Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-18-2012, 10:15 AM   #76
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
I haven't rooted mine and have no desire to. One disadvantage I can see from reading this forum is that whenever there's an update, you first have to un-root it to update the Vox and then go back through all the work again to customize it and remove the default apps all over again.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #77
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
I haven't rooted mine and have no desire to. One disadvantage I can see from reading this forum is that whenever there's an update, you first have to un-root it to update the Vox and then go back through all the work again to customize it and remove the default apps all over again.
The "unroot before update" part is apparently a myth brought over from ios jailbreaking. It is true you have to remove the default apps again but using es file explorer, this is 5 minutes work and you _can_ remove them again which you can't without root. Another option (if you simply don't want to see the default apps or allow them to run but don't care about recovering their space) would be to freeze them using titanium backup. This would survive an update and again would require root.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #78
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraftie View Post
Your instructions are clear and easy to follow but with all due respect, (and as a complete and utter noob) I'm just wondering how rooting the device makes it better. Does it improve functionality and if so, how?
If you can't think of a use for rooting your device, then you probably won't appreciate the improved functionality.

As far as I can tell, most apps can be installed without resorting to root. Also as far as I can tell, adb also gives you root access to the device. Which means that you don't actually need to root a Vox to modify it. I'm guessing that covers the most common cases where people want to do more with their device.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #79
suedenim
Connoisseur
suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox
So I came across this...

http://lifehacker.com/5877356/qtadb-...o-your-desktop

Haven't tried it yet but it looks promising.
suedenim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #80
bitterbug
bitterbug began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600 / Kobo Vox
This is strange. My device is rooted, and I've tried all 4 versions of Busybox that were in the original guide, yet when I attempt to connect with ConnectBot it tells me that local shell is unavailable.

I figure I'd just use ES File Explorer and remove the bloatware that way, yet even after putting it in root mode and making /system writable uninstallation fails.

Did I miss a step somewhere?
bitterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #81
Schuchwun
Schuchwun began at the beginning.

Device: tf101
I would like to see this here as a guide to install Google Market. From XDA http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...3&postcount=70

Quote:
1) On your device, go to Menu -> Settings -> Applications and ensure "Unknown Sources" is checked, then press development and enable "USB debugging";
2) On your device, download and install GingerBreak-V1.20.apk from here;
3) Open Gingerbreak and click on "root device". Your device will reboot. You are now rooted;
4) On your device, download a file manager that has root access (like ES File Explorer or File Expert), and install it;
5) On your computer, downloaded and extract gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip from here;
6) Transfer the following files from the extracted zip (on your computer) in the /system/app folder to a microsd card, and place the microsd card in your device:
- GenieWidget.apk
- GoogleBackupTransport.apk
- GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk
- GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk
- GoogleFeedback.apk
- GooglePartnerSetup.apk
- GoogleServicesFramework.apk
- MarketUpdater.apk
- MediaUploader.apk
- NetworkLocation.apk
- OneTimeInitializer.apk
- Vending.apk
7) On your device, using your file manager, mount the /system partition as read-write;
8) On your device, copy all the apk's from step 6 to the /system/app directory using your file manager;
9) On your device, set the permissions to 644 (Owner : read/write, group read, everyone read) using your file manager; *see not below;
11) Restarted your device;
12) Go to Menu -> Settings -> Accounts & Sync, and add your Google account;
13) Launch market;
14) Download YouTube and GMail if you so desire.
15) Done. Enjoy!

*Note: If you can't figure out how to change permissions in your file manager, you can download Terminal emulator, install it, open it, and type the following:
su
chmod 0644 /system/app/GenieWidget.apk
chmod 0644 /system/app/GoogleBackupTransport.apk
chmod 0644 /system/app/GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk
chmod 0644 /system/app/GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk
chmod 0644 /system/app/GoogleFeedback.apk
chmod 0644 /system/app/GooglePartnerSetup.apk
chmod 0644 /system/app/GoogleServicesFramework.apk
chmod 0644 /system/app/MarketUpdater.apk
chmod 0644 /system/app/MediaUploader.apk
chmod 0644 /system/app/NetworkLocation.apk
chmod 0644 /system/app/OneTimeInitializer.apk
chmod 0644 /system/app/Vending.apk
Terminal Emulator : http://goo.gl/cPG7o
ES File explorer: http://goo.gl/Lklm4
Schuchwun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #82
Schuchwun
Schuchwun began at the beginning.

Device: tf101
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftheworld View Post

3. Removing unwanted apps manually (Expersise: Intermediate, Importance: moderate)

Prerequisite Tools, Apps or Tutorials
First, you'll need to follow the instructions in the first tutorial and root your device.

Second, you'll need to download and install terminal program. I prefer ConnectBot, but there are plenty of terminal programs out there.

Thirdly, you'll need BusyBox installed. Grab it from my app pack or online.

(NOTE: Make sure you install the busybox apk and then RUN IT to complete the install!)

Steps

1. First, using your terminal of choice, connect to the local shell. Some terminals will default to local, or be local-only. ConnectBot requires you choose the local option and enter a nickname (it can simply be blank for local).

