Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you participate in a MR Author Book Club
Yes 8 50.00%
No 8 50.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
MobileRead Author book club interest

Somebody suggested a Mobile Read author book club in another thread, and I was wondering how many people would be interested.

I would be interested, but don't think I would participate every month (there don't seem to be that many member authors). Maybe have a new book every other month? I have a nice TBR list of MR authors, but don't seem to get around to them (sorry guys), and a book club would be a nice push to get me to read more.

***I am in no way implying that I will run the club.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-04-2010 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Corrected the Title name
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:44 PM   #2
Trebro
Connoisseur
Trebro began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I think this is a great idea! -Rob
Trebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2010, 03:08 AM   #3
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Somebody suggested a Mobile Read author book club in another thread, and I was wondering how many people would be interested.

I would be interested, but don't think I would participate every month (there don't seem to be that many member authors). Maybe have a new book every other month? I have a nice TBR list of MR authors, but don't seem to get around to them (sorry guys), and a book club would be a nice push to get me to read more.

***I am in no way implying that I will run the club.
I would participate, if the book was of interest to me...

It would be a great way of supporting new authors.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:51 PM   #4
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post

It would be a great way of supporting new authors.
Likewise. Some kinds of books I just can't get into, but I'd definitely be into giving it a shot, and supporting new authors.
nashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:31 AM   #5
Helen Smith
Zealot
Helen Smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Helen Smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Helen Smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Helen Smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Helen Smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Helen Smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Helen Smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Helen Smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Helen Smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Helen Smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Helen Smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Hello, I think it's a great idea. Like Lene, I would participate if the book looked interesting. I'd hate to read an author's book - or have anyone read one of mine - out of a sense of duty.

I ought to mention that I'm a Mobile Read author.
Helen Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 08:57 AM   #6
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Great idea... I would participate if the book looked interesting.

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:36 AM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Quote:
Likewise. Some kinds of books I just can't get into, but I'd definitely be into giving it a shot, ...
Quote:
... I would participate if the book looked interesting. I'd hate to read an author's book - or have anyone read one of mine - out of a sense of duty.
Quote:
... I would participate if the book looked interesting.
That's what I like about the other Book Club, even if I don't read the #1 choice, there's usually one in the top three that grabs my interest.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:23 PM   #8
Trebro
Connoisseur
Trebro began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I'm a little surprised the vote is 7-6. I didn't think the idea would be so iffy.

-Rob
Trebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:27 PM   #9
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebro View Post
I'm a little surprised the vote is 7-6. I didn't think the idea would be so iffy.
-Rob
It's not really "iffy". What the poll is really asking is how many people would be interested in a book club. The "no"s (like me) don't really count. That is to say, you could get 1000 "no"s and 100 "yes"s and the yes vote would "win" - a hundred people sounds like a pretty darn solid membership for a book club.

Cheers,
Marc (not "against", just not personally interested)
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:35 PM   #10
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
Interesting idea! As an author, my participation might depend on how many other projects were currently in the pipeline, so I will refrain from obligating myself by a vote... but I heartily approve.

- M.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote