Anna93
Anna93 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
calibre & arabic reversed text

hello
so i have a pdf file which is in arabic and i want to convert it to Mobi
but it cant work right .
there are two problems
1- the words are spelled in reverse ,meaning " my book " is spelled " koob ym" hope you get my point ?
2- since arabic is right to left . the text were left to right. but i fixed that

so any help with the reversed words would be appreciated
Anna93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:29 PM   #2
kite
enturbulated
kite can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.kite can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.kite can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.kite can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.kite can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.kite can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.kite can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.kite can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.kite can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.kite can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.kite can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
If no other suggestions turn up then, and
If you can turn the PDF to text,
Look at a program called notepad++ with the textFX plugin and ask on http://sourceforge.net/p/notepad-plu...ussion/331754/ for further advise on changing the text.

I suppose that I should add that sourceforge is no longer very user-friendly and some, but not all, programs that get downloaded from sourceforge come with what I call malware attached. Last I looked this was not the case with notepad++. But keep your eyes open.

Last edited by kite; 12-16-2014 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Better link and warning
kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:38 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Mobi file format doesn't support "right-to-left" languages, so there's probably not a lot you can do about this.

If your device supports the more capable AZW3 format, try using that instead; it does have RTL support.

How well Calibre will convert it is an entirely different question; PDF is the worst possible choice of starting format for conversion, and it often works poorly. The best way to convert PDF into another format is generally to use a decent OCR application.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 01:42 PM   #4
Anna93

Quote:
Originally Posted by kite View Post
If no other suggestions turn up then, and
If you can turn the PDF to text,
Look at a program called notepad++ with the textFX plugin and ask on http://sourceforge.net/p/notepad-plu...ussion/331754/ for further advise on changing the text.

I suppose that I should add that sourceforge is no longer very user-friendly and some, but not all, programs that get downloaded from sourceforge come with what I call malware attached. Last I looked this was not the case with notepad++. But keep your eyes open.
thank you for your reply.
my Kindle paperwhite does support arabic letters but the problem im trying to solve is PDF doesnt have the features as in Mobi or aw3 files , ( no font size control , no dict).

for unknown reason i found Notepad++ already installed on my laptop . could you tel me how converting PDF file into Txt may help ?

you may as well tell me if i could view PDF files the same as Mobi files , (my frimware is 5.6.1 )

merry xmas
Old 12-25-2014, 02:01 PM   #5
Anna93

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Mobi file format doesn't support "right-to-left" languages, so there's probably not a lot you can do about this.

If your device supports the more capable AZW3 format, try using that instead; it does have RTL support.

How well Calibre will convert it is an entirely different question; PDF is the worst possible choice of starting format for conversion, and it often works poorly. The best way to convert PDF into another format is generally to use a decent OCR application.
hello Harry
thank you for your reply.
i can manage to convert PDF formats to Docx ( dont know if this would help in anyway , i thought i may put some changes into the docx file since its editable ) before converting it into mobi or Azw3 .
im just thinking if i can edit the file , i can change the text order ,
example , if the the correct sentence is ( thank you for your help ) and after converting it to mobi or Azw3 it shows ( pleh ruoy rof uoy knaht) so i can edit the PDF or Docx file into the the wrong way so when i convert it shows the proper order ? just thinking out loud

and merry xmas hope you have great holidays
Old 12-25-2014, 02:04 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Anna93 - according to Amazon the Paperwhite can read PDF ==>> Kindle Paperwhite

Quote:
Content Formats Supported Kindle Format 8 (AZW3), Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively; HTML, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP through conversion
So, is it necessary to convert to anything else? If you want to reformat the PDF to make it better for reading on your kindle you could try the free K2pdfopt program.

Note : I am not a kindle owner, so this is not based on first hand knowledge.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 02:37 PM   #7
Anna93

hey i kind of solved it :
copied the text of the PDF file (Ctrl+A)
pasted it into a new .Txt file - changed the incoding into Unicode
then using Calibre - converted it into AZW3 format

thank you Kite & Harry
Old 12-25-2014, 09:05 PM   #8
Anna93

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Anna93 - according to Amazon the Paperwhite can read PDF ==>> Kindle Paperwhite

So, is it necessary to convert to anything else? If you want to reformat the PDF to make it better for reading on your kindle you could try the free K2pdfopt program.

Note : I am not a kindle owner, so this is not based on first hand knowledge.

BR
Thank you very much .
i've tried it , it's just awesome!
each page fits my kindle screen , i wont need to zoom in & out .

thank you all for helping me