort them out, off the top of my head right now.
My personal favorite is the '95 BBC version. I just adore it! The 1980 BBC version is good too. It's probably closer to the book than other versions. However, some fans consider it a little stilted. I think the worse one is the 2005 version with Keira Knightly. So many Austen fan consider that movie an abomination. The cinematography is wonderful but the film honestly has more of a Bronte feel than an Austen feel.

Last edited by faithbw; 01-25-2013 at 02:28 PM.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
My personal favorite is the '95 BBC version. I just adore it!
Yes, the 6-part series. I agree. Superb. Of course you can do an awful lot more in a 6h series than a 90-minute film. P&P is not an easy novel to do justice to in a visual medium, because so much of the book is Elizabeth's feelings about things, rather than visual action.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #30
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Quote:
Its basic plot is of course that of a love story, but it's not a soppy girly sort of story. I'm no fan of that kind of thing myself, and I think it's a wonderful book. It's the characters who make it such a good story: Mr Collins, the obsequious clergyman, the ghastly Mrs Bennett, and of course the seemingly appalling Mr Darcy. It's just a great book.
And, of course, the equally appalling Elizabeth.
That, of course, is the major point of the book - everybody suffers from "P&P" (except the soppy Jane and her soppy bloke), especially when they think they don't.
It is a very subtle book, constructed like a set of Chinese boxes.
JA was definitely a "oncer" though; the rest of her stuff just reads like a boring version of Georgette Heyer.
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote