Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-26-2010, 10:49 PM   #136
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post
Don't want to let go of the 505, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
I was actually considering it until I saw how much the 650 was and the fact they don't even have them in stock!

Love my 505, but the battery is starting to fizzle out, and I would like a new improved model. But they need to bring the price down.....
Exactly. I love my 505, not ready to trade that sucker in, no 650s readily available anyway. My battery, thankfully, is keeping up. It's just that I haven't been tempted by any other reader until now!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:52 PM   #137
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Exactly. I love my 505, not ready to trade that sucker in, no 650s readily available anyway. My battery, thankfully, is keeping up. It's just that I haven't been tempted by any other reader until now!
Haha, I still have my 505, too, and it's still working fine including the battery.

Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2010, 11:59 PM   #138
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Haha, I still have my 505, too, and it's still working fine including the battery.

Do you use store books on the 2 cards? I wonder if that consumes more of the battery. My reader is always on and it is full of books. I have to charge it every 3 days, the bar goes down. I use to get almost 1-2 weeks.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:01 AM   #139
new
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I did it! I got my trade-in credit and bought a PRS-350 + leather cover for $101 shipped.

Is the 350 a move up from the 505? Does it have more storage, is the contrast better? It doesn't have the cards like the 505 I don't think. I haven't looked at any of the new readers, only online.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:03 AM   #140
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
The thing I saw at youtube that sold me is how easy it is to make larger print. The 505 doesn't make the large large enough and I have to use Calibre to convert to larger type. I don't think I would have to do that with the 650.

How long have you had your 505, and do you use the cards for storage? I use my 505 every night for 1-2 hours. I have had mine I think for almost 2 years now. My 2 cards are used and maybe that wore my battery out.
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 12:12 AM   #141
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Is the 350 a move up from the 505?
Opinions vary, but I say yes.

Quote:
Does it have more storage, is the contrast better?
Yes and yes.

Quote:
It doesn't have the cards like the 505 I don't think.
No, but it stores many more books than the 505 without a card.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:49 AM   #142
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Do you use store books on the 2 cards? I wonder if that consumes more of the battery. My reader is always on and it is full of books. I have to charge it every 3 days, the bar goes down. I use to get almost 1-2 weeks.
I think it's well known that, for the 505, the battery charge is depleted much faster when the books are stored in cards. I've never used a card in my 505.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:54 AM   #143
Seabound
Steerage Class

Quote:
Is the 350 a move up from the 505? Does it have more storage, is the contrast better? It doesn't have the cards like the 505 I don't think. I haven't looked at any of the new readers, only online.
I would also say that, yes, the 350 is a move up from the 505. The 350 has the pearl screen, for one thing. Other 350 features not in the 505 are the touch screen, annotation capability, and dictionary. It's probably faster, too. The 350 doesn't have a card slot, but that's not an issue for me.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:56 AM   #144
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I do want to upgrade my 505 to the 950, but I'm not giving it up... I'm much too attached to it. I will likely pass it along to my husband.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:25 PM   #145
new

Quote:
I would also say that, yes, the 350 is a move up from the 505. The 350 has the pearl screen, for one thing. Other 350 features not in the 505 are the touch screen, annotation capability, and dictionary. It's probably faster, too. The 350 doesn't have a card slot, but that's not an issue for me.

I should know, but isn't the 505 pearl screen? It seems they aren't putting the price lower than $179 for the 350 and $229 for the 650, but why is the 650 out of stock? Is it a game of Sony's to tease?
Old 12-27-2010, 02:59 PM   #146
kc24zz
Enthusiast
kc24zz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kc24zz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kc24zz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kc24zz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs 505, galaxy tab
The 505 is an older model reader with an excellent eink screen. The new pearl eink screens were released this year and are used in the new model sonys and kindles.

In november all the sonys where on sale and since then the 350 has bounced between $149 and $179. Sony has done a poor job in releasing the new models but sales have still exceeded their expectations.
kc24zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:16 PM   #147
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I do want to upgrade my 505 to the 950, but I'm not giving it up... I'm much too attached to it. I will likely pass it along to my husband.
That's how I feel about my 505. Actually, my original blue 505 got cracked and although I had already owned a few other readers, I wanted my first love, so I bought a sangria red replacement. I can't bring myself to sell it, but I can bring myself to give it to my sister and let her love the heck out of it like I did.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #148
Seabound
Steerage Class

Quote:
I should know, but isn't the 505 pearl screen? It seems they aren't putting the price lower than $179 for the 350 and $229 for the 650, but why is the 650 out of stock? Is it a game of Sony's to tease?
No, the 505 does not have the pearl screen. As another poster said, the 350 was on sale for $150 recently at sonystyle, but is now back up to $180 there. Borders still has the 350 at $150, though. The 650 is out of stock at sonystyle because they sold out. But Borders still has the 650 it seems.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:58 PM   #149
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc24zz View Post
The 505 is an older model reader with an excellent eink screen. The new pearl eink screens were released this year and are used in the new model sonys and kindles.

In november all the sonys where on sale and since then the 350 has bounced between $149 and $179. Sony has done a poor job in releasing the new models but sales have still exceeded their expectations.
After I read all the responses here I just had to go and see the new Sony and Kindle and all of the others. Unfortunately the 650 at Best Buy was frozen battery died, I did see the 350 and it seemed to have a shiny screen. I couldn't figure out how to use it, I think they didn't have any books loaded or I just couldn't figure it out. I looked at the Nook and I couldn't figure out how to enlarge print. The Kindle was easy to figure out how to enlarge print, and it is very light and easy to flip through pages. I think I want the Kindle!! I maybe would have liked the 650 but who knows. I found the Kindle screen not shiny. Funny how I couldn't get any of the other readers to flip through a book other than a Kindle.

I am not going to use the $75 for my 505. I still like the reader and just like most folks here we are addicted to ereaders! More toys. Anyone have an opinion on the Kindles? I do have epubs so I would have some trouble getting those on the Kindle wouldn't I? I use Calibre, but not as much knowledge as some here on good conversions.

Last edited by new; 12-28-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:09 AM   #150
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
I did see the 350 and it seemed to have a shiny screen. I looked at the Nook and I couldn't figure out how to enlarge print. The Kindle was easy to figure out how to enlarge print, and it is very light and easy to flip through pages. I think I want the Kindle!! I maybe would have liked the 650 but who knows. I found the Kindle screen not shiny..
Are you positive it wasn't an old 600 that was sitting where the 650 should be? I would only consider the 650 shiny if you feel that your 505 was shiny. Do you have a SonyStyle store near you? Best Buy is notorious for leaving the most beat up crap out and expecting it to entice buyers.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote