Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-12-2010, 06:01 AM   #1
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
Wild card search

Is there a way to get a wild-card search on Kindle 2?

I was disappointed to find that a search for 'notice' also returns 'notices' but not other words containing the search term, like 'noticed' or 'noticeboard'.

Can't find any reference to wild cards in the Guide...
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:14 AM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I don't know of any documented ways, but in many computer languages the * is used for wildcard searches - representing any character or any number of characters. Don't have my Kindle with me, but you might try noti* and see what happens.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I don't know of any documented ways, but in many computer languages the * is used for wildcard searches - representing any character or any number of characters. Don't have my Kindle with me, but you might try noti* and see what happens.
Many thanks for the suggestion. I should have said that I'd already tried '*' as a wild card without success. Nor can I see any setting for 'find part of a word'.

If true, it's such a pity because it severely reduces the utility of the search for no good reason. If you're not going to offer an option then sticking at 'search for words containing' is far more useful than 'search for whole word' and arguably easier to program.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:53 AM   #4
Kindle Addict
kindict
Kindle Addict doesn't litterKindle Addict doesn't litterKindle Addict doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2, Kobo, iPad, Nook
Argel,

Your question inspired me to try and hack the Kindle find, which resulted in a new article all about find on Kindicted.com.

Here's an excerpt that speaks directly to your question:

Find Syntax for Documents (except PDF)
Right off the bat, the find command for documents does not have wildcards, grep syntax, etc. Multiple words can be entered separated by a space, as can e-mail addresses and web sites. All symbols are summarily ignored (and can even be in the middle of words) except for "." and "@", which are used for searching the aforementioned sites and addresses. Here are a few observations:
  • Plurals are automatically included in search results.
  • Common small words are ignored ("of", "and", "the", etc.).
  • Searches are case-insensitive.
  • Individual letters can be searched.
  • All surrounding punctuation/symbols are highlighted in the search results, but cannot be specified in the search.
  • Numbers can be searched - leading zeroes are relevant.
  • Symbols between words (such as the "://" in "http://www") can be excluded entirely - the search will still work (provided the url does not continue on a new line after the "http://"). In order words "httpwww" is equivalent to "http://www".

Please keep in mind that these rules are only for searching documents. PDFs, Wikipedia, Google, and the Amazon store all have different search syntax.

- Kindict
Kindle Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:37 PM   #5
Argel
Opinionated [but right]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindle Addict View Post
Your question inspired me to try and hack the Kindle find, which resulted in a new article all about find on Kindicted.com.
Many thanks for the response, even though it confirms my fears.
Advert