Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #316
trksh22
I'd Rather be Reading
trksh22 is on a distinguished road

Device: K2
It looks like it's a lendable title. Maybe check Kindle lending sites? I read paper copies, not Kindle, or else I would have loaned you it.

I don't know if there is a preferred lending site, but i did find this one: http://booklending.com/borrow-book.htm?search=the+enemy
trksh22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:32 PM   #317
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
How about Raising Stony Mayhall by Daryl Gregory. The author describes it as anti-horror.

The story of a zombie that grows up, from the zombie's point of view. Pulled down a sample and enjoyed what I read and finally purchased the full ebook. Available at both Amazon and B&N

Here's a review from SF Signal.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2011, 07:37 PM   #318
AkumaTakeshi
Lounge Lurker
AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi (Screen Broken)
Discovered why it's not on Amazon for me, "Not Available to Europe" seems I'm gonna "move" to US when I have some time
AkumaTakeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:02 AM   #319
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I recently grabbed "Quarantined" by Joe McKinney and found it to be pretty good. I was pretty much hooked on him once I read "Dead City."
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:10 AM   #320
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
I recently grabbed "Quarantined" by Joe McKinney and found it to be pretty good. I was pretty much hooked on him once I read "Dead City."
Thanks for the recommendadtion - I like the sound of these, especially Quarantined .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2011, 06:07 PM   #321
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by trksh22 View Post
You should try The Dead and The Enemy by Charlie Higson. It's like Lord of the Flies (I read it a long time ago so I don't remember if I liked LotF. I mainly use it because it's the closest book that I can think of. A bunch of kids trying to survive, but a thousand times better) meets zombies. It's probably on your list, I'm always harping about them on here. Someone else needs to read it! Come on, do it.
Ok, both are now on my TBR list.
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #322
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Not zombies but mummies. You don't see very many mummy based novels.

Eternal Unrest by Lorne Dixon-

http://www.amazon.com/Eternal-Unrest...1211421&sr=8-2

It's a great read if you're a fan of classic Universal monsters movies. It's also available through B&N and Smashwords, depending on what format you use.

I'll also recommend Joe McKinney. I haven't read Quarantined yet but his 3 zombie novels are excellent.

Last edited by xg4bx; 07-20-2011 at 09:42 PM.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:35 AM   #323
remcdonald
Connoisseur
remcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Kobo, Kobo Touch
don't know if it got mentioned yet but Cherie Priests' Steampunk stuff features zombies prominently and are some of the best book with zombies in them that I have read. Start with Boneshaker and then you can work through the one or two others she has released.
remcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #324
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
The good zombie books are out there... right between the good circumcision books, and the good mastectomy books.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:31 PM   #325
melaniejaxn
Enthusiast
melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by remcdonald View Post
don't know if it got mentioned yet but Cherie Priests' Steampunk stuff features zombies prominently and are some of the best book with zombies in them that I have read. Start with Boneshaker and then you can work through the one or two others she has released.
Another excellent series by her that has assorted creepies including zombies is Four and Twenty Blackbirds, Not Flesh Nor Feathers, and Wings to the Kingdom.
melaniejaxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:29 PM   #326
ZombieEatsYou
Groupie
ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7" & 8.9"/Sony PRS 950/Entourage eDGe/Acer A500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
Yeah I saw them mentioned and they are on my list too. Right now I'm looking more for the post apocalyptic survival type novel at the moment though. Am sort of on a kick for that kind of thing right now.

Cheers,
PKFFW
Alas, Babylon?
ZombieEatsYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:31 PM   #327
ZombieEatsYou
Groupie
ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7" & 8.9"/Sony PRS 950/Entourage eDGe/Acer A500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
Ok, read WWZ and thoroughly enjoyed it. I went on to I am Legend after seeing it recommended in this thread a few times. Got to say, didn't do much for me. I found it boring to tell the truth.

I've got Rot and Ruin and Risen ready to go.

What would be my best bet for something with a bit of action but also is kind of thoughtful and character oriented?

Cheers,
PKFFW
Rise Again is very character driven. My review here.
ZombieEatsYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:34 AM   #328
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

White Flag of the Dead by Joseph Talluto. There are 3 books (I've only read the first).

It seems like standard zombie fare at first but the books are more focused on rebuilding a society than just a standard "hide&survive" scenario. Its more about the survivors than the zombies, if that makes any sense. There's plenty of action to be sure but the book focuses more on John Talon and his efforts at rebuilding a functioning, liveable community in the midst of an outbreak than non-stop, Resident Evil style hijinks.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:17 PM   #329
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
Its more about the survivors than the zombies, if that makes any sense.
That's probably my favorite part of zombie books.

I'll have to check that book out.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:20 AM   #330
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?

I don't know if it's been recommended already but I'll suggest Resurrection by Tim Curran. It's a lengthy read (in print it's about 670 pages) but it's never dull. The angle in this is that these zombies can't be killed, even chopping them up doesn't stop them. It's a very dark and atmospheric book, no sunshine and puppies here.

Here's the official description-

"The rain is falling and the dead are rising. It began at an ultra-secret government laboratory. Experiments in limb regeneration-an unspeakable union of Medieval alchemy and cutting edge genetics result in the very germ of horror itself: a gene trigger that will reanimate dead tissue...any dead tissue. Now it's loose. It's gone viral. It's in the rain. And the rain has not stopped falling for weeks. As the country floods and corpses float in the streets, as cities are submerged, the evil dead are rising. And they are hungry."