Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #31
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
The "workaround", at least for Kobo, is "install from the Amazon App Store". Nook's another matter (they don't seem to like having it anywhere). Nook's different, of course, since B&N don't seem to like it to be anywhere but on their own devices (can't even find it on Google Play). For other books, plenty of readers available in the Amazon App Store, no need for rooting or anything else. Plenty of other good apps as well, with the only major omission being Google's app suite (Maps, YouTube, etc. - obviously the big sticking point for most).
The Kobo Arc does have the Google app suite...
Quote from link in my previous post:
Pre-loaded Apps:
Facebook, Twitter, and Skype. Stream music from Rdio, access your magazines and newspapers through Zinio and PressReader.
Google apps: Google Play, Gmail, YouTube, Google Maps, StreetView, Calendar, Contacts, Google+, and Google Chat
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:49 PM   #32
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
The Kobo Arc does have the Google app suite...
Quote from link in my previous post:
Pre-loaded Apps:
Facebook, Twitter, and Skype. Stream music from Rdio, access your magazines and newspapers through Zinio and PressReader.
Google apps: Google Play, Gmail, YouTube, Google Maps, StreetView, Calendar, Contacts, Google+, and Google Chat
Yes, but that was in reference to the Kindle Fire HD - which doesn't. [the Kobo part was about the complaint that you needed "workarounds" to get anything that wasn't Amazon on there]
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #33
heatherc
Enthusiast
heatherc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Word of caution - the new Android operating system (4.2) isn't compatible with the Kobo app for android. Every time you try to open a new book, it crashes. Hopefully Kobo will update the app soon, but for now, I'm downloading my books through Chrome into Overdrive and Bluefire so that I'll be able to read them. Really a bummer...the Kobo app was good, and the Nexus is excellent for reading.

Edited to add: Kobo fixed the app very quickly. Hurray!

Last edited by heatherc; 12-02-2012 at 04:28 PM.
heatherc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #34
Sregener
Addict
Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
It's true that the Kobo app doesn't work in 4.2, but Kobo has put an announcement up in the Google Play store that they are aware of the problem and working on a fix. I wouldn't let this seriously influence my decision one way or the other. The Kobo app will work soon, I'm sure.

On the other hand, Google updated my Nexus 7 to 4.2 yesterday, and has Kobo even announced the 4.1 upgrade yet? Given how much faster my Nexus is with 4.2 over 4.1, I would think the benefits of being a "flagship" device would make the Nexus the clear winner here.
Sregener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #35
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
...Nook's different, of course, since B&N don't seem to like it to be anywhere but on their own devices (can't even find it on Google Play)....
You can find the nook app in Google Play.
Only hurdle: It's US only.
So you only find it in the US store.
But there are simple workarounds:
a.) Sideload the app. You'll find it in Google within a minute.
b.) Install "Appbrain". Then you can search for all apps, even outside your country borders. You can't download all of them, but for the nook app it's working that way.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2012, 09:54 PM   #36
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Hi, just wanted to chime in and say that I have the original Nexus 7 that came out in August, and it is a great, little device. The speakers could be louder, but that's my only complaint.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #37
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I just got the Arc today as a gift from my wife and I have to say I am very happy and impressed with it. I've had a chance to play with my friends Nexus 7 and I have to say it's a tight race between the 2 for me. Both are great devices.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #38
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead
Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherc View Post
Word of caution - the new Android operating system (4.2) isn't compatible with the Kobo app for android. Every time you try to open a new book, it crashes. Hopefully Kobo will update the app soon, but for now, I'm downloading my books through Chrome into Overdrive and Bluefire so that I'll be able to read them. Really a bummer...the Kobo app was good, and the Nexus is excellent for reading.
I can assure you the team is working on this right now.
Kobo-Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #39
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
I really like what they have done with the Kobo UI. I still want a device firmly pointed at consuming media content, but with no limitations. I've seen the videos on the Kobo Tapestry feature and I really like it.

Also, the Kobo has better specs than the Kindle does (someone said they were the same). I'm selling my iPad 3 and will be picking up a Kobo Arc 32GB as soon as I can buy one in the US.

EDIT: Reason for selling my iPad is the form factor. I want something smaller and find the iPad 3 a little too big for my own person use. This is only a very humble opinion and in no way reflects on the iPad 3 itself, which I find to be a fantastic device. I'm not sold on the iPad Mini though. I think they could have done better for that price point.

Last edited by ColdSun; 11-19-2012 at 03:58 PM.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:28 PM   #40
GinRummy
GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I bought the Arc today and Cdesja5/Chantal, your posts with facts and references calmly refuting hearsay had a lot to do with my choice. After playing with it for a few hours now I am very glad I made the choice. I've bought and started reading some books, transferred some files over wifi from my laptop using an app I bought from Google Play, had no trouble posting to facebook, using google maps, and setting up a free phone account with Dell Voice. I swear if this thing did dishes and made breakfast I would marry it.
GinRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:28 PM   #41
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead
Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherc View Post
This has been fixed. New version should be in the app store now. My Galaxy Nexus just updated.
Kobo-Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:12 AM   #42
RJD
RJD began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T1, thinking about a Kobo Arc or Nexus 7
Anyone had a chance to compare the displays on the Arc and the Nexus 7 side by side? Which looked best to you for movies, comics, etc?
RJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #43
Youbenicenow
Youbenicenow began at the beginning.

Device: KoboArc
Hi everyone. I have an Arc and my wife has the Nexus 7. For over a month I have used both. "Pound for pound" or "feature for feature" I would not pick one over the other. Why I prefer my Arc is because it is much easier to handle. It feels better in my small hands. When I hold the Nexus 7 for any length of time my hands get tired. My advice, go play with both in a store before deciding. You may be surprised and make your decision easier. Regards.
Youbenicenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:36 AM   #44
johnborsellino
johnborsellino began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch and Arc
Thanks, I've made my mind up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youbenicenow View Post
Hi everyone. I have an Arc and my wife has the Nexus 7. For over a month I have used both. "Pound for pound" or "feature for feature" I would not pick one over the other. Why I prefer my Arc is because it is much easier to handle. It feels better in my small hands. When I hold the Nexus 7 for any length of time my hands get tired. My advice, go play with both in a store before deciding. You may be surprised and make your decision easier. Regards.
I've had a hard time deciding, but after reading many posts I have finally decided that I will not have any regrets with the Kobo Arc. I will be buying it in the New Year and will be using it mainly for reading comics, magazines with Zinio and web browsing.

John,
Kobo Touch fan
johnborsellino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:24 AM   #45
Youbenicenow
Youbenicenow began at the beginning.

Device: KoboArc
Exclamation Arc cover

Go check out Belkin. It is not a cover - it is a line of cases. My Arc fits perfectly. It also has a front upper for ear bud storage. The case also helps protect it better than a cover. Works for me!
Youbenicenow is offline   Reply With Quote