Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-18-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Nook 1.5 Update Confirmed

B & N Staffmember Michael V just posted this over on the Nook boards:
Quote:
You asked, we listened: NOOK 1.5 Update is Coming

In our biggest update since we launched NOOK a year ago, we will dramatically increase NOOK 3G and NOOK Wi-Fi‘s page turn speed and deliver the features and performance enhancements most-requested from all of you!

The 1.5 update includes improved search on the device, customized B&N Library organization and password protection. It also includes the ability to sync across all NOOK and all devices enabled with our free NOOK apps, by syncing your last page read. If you forget your NOOK at home, use the NOOK app for iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, Android smartphone or PC to pick up where you left off. And, the next time you pick up your NOOK, the Reading Now page will be updated and ready to go.

The NOOK 1.5 software update is expected to be available late next month via Wi-Fi or manual download at www.NOOK.com/support.

In other NOOK news, NOOK for Android will also be getting an updated -- expected later this week. NOOK for Android v2.3 includes many customer-requested features including the ability to “Go To” a specific page number, search within a book, view highlights and notes, delete books from the library, plus an updated home screen and enhancements to make reading and managing side-loaded content easier. Learn more about NOOK for Android at www.bn.com/nookforandroid and download the app from an Android device by searching “NOOK” in the Android Marketplace.
I am overall very pleased, but afraid of this sentence:
Quote:
The 1.5 update includes improved search on the device,customized B&N Library organization and password protection.
I am afraid we are again being denied the abliity to organize non-B&N content. Which is by and large what MOST people were begging for in the forums: not so much the need to organize B&N content, but the ability to organize all grandfathered content that we had from other sources.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
If that is the case I will either need to root my Nook or sell it. I am seriously considering switching back to Sony at this point.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Performance enhancements are good. Don't care about the rest.

Now, is Nook 2 (the device) around the corner?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:37 PM   #4
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I am afraid we are again being denied the abliity to organize non-B&N content. Which is by and large what MOST people were begging for in the forums: not so much the need to organize B&N content, but the ability to organize all grandfathered content that we had from other sources.
Yes, I am afraid that's what it sounds like. Frankly, I am not a developer but I still wonder why they would enable B&N content organization but not the other stuff.

I had no qualms about the page turn speed and syncing across devices is nice but was not really high on anybody's priorities that I saw.

However, this is great news and I guess I will not be waiting to see if they release a Nook 2. I'm going to buy a replacement Nook for my lost one today.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:46 PM   #5
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
The (apparent) decision to not merge the My Docs with the B&N library, or upgrade the My Docs management was a lousy customer service decision...but a pretty smart business decision.
I know it sucks, but they have to have some sort of enticement for you to buy your ebooks from B&N. If the sideloaded contents are a pain in the neck to organize, then eventually people are going to think, "Oh, I'll just get it from B&N so it'll be easier to handle."
Assuming, of course that the title they want is available from B&N.
Sony doesn't do this because the bookstore isn't their main thing, like it is for B&N.

*the above is only my opinion*
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:58 PM   #6
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
Also not mentioned as being included (pick your favorite):
  • Longer battery life
  • Easier "freeze" diagnosis and correction
  • Simplified Wi-Fi connection and troubleshooting
  • Improved PDF handling: zoom/pan, landscape
  • Landscape reading option for other e-book formats
  • Handle TXT, HTML, and Word files
  • Fix dictionary bugs
  • Handle large B&N libraries
  • Integrate B&N Library and My Documents, or at least give My Documents equal abilities
  • Fast switching between a limited number of "current" e-books
  • Organizing or even sorting of music files and audiobooks
  • Make the sorting features ignore "A", "An", and "The" at start of title
  • WMA audiobook support
  • Delete items directly from NOOK
  • Download e-books via the web browser (maybe even OPDS?)
  • General browser improvements
  • Browsing over 3G
  • Parental controls
  • More font choices
  • Allow RSS feeds in The Daily
  • Usability improvements in highlights, notes, and bookmarks
  • Less tricky page-turn "swipe"
  • Make Sudoku "Easy" level actually easy
  • Customize main menu buttons (remove or at least reorder)
  • Installable apps
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:15 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Pardee View Post
Also not mentioned as being included (pick your favorite):
  • Longer battery life
  • Easier "freeze" diagnosis and correction
  • Simplified Wi-Fi connection and troubleshooting
  • Improved PDF handling: zoom/pan, landscape
  • Landscape reading option for other e-book formats
  • Handle TXT, HTML, and Word files
  • Fix dictionary bugs
  • Handle large B&N libraries
  • Integrate B&N Library and My Documents, or at least give My Documents equal abilities
  • Fast switching between a limited number of "current" e-books
  • Organizing or even sorting of music files and audiobooks
  • Make the sorting features ignore "A", "An", and "The" at start of title
  • WMA audiobook support
  • Delete items directly from NOOK
  • Download e-books via the web browser (maybe even OPDS?)
  • General browser improvements
  • Browsing over 3G
  • Parental controls
  • More font choices
  • Allow RSS feeds in The Daily
  • Usability improvements in highlights, notes, and bookmarks
  • Less tricky page-turn "swipe"
  • Make Sudoku "Easy" level actually easy
  • Customize main menu buttons (remove or at least reorder)
  • Installable apps
I love your list; but I'm afraid B&N doesn't.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:20 PM   #8
spec
Zealot
spec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Performance enhancements are good. Don't care about the rest.

