Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-20-2012, 11:09 AM   #736
Jarr
Jarr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Guys, guys, guys, what's so simple about this method. You are linking to like a dozen threads, with like a dozen different colors meaning god knows what. And you are talking extraterrestrial.

My problem :

I have added a file "ENABLE_DIAGS" on my kindle, everything has gone to hell since. I'm stuck in diagnostic mode, I have removed the file, hasn't changed anything. I have the last Kindle 4, the black one. All I want is to be back in the main mode, worst case scenario reset the entire thing, no flashing or crazy stuff.

I have tried to follow the "Successful Debricking Begins Here", well it began, but there is no middle or end. Nothing happens when I start MfgTool thing. And in the device managed, I can only see HID-compliance device not the other one. At some point one of the tutorial says to delete the folders in Profiles, but then you don't give the files to replace it with...

No but seriously, I need something simple that works. It can't be hard to undo that, I have added only one file ?
Thanks
Jarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #737
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Ship it back to Amazon for replacement.

OR

"Stuck in diagnostics mode" is not equal to "Bricked Kindle".
So no need to "De-birick it".

Just unplug the USB cable and use the diags menu to "exit from diags" (or whatever it is called on a K4B).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #738
Jarr
Jarr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Ye I forgot to say but I alrdy did that "disable diagnostics" and it return an error "device_info.xml" not found (Run Device Setting.) And if I reboot it will just run to diagnostic over again.

Well I'll rather not ship it back to Amazon, yet, there can't be no solution ?

In that thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=183033
A guy has the same problem, and they redirected him to the simple debricking thread... I still don't understand what it means.

Anybody else has a solution ?

solved: So yes I used the Device Setting, then I could run again Disable diagnostics... No really, that is simple. Ok I'm a noob, but can't you guys pro not redirect ppl to crazy stuff that pretend to be "simple" with all the colors of the rainbow in it... or "send it back to amazon" ^^

Last edited by Jarr; 10-20-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Jarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #739
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarr View Post
Ye I forgot to say but I alrdy did that "disable diagnostics" and it return an error "device_info.xml" not found (Run Device Setting.) And if I reboot it will just run to diagnostic over again.

Well I'll rather not ship it back to Amazon, yet, there can't be no solution ?

In that thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=183033
A guy has the same problem, and they redirected him to the simple debricking thread... I still don't understand what it means.

Anybody else has a solution ?

solved: So yes I used the Device Setting, then I could run again Disable diagnostics... No really, that is simple. Ok I'm a noob, but can't you guys pro not redirect ppl to crazy stuff that pretend to be "simple" with all the colors of the rainbow in it... or "send it back to amazon" ^^
The "send it back to amazon" was a direct response to your request for something you could understand.

"All the colors of the rainbow" is the posting style of one out of the 200,000 members of this site. Ignore it if you don't like it.

IF your Kindle had been bricked, then the de-bricking information would have been useful.
You would have also found it simpler for **that task** (de-bricking) than what you might find elsewhere.

I think an apology to all the people who have invested so much of their time to make what information is here available would be appropriate.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #740
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
The thread has grown in many directions to cover many more situations on more kindle models. That is exactly WHY the small debricking guides for noobs were created. They are simplified versions of general information provided in the debricking threads. And being stuck in diags is not bricked, so the complexity of a debricking thread is not really applicable to you in this case. And compared to previous debricking methods that required opening your kindle and soldering wires inside it, the simple debricking method certainly IS an appropriate name for the thread.

Of course, for some people, the ONLY simple method is to send it back to amazon.

@Jarr: I am glad you finally managed to learn what you needed to get your kindle out of diags mode.

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-20-2012 at 12:30 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2012, 04:12 AM   #741
Mike76
Connoisseur
Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013, Kobo Mini, iPad Mini
I've succesfully debricked my K4NT Black SO using the "Small debricking guide for noobs" guide and 4.0.0 kernel images. (At first I' tried 4.0.1 images, but the Kindle doesn't boot up for some reason.) It's not perfect - it can't connect to my Amazon account, and I'm not able to update the firmware nor to 4.0.1, neither to 4.1.0, but it's usable.
Mike76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #742
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Some people are saying in the ATK thread that the multipart zip download is broken due to limited downloads or something to that effect. Do we need for them to be hosted elsewhere?
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:05 AM   #743
knc1
Going Viral

K3 image at mediafire

This is the message I get on part 1:
Quote:
The file you attempted to download is an archive that is damaged or possibly encrypted. MediaFire does not support unlimited downloads of broken or encrypted archives and the limit for this file has been reached. This file may only be distributed from a premium account.

