Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Writer2ePub

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 04:15 AM   #196
stasys
Zealot
stasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo, Paperwhite
Great extension. But how to embed fonts? Or this function is yet under development?
Old 12-17-2010, 10:00 AM   #197
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Smile

Hi Luke

I just tried your W2E 1.1.9 and it was a complete success.

I just made an HTML file out of a PDF text using FineReader9.
I inserted this HTML file in a tailor made model in OpenOffice.org Writer 3.2 and saved it as an odt file.
After, I began to use W2E:
I checked the metadata, OK
I checked the splitting, choose my favorite font, OK
Pressed the button and 8 seconds later, I had a nice readable epub.

I have not tried complex epub yet (images, TOC, footnotes) and will try to report about it later.

This is an awesome extension. Making a plain epub with OpenOffice.org became at last nearly as easy as producing a PDF

Congratulations and thank you so much!!
Old 12-17-2010, 11:53 AM   #198
eBookLuke
Writer2ePub creator
eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: Cybook Bebook iLiad Kindle HanlinV2 Readius SonyPRS500 SonyPRS700 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by stasys View Post
Great extension. But how to embed fonts? Or this function is yet under development?
I have many requests about fonts embedding (also my own request ), and I will implement soon.
The problem is not to write the code, but to think about the interface.
I mean:
what fonts are to embed? All fonts used in the document? Only non-standard fonts? And how to recognize the OpenType Fonts? (please note that ePub supports officially only .otf fonts)

Any suggestion is welcome!

Luke
Old 12-17-2010, 10:43 PM   #199
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

User report

I worked a little more on my odt file, adding structure (title 1 and 2). My title 2 insert automatically a page break. I also added a TOC and one image.

The image was correctly processed, though set just a little on the right, maybe because of the small left margin on your CSS (not sure of it).

The text is very well processed but the created epub is lacking an hypertext TOC. I think this a an important requirement you should address. I have seen this feature implemented very cleanly in Sigil, in a little more confusing way in Calibre. If the original odt text has a structure (as many have), then the epub created out of it should have an hypertext TOC mirroring this structure.

It seems to me the way to go is to let the user chose on your extension which title to hypertext (the "Sigil" way). Up to now if we want to use this feature we have to use calibre or Sigil.

On the other hand, the dedicated TOC created in OpenOffice.org odt seems to be useless because it only duplicates awkwardly the epub hypertext.

Last thing. It seems that a one page Preferences panel, grouping metadata, splitting, fonts and TOC would be simpler. This way your extension would have only two buttons:
- Preferences panel
- Processing button
Old 12-18-2010, 02:51 AM   #200
eBookLuke
Writer2ePub creator
eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
User report

I worked a little more on my odt file…
Hi Roger,

I choose to separate metadata and preference panel bacause in the future the both will be grow to contain more data. Moreover, a beginner can ignore the Prefs, and just use the Metadata.

About internal links, they at the moment are ignored. This will be a must in the next releases. (someone can help me? I need more time! )

About the TOC:
W2E creates the TOC by using Headings 1-6 as reference. I don't like the Sigil way (even is very efficient) just because there are one more operation to do for the user.
Anyway, for OOo users, the simplest way to manage the TOC is to look at the Navigator Headings, the epub TOC will duplicate exactly the Navigator TOC. Just cange the heading styles the user can add or remove entries from the list.

About the images: please send to me at writer2epub[at]gmail.com the original .odt files and the generate epub, I will check the behaviour of the macro.

Thanks for your support

Luke
Old 12-18-2010, 03:59 AM   #201
stasys
Zealot
stasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBookLuke View Post
I mean:
what fonts are to embed? All fonts used in the document? Only non-standard fonts? And how to recognize the OpenType Fonts? (please note that ePub supports officially only .otf fonts)
Luke
I think epub shall be made with one font - otherwise it will be too big if fonts are embedded. So your interface with one font embedding seams quite reasonableas for me. Just make this checkbox active and embedd the font selected in the box.
To protect fonts copyrights, you can allow to export only free fonts, such as DejaVu and other fonts developed by FontForge - they are included anyway into OO package.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:30 AM   #202
roger64
Wizard

About TOC

It's my mistake.

W2E did indeed automatically produces an hypertext table of contents which works very well. I understand it's the easiest solution. Forgive my mistake.

I confirm that it's useless for a OpenOffice writer user to create a TOC. It would only duplicate the epub one.

I send you the book. The image is in page 2 and is totally unrelated to the book. It's just a trial.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:24 AM   #203
eBookLuke
Writer2ePub creator

Quote:
I think epub shall be made with one font - otherwise it will be too big if fonts are embedded. So your interface with one font embedding seams quite reasonableas for me. Just make this checkbox active and embedd the font selected in the box.
To protect fonts copyrights, you can allow to export only free fonts, such as DejaVu and other fonts developed by FontForge - they are included anyway into OO package.
There is a problem… The fonts listed in the preferences* are the fonts available in the system. Not all fonts installed in the system are .otf fonts.
Uhmm… I can list only .otf fonts, when I check the box… why not?

Luke

*in the preference window the font list can be discontined. It's a known bug, and is also the cause of the long delay in the window's opening.
I correct this bug when I start to work to fonts embedding.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:23 AM   #204
stasys
Zealot

eBookLuke,
But why only otf fonts? The most of them are not free.
The best way would be just to include in the extension a disclaimer stating that if somebody will want to sell epubs made with it, then no commercial fonts shall be embedded.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:31 AM   #205
eBookLuke
Writer2ePub creator

Quote:
eBookLuke,
But why only otf fonts? The most of them are not free.
The best way would be just to include in the extension a disclaimer stating that if somebody will want to sell epubs made with it, then no commercial fonts shall be embedded.
OTF fonts are the only officially supported by ePub. There are a lot of free format converter online that allows to convert all font formati in .otf.
About the disclaimer, it will be not a problem.

Luke

Last edited by eBookLuke; 12-18-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:32 PM   #206
stasys
Zealot

Well, otf fonts maybe officially supported, but I believe a lot of people are using ttf for docs creation - so why to police them to use fonts which they like?
And by not applying otf/ttf filter you can make embedding faster.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:02 PM   #207
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Moderator Notice
We now have a dedicated Writer2ePub section!

This thread is now read-only and will remain a sticky. Your are very much invited and encouraged to use the new section to post anything that comes to your mind related to Writer2ePub.

Cheers,
Alex
Closed Thread