Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 01-15-2010, 10:01 PM   #1
xray1977
xray1977 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color CM7 SD Card
Need info on ebookwise 1150.New here

hello everyone, im new here and was looking for some info. i got the ebookwise 1150 for my wife and ive seen some sites where i can buy books and all but they dont always get the newer ones. Now are there some places that are good where i can get newer release, also what if i wanted to get a book from say barnes and noble, i understand their format is epub if im correct, is there a way i can convert something i buy from them to make it read on my device. Any info or point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. thank u in advance.
xray1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
surrealmind
Connoisseur
surrealmind began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color CM7, EB 1150, TC1100
You are right, some of the newer releases you will not be able to get in the eBookwise format, so you'll have to convert other formats if you want to read them. Converting is not exactly straightforward, but it is definitely doable. I've not actually done a conversion of a purchased ebook yet myself--I'm saving that as a reward for finishing all my January writing--but from what I've seen on this board in my short time as an eBookwise owner, the easiest conversion is from the .lit format. I actually just wrote up a post on that process here: <https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68231>.

I really do believe the process is not incredibly difficult, you just need a little patience to get the conversion infrastructure running and to work through the learning curve. Since I haven't done it yet, I can't attest to the process experientially, but I suspect that once all the software is in place and I've tried it for 15 minutes, I'll be able to churn out converted books pretty quickly. In any case, I would suggest looking into .lit conversion first. The other formats seem to have trickier DRM and formatting issues, and there are a lot of books available in .lit.
surrealmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2010, 09:22 PM   #3
xray1977

where can i find books in that .lit format, and thank u
Old 01-16-2010, 11:49 PM   #4
surrealmind
Connoisseur

Microsoft has published a list of ebook stores that sell .lit format books at the bottom of the page here: <http://www.microsoft.com/reader/us/shop/publishers.aspx>. I've mostly looked at BooksOnBoard myself. It appears that Microsoft has its own ebook .lit search engine too, with direct links to the individual stores that carry the titles searched for. You may want to try an inexpensive book first to test out the process and make sure everything works right on your computer. You could also try converting one of the free .lit books from right here on Mobileread, but these books don't have copy protection, so you wouldn't be able to test the DRM-stripping tools which you need for store-bought books.

I'll get around to trying it out myself one of these days here. I may crack and try it before I'm done with my writing for the month.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:09 AM   #5
surrealmind
Connoisseur

xray1977, check out my latest message on the other thread here: <https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68231>. I couldn't help myself, I tried it out and converted a .lit file successfully from the mobileread collection, but I found out you have to install some additional software first, which may not have been entirely clear in the instructions I linked to. Also, the .lit file I converted did not have DRM, so there are probably a few more steps involved for purchased books. Anyway, check out the continuation at the link above.
Advert
Old 01-19-2010, 09:05 AM   #6
LauraLynn
Enthusiast
LauraLynn is on a distinguished road

Device: iPod Touch, Dell Axim X30 & EB1150
Hi!

I also bought an ebookwise in the past year. I learned I was not limited to only books at eBookwise. I've got some how to posts on my blog about it if you are interested.. Link to it is in my signature.
LauraLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:47 PM   #7
surrealmind
Connoisseur

LauraLynn,

Thanks for the blog posts, and specifically: <http://ebookwise.blogspot.com/search...20on%20EBW1150>.I've finally completed the whole process from start to finish using nrapallo's scripts, and it is slick once you get everything set up, but goodness, your methods of conversion seem a lot simpler for those who just want the books now without having to learn the ins and outs of conversion.

A couple questions and points. First, does ABC Amber Lit strip DRM from .lit files? If so, then it is potentially the easiest road to conversion. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Amber Lit gave some people problems before, so YMMV. The direct uploading of exploded .html files from ConvertLit is interesting too, although in my limited experience, it seems that many books "explode" into a multiple .html files, sometimes one for each chapter, so that this obviously wouldn't work as a conversion process for every book. You'd need to learn eBook publisher to mush it back into one .imp file.

Finally, a caveat for these conversion processes: I would be a little leery about uploading purchased .lit books that have been converted into .html or .rb onto your Personal Content Bookshelf. You'll probably be fine, but it would make me nervous to have copyrighted material hosted on someone else's servers, and it is probably technically against the terms of service with eBookwise.

All that having been said, ABC Amber Lit may be the easiest, fastest way of getting .lit books onto the eBookwise. I have been considering writing up a simplified instruction sheet with additional autohotkey scripts to help set up nrapallo's s32lit2sb conversion program, but it involves a lot of steps and requires a fair degree of computer knowledge no matter how simple one tries to make the process. It does churn out very nice quality texts, but again, the learning curve may be insurmountable for someone just wanting to get the texts into their machine.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:06 PM   #8
LauraLynn
Enthusiast
LauraLynn is on a distinguished road

Device: iPod Touch, Dell Axim X30 & EB1150
I think it is against board policy to post how to remove DRM. ABC Amber Lit is my favorite but no it does not remove DRM.