Now, is Nook 2 (the device) around the corner?
Why do you need Nook 2? What's wrong with Nook 1's hardware? I agree software needs to be updated, but as far as hardware it's perfectly fine.
spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:24 PM   #9
spec
Zealot
spec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
However, this is great news and I guess I will not be waiting to see if they release a Nook 2. I'm going to buy a replacement Nook for my lost one today.
I second that. I completely don't see a need for Nook 2.

One other thing that comes to mind, is that if you paid for the lost nook with cc, perhaps the card has free insurance for this sort of accidents? I know mastercard offers free expansion of warranty for electronics paid for with it by 1 year. Perhaps they have a benefit that can help you?
Old 10-18-2010, 02:37 PM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by spec View Post
Why do you need Nook 2? What's wrong with Nook 1's hardware? I agree software needs to be updated, but as far as hardware it's perfectly fine.
Because it has poor battery life which means I'll have to spend $30 for a spare battery.

Because it's white which means I'll have to spend $20 to get a black skin.

Now it's suddenly $200 while the Kindle (with these features) is only $140.

That's why.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:37 PM   #11
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
B & N Staffmember Michael V just posted this over on the Nook boards:

I am overall very pleased, but afraid of this sentence:

well let's not do any 'the sky is falling" just yet.

It did say it was going to be it's largest firmware update. I wouldn't doubt it if the non bn content was included.

I got the Droid X and I have the Nook app so this should be fun to see the updates on that this week.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:40 PM   #12
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Because it has poor battery life which means I'll have to spend $30 for a spare battery.

That's why.

the kindle wi fi only is $140 as is the Nook wifi only which is $150, you can't compare theprices of the 3Gplus wifi to the only wifi

Just get a kindle for crying out loud. You tout it like it's the second coming bash the Nook at every chance.

Just buy it, be happy and move on. egads
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:43 PM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by spec View Post
One other thing that comes to mind, is that if you paid for the lost nook with cc, perhaps the card has free insurance for this sort of accidents? I know mastercard offers free expansion of warranty for electronics paid for with it by 1 year. Perhaps they have a benefit that can help you?
Most major credit cards (usually gold and higher) double the warranty up to one additional year.

They also provide free theft and damage protection during the first 90 days; but usually limited to $500 per claim.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:49 PM   #14
spec
Zealot

Quote:
Most major credit cards (usually gold and higher) double the warranty up to one additional year.
I dont have a gold card and I have that. I have a regular cc, nothing fancy, no annual fee. The person just has to call their bank

http://www.mastercard.com/us/persona...its/index.html
Old 10-18-2010, 02:57 PM   #15
spec
Zealot

Quote:

That's why.
I disagree regarding battery life, I think it's actually pretty good. The batteries that b&n sells are not spares, they are replacements (if your battery doesnt hold charge anymore). That's at least the way I understand it.

What makes you think nook 2 is going to come out in color that is going to be your favorite color then? I dont even know how to respond to that - this is probably the first time I'm hearing someone is not buying nook because of its color and calls color a feature.