We have informed the owner that sharing of this file has been limited and how they can resolve this issue.

Still have questions or do you think we've made an mistake? Check our knowledge base for more information or contact us about it.
So I guess we can wait for the owner of that mediafire account to take action, or find a new home for them (or both).

Here is the description of a "restricted file":
http://support.mediafire.com/index.p...le-restriction

I.E: MediaFire only allows ten Kindles a week to be de-bricked with the owner's current account.

Last edited by knc1; 10-21-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #744
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
I wont be able to find a new home for them until maybe later this afternoon. We should probably find a way to mirror them anyways, thatway this stuff doesnt happen.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:34 AM   #745
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The files have had many thousands of downloads, so this is a new restriction. They are not encrypted, but their content is not recognized by the file hosting service as a recognized document or media format (especially the two-part zip files.

The problem was probably caused by excessive bandwidth consumption, and will likely affect the *.gmv.gz video files for the geekmaster video player too, so we need to mirror them too. I just received a PM last night from a new member who said he registered just to thank me for the kindle video player, so there were probably a lot of large video files downloaded from Mediafire recently.

EDIT: I just followed the link provided by qlob, and it says that multi-part zip files such as the K3 main partition are limited to 10 downloads per week, so those are the most important files to mirror at a less-restricted location. The mirrors should probably use a large gzip file instead of a two-part zip for these files.

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-21-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #746
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike76 View Post
I've succesfully debricked my K4NT Black SO using the "Small debricking guide for noobs" guide and 4.0.0 kernel images. (At first I' tried 4.0.1 images, but the Kindle doesn't boot up for some reason.) It's not perfect - it can't connect to my Amazon account, and I'm not able to update the firmware nor to 4.0.1, neither to 4.1.0, but it's usable.
It was reported that the 4.0.0 image contains a screensaver hack that needs to be removed so you can update the firmware. You should be able to rename the "800x600" folders to do that manually... You should be able to connect to amazon. Perhaps you need to factory reset and re-register?
Old 10-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #747
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yep, kill the 600x800 symlink and restore the 600x800_ backup . [In /opt/amazon/screen_saver].

It's also massively flooding the logs/rw var if you don't actually have the corresponding folder the symlink points to in your userstore, so that may explain the other weird behavior (besides draining the battery like crazy).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-21-2012 at 09:48 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:58 AM   #748
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
I wont be able to find a new home for them until maybe later this afternoon. We should probably find a way to mirror them anyways, that way this stuff doesn't happen.
and:
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
EDIT: I just followed the link provided by qlob, and it says that multi-part zip files such as the K3 main partition are limited to 10 downloads per week, so those are the most important files to mirror at a less-restricted location. The mirrors should probably use a large gzip file instead of a two-part zip for these files.
This is not really my field of expertise, but . . . .

Try the Ukraine:
https://www.ex.ua/register

The only file I ever uploaded (my own K3-J14 dxf file):
http://www.ex.ua/view_storage/688554807835
(Use your: "Save as" browser feature, otherwise its served as a text file (it is a text file)).

Actually, I (accidentally) uploaded it twice, once before registering.
http://www.ex.ua/

The registration page has the account limits:
<= 50Gbyte
downloaded at least once every 30 days.
(So set up a cron job to download it once every 3 weeks.)

Last edited by knc1; 10-21-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:17 AM   #749
geekmaster

I think that Mediafire would not have a problem with gzip images of each part of a split image file. And you could flash them on K4. /K5) with:

zcat part1.gz part2.gz | dd of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4K

On a K3 you can concatenate the gzip files before (or after) extraction, before you flash them.

I suppose that we should replace the multi-part zip files with gzip files containing the split debricking repair image files. Of course, they should be split on 4K boundaries.

And mirroring to other sites is still a very good policy to prevent future problems.

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-21-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #750
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I think that Mediafire would not have a problem with gzip images of each part of a split image file. And you could flash them with:

zcat part1.gz part2.gz | dd of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4k
Hey, your doing the upload, so do it however you wish.

But you can expect that the rules may change at any moment, as the services try to defend themselves against the Department of Justice:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-574...om-megaupload/

Of course, even Kim Dotcom is having second thoughts on the matter:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-575...-dead-as-mega/

Meanwhile, in the Ukraine . . . .
Dah, what's a department of justice?

Last edited by knc1; 10-21-2012 at 10:28 AM.

Tags
debricking