Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-21-2012, 01:32 AM   #1
Azrhei
Azrhei began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
UnJailbreaking Kindle 4 NT

Some time ago I took steps to remove ads from my Kindle. My mistake (as it never actually worked) and now I want to update my firmware.

I'm currently at 4.0.1
I made changes to the kindle via SSH which I reversed (so I think) and did a factory restore (which I know does nothing useful)

Despite this I can't update and it's error U006 (Which I found out means that the update doesn't like something I changed)

Attached is the logs after a attempt at update.

Is there anyway that I can restore it quick and easy? If not I can SSH in and make changes but I may need original files to do that.

Sorry if this was asked and anwered, I did search and found nothing that would helped.
Attached Files
File Type: zip all_system_logs_as_of_Thu_Jun_21_05.10.18_GMT_2012.zip (304.7 KB, 230 views)
Azrhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:53 AM   #2
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
I presume, you haven't backup of original Kindle files and kernel.
I believe, upload this backup to your Kindle should make update successful.
So you can download original backups here:
http://pastebin.com/Wdw4L7yT
- this link is also in "debricking" sticky

You can easily flash kernel with fastboot, and main over ssh with dd command, look here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180789

Last edited by hostar; 06-21-2012 at 04:43 PM.
hostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2012, 03:14 AM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA

Last edited by knc1; 06-21-2012 at 03:36 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:19 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrhei View Post
Despite this I can't update and it's error U006 (Which I found out means that the update doesn't like something I changed)
- - - -
Sorry if this was asked and anwered, I did search and found nothing that would helped.
Was the "Prefix_Index -> K4 -> Update failures" link any help?
If not, perhaps we need to add more references to that topic.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:31 AM   #5
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
knc1: ohh, you are right, I forgot, I corrected it. Thanks

Last edited by hostar; 06-21-2012 at 04:42 PM.
hostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2012, 08:40 AM   #6
akleiw
akleiw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4.1.0
The line no 4493 in your logs indicates that the update script is trying to patch one of the original screensaver images, but fails because it's probably not there.

Code:
120621:041225 ota_install: I def:patch:patchinfo="/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800/01N.png":patching file
120621:041225 ota_install: C def:patch:patchinfo="/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800/01N.png":patch failure
To restore your Kindle to the original state, you need to make sure that /opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800/ is a valid path and that it contains all the original screensavers.

Alternatively you can just reflash the whole system partition.

Last edited by akleiw; 06-22-2012 at 08:44 AM.
akleiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:15 AM   #7
Azrhei

Thanks for reply. Sorry I haven't responded. I restored the stock images before posting here but maybe I forgot something. Other wise I'll try the other stuff and let you know
Old 06-24-2012, 12:46 AM   #8
Azrhei

Ok, so I'm rebricked I followed the guide hostar gave (the PDF one) substituting K4 files for the K5 ones. Everything went exactly as planned up until the last reboot...now I'm bricked again and can't repeat the process (I tried, it no longer recognizes when I do the power/home button trick)
Old 06-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #9
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrhei View Post
Ok, so I'm rebricked I followed the guide hostar gave (the PDF one) substituting K4 files for the K5 ones. Everything went exactly as planned up until the last reboot...now I'm bricked again and can't repeat the process (I tried, it no longer recognizes when I do the power/home button trick)
Charge the battery in fastboot mode, then try again. Try using the 4.0.0 files (link in simple debricking first post) instead of the 4.0.1 files in the pastebin.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:13 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Charge the battery in fastboot mode, then try again. Try using the 4.0.0 files (link in simple debricking first post) instead of the 4.0.1 files in the pastebin.
There must be some way to get that word out to everyone.

Maybe a default screen saver: "Charge before re-programming" ?

Erase and program functions of the eMMC are very slow and power hungry functions. Not starting with a fully charged battery may be causing a lot of the problems we read about here.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #11
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
There must be some way to get that word out to everyone.

Maybe a default screen saver: "Charge before re-programming" ?

Erase and program functions of the eMMC are very slow and power hungry functions. Not starting with a fully charged battery may be causing a lot of the problems we read about here.
I think the only way that MIGHT stand a chance of being effective is to rename all the firmware image files to include that phrase.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:21 AM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I think the only way that MIGHT stand a chance of being effective is to rename all the firmware image files to include that phrase.
Yes, it is that recurring problem of trying to interface with humans.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #13
vitalidon
vitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Voyage 5.12.1, Kindle 4NT

Does anyone knows the ssh root password for kindle 4NT image posted there?
I have restored my kindle using K4 main image from the post above and now my password fiona5103 does not work anymore.
vitalidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:50 AM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalidon View Post

Does anyone knows the ssh root password for kindle 4NT image posted there?
I have restored my kindle using K4 main image from the post above and now my password fiona5103 does not work anymore.
Which I guess means that your "diags" mode still works.
Using "diags mode" - -
Mount the "main mode" file system on mmcblk0p1 somewhere -
At <mount-point>/etc/shadow; change the hash of the root password to the hash of a password you know.
Dealer's choice.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:27 PM   #15
vitalidon
vitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Voyage 5.12.1, Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Which I guess means that your "diags" mode still works.
Using "diags mode" - -
Mount the "main mode" file system on mmcblk0p1 somewhere -
At <mount-point>/etc/shadow; change the hash of the root password to the hash of a password you know.
Dealer's choice.
I am not "bricked". I just was not able to flash the new software update 4.1.0 (error code u006) so I used a main image for kindle 4NT (version 4.0.1) to restore it to brand new state. Then I was able to update the device to the new firmware 4.1.0. The only one problem is that I am not able to get root access because my old root password does not work anymore. I also have tried root,mario. The only combination that works is framework,mario, but it does not give you the root rights to the device. And I am not sure when the root password has changed: when I flashed the main image file mmcblk0p1.img from http://pastebin.com/Wdw4L7yT or after I did the update to new firmware 4.1.0
vitalidon is offline   Reply With Quote