2. In the console type:

Code:
mount | grep /system
The mount command wants to output all the mount data on your device, but the pipe (this thing --> |) sends the output to a grep command which filters it and prints only the lines that contain "/system", which is the line we need.

3. You'll see that the ro (read-only) flag is active, meaning we can't currently delete anything in this area of storage.

4. Time to get to work. Type "su" to request (and gain) root access. If successful you'll see your shell prompt change to a # symbol.

5. To remount the /system partition as read-write just type:

Code:
mount -o remount,rw -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /system
You may notice your text scrolling off the edge of your screen, that's fine.

6. Anyway, I'm not going to get into what all that means, but it will remount /system as read-write.

You can confirm that by running that same command we wrote earlier:

Code:
mount | grep /system
And you'll see the ro flag has become an rw flag.

Now, change directory to the folder with the built-in apps.

Code:
cd /system/app

7. Typing "ls" will list all the apps in this folder. It will probably scroll off the top of your screen but in ConnectBot you can scroll up and down with the touchscreen.

8. To permanently remove an app simply use the command:

Code:
rm appname.apk

9. To temporarily remove an app, use the command:

Code:
mv appname.apk appname.apk.bak

Additional Notes:

The following is a list of all apps found on a stock Vox as of the last firmware update:

Spoiler:
AccountAndSyncSettings.apk
ApplicationsProvider.apk
Browser.apk
Calculator.apk
Calendar.apk
CalendarProvider.apk
CertInstaller.apk
Contacts.apk
ContactsProvider.apk
CubeLiveWallpapers.apk
DefaultContainerService.apk
DeskClock.apk
DownloadProvider.apk
DownloadProviderUi.apk
DrmProvider.apk
Email.apk
FacebookStub.apk
FirmwareUpdate.apk
Gallery3D.apk
GetJarStub.apk
GmailStub.apk
HTMLViewer.apk
HelpStub.apk
INQFacebook.apk
INQWidgets.apk
Kobo.apk
KoboOsProvider.apk
KoboTimeTracker.apk
KobobooksLauncher.apk
LatinIME.apk
Launcher2.apk
LiveWallpapers.apk
LiveWallpapersPicker.apk
MagicSmokeWallpapers.apk
MediaProvider.apk
MerriamWebster-1.1.1.apk
Music.apk
OTAServer.apk
PRAndroid.apk
PackageInstaller.apk
People.apk
PicoTts.apk
Protips.apk
Provision.apk
QuickSearchBox.apk
ScrabbleFree.apk
Settings.apk
SettingsProvider.apk
SetupWizard.apk
SystemUI.apk
TelephonyProvider.apk
Term.apk
TtsService.apk
TwitterStub.apk
UpdateCheckService.apk
UserDictionaryProvider.apk
VisualizationWallpapers.apk
VpnServices.apk
YoutubeStub.apk
ZinioReader.1.06.4097.Regular.apk
ZinioSettingsProvider.1.06.4257.Kobo.apk
globe2go_10.15.11.apk
rdio-release-0.9.16.apk

Anything ending in Stub.apk is just a link to a website and can safely be removed (you can remove them in bulk by using *Stub.apk with the rm command).

Here are the apps I've removed and therefor confirmed as safe to remove:

Spoiler:
FacebookStub.apk
GetJarStub.apk
GmailStub.apk
HelpStub.apk
INQFacebook.apk
INQWidgets.apk
MagicSmokeWallpapers.apk
MerriamWebster-1.1.1.apk
PRAndroid.apk
People.apk
ScrabbleFree.apk
Term.apk
TwitterStub.apk
YoutubeStub.apk
ZinioReader.1.06.4097.Regular.apk
ZinioSettingsProvider.1.06.4257.Kobo.apk
globe2go_10.15.11.apk
rdio-release-0.9.16.apk
Addition

after going to /system/apps to save time from typing in all the stubs do the following :
Code:
rm *Stub.* (note: Stub must be capitalized)
Schuchwun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #83
mollyvox
mollyvox began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
How long should it take for Gingerbreak to finish rooting? Mines been stuck at "rooting... Running exploit..." for almost an hour.
mollyvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #84
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
If you've got the March 2nd update, gingerbreak won't work. Kobo inadvertently removed the ability either accidentally or purposely? I don't know.. I haven't updated for that reason.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #85
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Gingerbreak doesn't take long to run, certainly less than a minute.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #86
mollyvox
mollyvox began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
Sadly I do have the March 2nd update. I hate it and it is actually what pushed me over the edge to finally root my vox.
mollyvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #87
mr_nobody
Evangelist

Then you have to try the more complicated adb instructions in the March 2 update thread. Good luck.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #88
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
Yeah, except they didn't post specific instructions so I don't even know how to follow.. I probably would do so if that were the case. Just to get FB working again. But.. I'm not going to..

Especially if it means replacing the bloat ware and unable to uninstall them.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #89
samysdad
Enthusiast
samysdad began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Thumbs down Rooting with Gingerbread no longer working

As of March 2 update this sticky thread isn't valid.
samysdad is offline   Reply With Quote