I know a lot of people use the Librarian program so send books from their computer directly to their device. There is a free 7 day trial period - then if you decide to keep using it it is only $14.95. You can find it and info here: http://www.ebookwise.com/servlet/mw?...arianFAQ&si=43

XRay1977, I've a list of book stores that I use to purchase books for my Ebookwise. I found them from searching here on MR - but they are all in one place for you here http://ebookwise.blogspot.com/search...%20eBookstores

Last edited by LauraLynn; 01-19-2010 at 03:10 PM.
LauraLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:37 PM   #9
surrealmind
Connoisseur

Quote:
I think it is against board policy to post how to remove DRM. ABC Amber Lit is my favorite but no it does not remove DRM.
Good to know about both points, actually, thanks.

xray1977: How is this going. Is it entirely too daunting?
Old 01-21-2010, 05:17 AM   #10
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Convertlit

I use Convertlit to adjust (remove DRM *coughs*) my lit files, it works very well.

I buy books through Fictionwise and BooksonBoard primarily, and occasionally directly from publishers.

When buying at Fictionwise if the book is in multiformat you download a .imp (native to EB1150) file which requires no conversion.

PDFs tend not to convert well, get funky stuff going on, DRM'd or not. Mobi can be converted, but it makes my brain hurt doing it.

You can also of course download .txt, .rft, and .html files as well.

It takes a bit to figure out the conversion thing, but once you get the hang of it, its not too hard at all!

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:52 AM   #11
xray1977

First I like to thank everyone n anyone who posted. Lots of great info. Haven't gotten around to messing with it yet. As soon as I start I'll post results.m sure m Gonna have to do sum checking around n c what works best..

starting to look around so ive checkd into some of the other booksites but some can be pricey..fictionwise wasnt to bad in price. so i know ebookwise/fictionwise dnt need converting. and i can easily out of all formats convert lit form to imp if im correct. Now im not 100% sure what this whole DRM thing is, and i guess i would need some tweaking/converting to do if i found a site that sells the books for cheap so that i can read them on the ebookwise 1150. now noticed someone put this "You can also of course download .txt, .rft, and .html files as well"... does this mean that if i find a ebook in this format i wouldnt have to do any kind of converting. and how exactly does that librarian thing work in the website? Does it convert things for u automatically? is it certain formats ?

thanks again everyone in advance

Last edited by xray1977; 01-22-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:24 PM   #12
derrell
Jack O' Apes
derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Nokia N810, EZ-Reader, HTC Droid Incredible, Archos 70
I've never used the online conversion of the ebookwise bookshelf. I've always used theEbook Publisher from eti and impserve which is part of ebookutils.

Ebook Publisher lets you convert html to imp format books and impserve will let you use a directory on your own computer as your online bookshelf. Almost all ebook formats can be converted to html not just lit but lit and mobi seem to convert the best, even then sometimes the html that you get has to cleaned up before it can be converted to an imp book that is readable.
derrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:19 PM   #13
surrealmind
Connoisseur

Just a few quick notes.

Quote:
so i know ebookwise/fictionwise dnt need converting.
The book search on ebookwise.com will always yield the compatible format, but fictionwise is not actually a guarantee, so beware. Books marked "multiformat" may, and usually do, have the correct format for the ebookwise (it will say "OEBFF Format (IMP)" under the "Available eBook Formats" column if it's available for the ebookwise). Those that are marked "secure format" will require DRM stripping and conversion.

Quote:
i can easily out of all formats convert lit form to imp if im correct. Now im not 100% sure what this whole DRM thing is, and i guess i would need some tweaking/converting to do if i found a site that sells the books for cheap
"Easily" is a relative term, as you have to do some reading/experimenting/troubleshooting to make sure everything gets set up and working correctly, even with .lit files. Also, as LauraLynn has pointed out, we cannot post explicit instructions on breaking DRM, so that will take a little additional research. Now then, what is DRM, you ask? In short, it is a set of protections that prevent users from converting an ebook and using it on different devices than those intended by the publisher. Is it a layer of security you have to go through even before the conversion process.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:13 PM   #14
xray1977

i downloaded ebook pub and that impserve how exactly do i use them?thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrell View Post
I've never used the online conversion of the ebookwise bookshelf. I've always used theEbook Publisher from eti and impserve which is part of ebookutils.

Ebook Publisher lets you convert html to imp format books and impserve will let you use a directory on your own computer as your online bookshelf. Almost all ebook formats can be converted to html not just lit but lit and mobi seem to convert the best, even then sometimes the html that you get has to cleaned up before it can be converted to an imp book that is readable.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:23 PM   #15
xray1977

1.Does this ebook take PDF format ok?

if im gonna buy books from fictionwise/ebookwise.com which format should i click now to download..

i downloaded a multiformat ebook from fictionwise,and also ended up dl ebook publisher so i can store my ebooks on my computer. Now how exactly do i add the ebook to the reader. sorry for the ?'s.. just so noob to all this.

edit: ok so looks like i got a book on here that i bought from fictionwise. was ablt to get it on there with the online bookshelf so just starting to get the hang of device but still got some learning to do.

Last edited by xray1977; 01-28-2010 at 10:25 PM.