Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 02-10-2013, 04:54 AM   #571
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Thanks for the UK link, I've bookmarked it. I found copies of "Something Fresh" for 64p + £2.99 postage! I might stick to the charity shops, where pbacks are usually 50p.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #572
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I didn't think Abebooks was allow to sell used eBooks.
Jon:

Unless you're being ironic about the use of the phrase real book form, have another look at Arucaria's comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arucaria
Abebooks.com has several secondhand copies of Something Fresh in real book form at very reasonable prices (considerably less than Amazon).
You could of course be asserting that ebooks are "real books," too, but Arucaria's comment is only meant to be practical, isn't it?

Arucaria:

For many of us, the problem with physical books is that we lack the space for any more, which is why we emphasize the electronic kind. (Besides, ebooks are a damned sight greener than the paper variety.)

Hence the begging on this thread.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 02-11-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #573
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Jon:

Unless you're being ironic about the use of the phrase real book form, have another look at Arucaria's comment:

You could of course be asserting that ebooks are "real books," too, but Arucaria's comment is only meant to be practical, isn't it?

Arucaria:

For many of us, the problem with physical books is that we lack the space for any more, which is why we emphasize the electronic kind. (Besides, ebooks are a damned sight greener than the paper variety.)

Hence the begging on this thread.
an eBook is a real book. I was just hoping that the message got through. Obviously not.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #574
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
an eBook is a real book. I was just hoping that the message got through. Obviously not.
I think your message might well have gotten through (though you seemed less clear in expressing it than usual, which is understandable -- this is only an internet forum): No one has brought up places to buy paper books since that post.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 02-11-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:24 AM   #575
Araucaria
Bibliophile
Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW2, Moon Pro on Lenovo tablet
To me the main point is that, with the exception of a few of P G Wodehouse's books published before 1923, all the rest won't be in the public domain anywhere until 2025 (life plus 50) or 2045 (life plus 70), as Wodehouse lived until 1975.

So if you want a free copy of one, basically you shoudn't be asking here: and if you want to read his books cheaply you'll have to buy a physical book secondhand.

And yes, I too have trouble with finding space for all the real books that I have on my shelves.
Araucaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2013, 03:02 AM   #576
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araucaria View Post
To me the main point is that, with the exception of a few of P G Wodehouse's books published before 1923, all the rest won't be in the public domain anywhere until 2025 (life plus 50) or 2045 (life plus 70), as Wodehouse lived until 1975.
2026/2046, in fact. A work enters the public domain at the start of the year AFTER the 50th/70th anniversary of the death of the author.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:08 AM   #577
Araucaria
Bibliophile
Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
2026/2046, in fact. A work enters the public domain at the start of the year AFTER the 50th/70th anniversary of the death of the author.

Thanks Harry - I'll mark it on my calendar.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:45 AM   #578
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Sorry, I had no intention of creating a furore. I believed that Wodehouse's books were pd already, but accept that I was mistaken. Calm down folks, it's okay.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:11 AM   #579
Araucaria
Bibliophile

Eric Gill - An Essay on Typography

Eric Gill died in 1940 so his books are out of copyright in quite a lot of countries.

His An Essay on Typography is well worth reading, but it really needs to be seen in the way he both wrote and designed it. It is set in a typeface, Joanna, whuich he designed himself and which was first used in this book. The book is (inter a great deal of alia) about typography and the design of written/inscribed/printed letters more generally.

You can see selections from it, as published, here. In addition to the typeface and the way the book is presented, it also contains a substantial number of illustrations.

It's rather a large PDF (my copy is a bit more than 6.5 MB) but I think it ought to be readily available somewhere, even if only as a PDF.

The book is something of a manifesto, and something of a rant against industrialisation. Even for the non-typographer it has much that is interesting: and besides making very frequent use of the ampersand, it probably has the largest pilcrow-to-word ratio of any printed book.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to make it more widely available without emasculating it?
Old 02-16-2013, 04:13 AM   #580
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Given the subject matter, it's probably the sort of thing that can only be meaningfully distributed as a PDF.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:15 AM   #581
Araucaria
Bibliophile

Quote:
Given the subject matter, it's probably the sort of thing that can only be meaningfully distributed as a PDF.
Yes, Harry, I think you are right, but it isn't easy to find as a PDF. Is there any place for it here?
Old 02-16-2013, 04:17 AM   #582
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

If you are certain that the version you have genuinely is all Mr Gill's work, and does not contain any later introductions, or other editorial material, you could load it to the appropriate section of our eBook library here at MR.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #583
Araucaria
Bibliophile

Quote:
If you are certain that the version you have genuinely is all Mr Gill's work, and does not contain any later introductions, or other editorial material, you could load it to the appropriate section of our eBook library here at MR.
No, dammit, there's a modern introduction. And I believe copies of the original editions sell for fancy prices. It'll have to wait until I can find a scanned version of the 1930s originals.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:48 PM   #584
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araucaria View Post
No, dammit, there's a modern introduction. And I believe copies of the original editions sell for fancy prices. It'll have to wait until I can find a scanned version of the 1930s originals.
You could just delete the pages of introduction. The rest would be OK. But in the copy I found it was a pretty poor quality and low-res scan.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:45 AM   #585
Araucaria
Bibliophile

Eric Gill - An Essay on Typography

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
You could just delete the pages of introduction. The rest would be OK. But in the copy I found it was a pretty poor quality and low-res scan.
I've just posted it as a fairly large PDF in the "Other Books" section - pretty much as it was published in 1936, but with a cover reconstructed from the 1931 first edition. It contains no material but Gill's original text, so hopefully it is properly in the public domain.

It is, I think, a reasonably good scan too.

The only way in which it fails to reproduce Gill's original is that he clearly designed the book so that (in parts, anyway) facing pages needed to be seen simultaneously: an example is his re-working of a John Bull poster with the words "A DEMON who lives on the DEAD". But that's a minor issue.