Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-08-2006, 05:58 PM   #1
bugsbunny14
Connoisseur
bugsbunny14 began at the beginning.

do i have to switch off the reader before removing the sd card ?

hello all ,

i have a simple question :
do i have to switch off the reader before removing the sd card ?

thanks .
bugsbunny14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 06:07 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Nope.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2006, 06:07 PM   #3
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
I would say yes — I have several devices and all the manuals say to switch off before removing memory cards.

I believe this is to prevent corrupting the card - I don't think it would damage the ereader — but I would still err on the side of caution.

Switch it off before removing any memory card!
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 06:15 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I haven't had any issues with pulling it in and out with the Reader on, it seems to treat it like a floppy drive does a disk. I have an SD reader attached to my computer ... two actually counting the one at work, and they work this way. Further, the Sony folks didn't suggest that turning it off was necessary, and we were popping cards in and out a lot that day
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 10:17 PM   #5
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I would agree that it's safer to not pull the card out at certain times. I'd be most concerned right after inserting a card, when the Reader may be writing to the SD card cache file. Or also if changing the size on an sd card book (again it might be writing to the card). Or, the last case I can think of, while you are exiting a book or creating a bookmark.

My concern is the same... if it is removed while writing, it may corrupt the card. It does cause problems on other pda devices.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert