Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-14-2011, 10:04 PM   #1
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
ePub to Mobi cover art - inconsistent

I have converted some epubs to mobi with default settings.
The ePubs all had cover art showing on the iBooks bookshelf.
When they are on the mobipocket reader's book shelf some have cover art and some don't. They all have cover art when the book is opened and I select cover from the TOC

The only thing I could find on this subject was left unanswered.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77352

Any suggestions?
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:37 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Look at your files to see if the offending files have SVG covers. Check to see if Calibre has found the covers in your ePub files and set them as cover in the metadata, if not, load them from the ebook file or externally. Look at the conversion logs of the offending files to see if there are any abnormal messages regarding the cover- compare with the conversion logs of the working files.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2011, 06:54 AM   #3
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Look at your files to see if the offending files have SVG covers.
Why would this make a difference?

It seems like I read somewhere that mobi isn't compatible with SVG but all of my ebooks are created/edited/converted in epub with Sigil & have SVG covers and they're all still there and look great after converting to mobi using Calibre.

What am I missing?

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:00 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfollowell View Post
Why would this make a difference?

It seems like I read somewhere that mobi isn't compatible with SVG but all of my ebooks are created/edited/converted in epub with Sigil & have SVG covers and they're all still there and look great after converting to mobi using Calibre.

What am I missing?

- Byron
I asked about this because Kovid remarked in the thread linked in the OP that SVG covers could be problematic. Also, I seem to remember a similar thing about SVG covers and MOBI files, so why not exclude that possibility?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:44 AM   #5
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
I asked about this because Kovid remarked in the thread linked in the OP that SVG covers could be problematic. Also, I seem to remember a similar thing about SVG covers and MOBI files, so why not exclude that possibility?
True, no problem. I just wanted to find out if there was some specific issue rather than just the general they're not compatible with mobi issue I keep hearing about but have never experienced.

Of course, I use Sigil before converting so I know exactly how my covers are setup. It sounds like this user is coming from ibooks straight to Calibre for conversion and likely isn't looking at the code.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2011, 12:02 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre's mobi output plugin rasterizes SVG images, unless you are running ona headless linux box.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote