Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-06-2012, 03:28 AM   #16
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoods7070 View Post
I don't hate, but certainly don't like, the totally irrelevant recommendations - Danielle Steele??!!? - taking up one third of my Home screen. I resent having things like that thrust upon me on any device I've paid for. It IS advertising, however Kobo want to sell it, and it should be optional. I'd have liked the choice of paying a little more to have nothing but my own shortlisted books showing.
You don't have to pay. Click on "Recommended for you". Change it to "Shortlist" in the dropdown. Voila.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:42 AM   #17
keepsake
keepsake is a glorious beacon of lightkeepsake is a glorious beacon of lightkeepsake is a glorious beacon of lightkeepsake is a glorious beacon of lightkeepsake is a glorious beacon of lightkeepsake is a glorious beacon of lightkeepsake is a glorious beacon of lightkeepsake is a glorious beacon of lightkeepsake is a glorious beacon of lightkeepsake is a glorious beacon of lightkeepsake is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
It's annoying, and that's exactly why I ended up reverting to 1.9.14. It's the cleanest version by far and I love the old menu. The pages don't really turn slower either.
keepsake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #18
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoods7070 View Post
Sometimes I have to give the screen quite a hefty thump, at others my finger is barely hovering over it when 2-3 pages fly by. When the screen is in a "thump me" frame of mind it's somewhat annoying to have such an obtrusive delay between page turns. (Pity there's no calibration. I have calibration on all my other resistive touch devices, enabling me to set touch to a very light tap.) Every device has its own feel, and they all take getting used to.
The Kobo Touch has an infrared touch screen, not a resistive one. So giving it a hefty thump will not help at all.

It might depend on where you touch (lower right and left corners seem to be unresponsive with .17) and also on how you touch - but not on how hefty you thump it, but how well you break the light barrier, so to speak.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:13 PM   #19
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
version 16 of software seemed to work better with a slower touch. Before and after 16 a faster touch worked ok. A few days of using the device you adapt your touch to something that works best for you.

Hard touch doesn't improve response but slows down your touch and excessive hard touch can damage screen. Don't have to actually touch screen just get close enough for it to respond as a touch.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #20
Woodstonian
Connoisseur
Woodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the party

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I was reading a book today in bright sunlight for the first time. I found that my usual taps failed more frequently than I am used to. It failed about every 10 taps vs 30 or more normally. The KT also froze once, which I've never experienced before in the 1 month that I've had it. I'm using .17 firmware. Does this behaviour seem familiar to anyone else?
Woodstonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #21
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Sun light and sometimes other lights can dgrade IR touch response which you can easily improve by change angle of kobo to problem causing light. Also holding kobo with screen down while brushing off sand and other stuff will solve touch problems.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:45 AM   #22
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
... Also holding kobo with screen down while brushing off sand and other stuff will solve touch problems.
I wish.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:25 AM   #23
Hoods7070
Groupie
Hoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notes

Device: Nexus 7"
Interesting points. I am given to exaggeration - when I said "thump" the screen, I actually meant swipe for a page turn as opposed to the gentle tap usually required, and occasionally the screen seems to freeze up altogether. I was initially half equating the lack of response to the screen refresh being set to 6, but quickly saw with some experimentation that wasn't the case. From the previous several posts this unresponsive "moment" (or period!) would appear to be a Kobo glitch, and at least now I have some hints to try to prevent or improve the behaviour, so thanks. Maybe I will try using another tap-zone setup.
Hoods7070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #24
eddie19
eddie19 began at the beginning.

IR touch screen

Yes I have noticed the reduced touch action when reading in strong sunlight. Can cause erratic page turning and frozen screens. Although these also occur when reading indoors. I am using 1.9.17 firmware.

Another point. I have recently been editing an epub book which had a lot of typographical mistakes. I used the Kobo highlighting to identify the errors for later editing (editing using Sigil on a laptop), but many of the highlights were out of sequence! Even though they were all recorded in sequence. Anyone come across that one?

