Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-05-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
Mysterio
Mysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo
Kobo Store - Why Do the Prices Change After I Log In?

When I go to the Kobo store I will see a book for $7.99 but when I log in the price updates to $8.99. Is this because the default price is in $US but when I log in using my Canadian they update to $CDN? I'm just wondering.
Mysterio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That could make sense. IIRC if you're not logged in it would show you a "store" based on your IP address, but after you log in it uses your actually billing address. Would it make sense that your IP address would make it think you're in the U.S.?
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
feedbakbwr
Redwood Original
feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
I would not think that the CDN price would be more considering that our dollar is at par.
feedbakbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
Mysterio
Mysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
That could make sense. IIRC if you're not logged in it would show you a "store" based on your IP address, but after you log in it uses your actually billing address. Would it make sense that your IP address would make it think you're in the U.S.?
This is where I'm confused. My IP address is Canadian. The CDN dollar is essentially at par. Why the change.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:10 AM   #5
missimpossible
Groupie
missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2, Clara 2e, Oasis 3
I had a similar issue today. I haven't made an account yet, as I'm getting my KT for Christmas, but I've been looking around at books I might want to read so I can get started when I do get it. I was looking at a book today (Gardens of the Moon - the first Malazan book by Steven Erikson) and when I got the list of books for my search, it was at the top with a price of £4.99. However, when I clicked on the book to go into its page, the price was £6.49. I found this really confusing, does anyone have any idea what would cause that? Sorry if my explanation isn't too clear!
missimpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #6
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
I've seen the same thing happen at Amazon. Dear Author (a book review website) will sometimes list books that are for sale (with links to Amazon/B&N/Sony/Kobo) and often the price at Amazon is higher for me, visiting the book link from Canada, than what the sale price is supposed to be. And then, of course, there are the lovely "not available in your country" messages on some of these sale books. Grr.

Prices are always higher in Canada, despite what our dollar is worth, and often it's the publisher who sets the book price for books sold here.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:51 AM   #7
larryt
Enthusiast
larryt has learned how to read e-bookslarryt has learned how to read e-bookslarryt has learned how to read e-bookslarryt has learned how to read e-bookslarryt has learned how to read e-bookslarryt has learned how to read e-bookslarryt has learned how to read e-books

The increase in price may be related to the tax that is added.
larryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #8
Mysterio

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryt View Post
The increase in price may be related to the tax that is added.
No. Taxes are always added after.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:11 PM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sao View Post
Prices are always higher in Canada, despite what our dollar is worth, and often it's the publisher who sets the book price for books sold here.
Yes, Kobo can set the % of discount for non-Agency books, but the publisher sets the price. I believe (no proof at all) that publishers think that because we are so used to seeing the huge difference between US and CA prices on the back of the pBooks we buy, they figure they can just migrate that over to the eBook world--regardless of the exchange rate.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:41 AM   #10
feedbakbwr
Redwood Original
feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Yes, Kobo can set the % of discount for non-Agency books, but the publisher sets the price. I believe (no proof at all) that publishers think that because we are so used to seeing the huge difference between US and CA prices on the back of the pBooks we buy, they figure they can just migrate that over to the eBook world--regardless of the exchange rate.
That is exactly why I have issue buying many books as oppose to reading the free ones.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:47 AM   #11
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I use my Kobo discount codes and buy a great many books. I also borrow eBooks from our library. It's not that I am against free books, but I am addicted to CanLit, LOL. I just looked at my purchase history and saw that I bought 68 books from Kobo in 2011.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:49 AM   #12
feedbakbwr
Redwood Original

Quote:
I use my Kobo discount codes and buy a great many books. I also borrow eBooks from our library. It's not that I am against free books, but I am addicted to CanLit, LOL. I just looked at my purchase history and saw that I bought 68 books from Kobo in 2011.
That's pretty sweet. Where do you get discounts, like if you buy lots they give you codes as oppose to the ones ppl post on here?
Old 12-07-2011, 09:53 AM   #13
taming
Trying for calm & polite

No, I use the codes posted here on the Kobo forum (we seem to find them all).
Old 12-07-2011, 09:53 AM   #14
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
Quote:
I would love to see the CanLit books you read this year! My heart kind of fluttered a little when I read this. Also a huge CanLit fan!
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:57 AM   #15
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraPony View Post
I would love to see the CanLit books you read this year! My heart kind of fluttered a little when I read this. Also a huge CanLit fan!
I am a (relatively) new Canadian, and one of the joys of my life here has been exploring a whole new group of authors. I am leading a bookclub at the Red Deer Public Library this spring. The librarian laughed when I said I wanted to do (mostly) Canadian books.

PS: PM me if you want my list and I will see what I can do