I like the Kobo, but I think the development team need to work a bit more on the reading experience, and less on the advertising and social group interaction - like Facebook.
eddie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:04 PM   #25
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie19 View Post
but many of the highlights were out of sequence! Even though they were all recorded in sequence. Anyone come across that one?
Yes, I have seen this particular symptom.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:03 AM   #26
Hoods7070
Groupie
Hoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notes

Device: Nexus 7"
Quote:
Yes I have noticed the reduced touch action when reading in strong sunlight. Can cause erratic page turning and frozen screens. Although these also occur when reading indoors. I am using 1.9.17 firmware.
I have at least two, sometimes more, freezes in say 50-100 pages. The only thing that seems to reset things is turning on and off. I must say it's really, really irritating having to lose the thread of what you're reading like that. Other than the freezes, no complaints.

I pre-edit my books, usually, using a combination of Sigil and Serif PagePlus.
Hoods7070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:17 AM   #27
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
Quote:
Another point. I have recently been editing an epub book which had a lot of typographical mistakes. I used the Kobo highlighting to identify the errors for later editing (editing using Sigil on a laptop), but many of the highlights were out of sequence! Even though they were all recorded in sequence. Anyone come across that one?
Happens with the Sony too. I suspect it's down to the document rather than the reader. A similar thing happens when marking up PDFs in Acrobat on a computer - the corrections will appear in the correct places, but if a list of the corrections is printed out, it won't necessarily reflect the order in which the corrections appear on the page.
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:37 AM   #28
eddie19
eddie19 began at the beginning.

Kobo Touch

I don't know whether the Kobo Development team read these threads. I hope they do and take note of some of the problems experienced by users. I think many of the problems are related to the operating system.

Frozen screen just should not happen. If an error occurs then the system should reset gracefully and NOT freeze.

Page turning should work every time. The system should detect a touch, check the type of touch, check again to make sure (I assume a clock speed of at least 1MHz, should be higher with modern ICs, and therefore checking the touch action several times should not be a problem) and then take an action. I find that sometimes nothing happens, sometimes it jumps forward two pages, sometimes goes back a page. These sort of things should not happen.

Another thing I only used 1.9.16 for a short time before downloading 1.9.17. Didn't notice a great deal of difference, but did notice the top and bottom margins changed. The top margin is now only about 2-3mm while the bottom margin is 12mm. Could these be evened out in the next version of firmware.

Why can't the page numbers at the bottom of the page correspond to the pages in the Kobo reader rather than the pages in the original printed version. The Kobo 'page' is roughly half that of the printed page, and so there are twice as many 'reader' pages. The Calibre reader shows the actual reader pages so it can be done.

I look forward to the next version of the firmware resolving these and other problems listed in this forum.
eddie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #29
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Why can't the page numbers at the bottom of the page correspond to the pages in the Kobo reader rather than the pages in the original printed version. The Kobo 'page' is roughly half that of the printed page, and so there are twice as many 'reader' pages. The Calibre reader shows the actual reader pages so it can be done.
If you're reading a Kobo k-epub it does show the number of actual "screens" worth of book left in the chapter. If you're reading a sideloaded e-pub it is showing the number of "adobe pages" (for lack of a better term) in the book. It is a set number of characters that adobe uses to define a page and since it is likely using adobe code to display it whether it has DRM or not, I don't know if it would be possible for them to do anything differently. It would take some extra horsepower to do it that the Kobo Touch might not have. It's not possible to get same page numbers as the hardcopy book on the Kobo and virtually any other reader (unless you have a scanned pdf copy).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:12 AM   #30
Wald07
Audiophile
Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexux7 2nd Gen & Kobo Touch
I had trouble with the touch screen too. I moisten my finger with a huff of hot air, and it works much better. Give it a try! I also keep the touch screen pretty clean with a micro fiber cloth. Seems to help.

Last edited by Wald07; 04-22-2012 at 02:16 AM.
Wald07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo touch