Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-09-2010, 09:05 PM   #1
si14
si14 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
complete XKCD dump, packed for Kindle

Topic title speaks for itself. Just a couple of hours and some programming skill

http://db.tt/E2udk4J

Last edited by DMcCunney; 10-15-2010 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Undid moderation - site is CC liscensed.
si14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
TotallyEpic
Enthusiast
TotallyEpic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G + Wifi
Downloading, nice size file. Take long to load?

I've considered doing something like this myself! Take it you coded a crawler to crawl their RSS feed?
TotallyEpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2010, 03:31 AM   #3
fallsauce
fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3
ooh, thanks!

I was thinking about reading xkcd on my K3, but haven't been bothered to convert anything yet, lol
fallsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
This is great. Thanks. Too bad you didn't include the ALT text.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
This is great. Thanks. Too bad you didn't include the ALT text.
Huh? The alt text is underneath each comic.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
flandroid
Connoisseur
flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2/3/4/PW3
I haven't loaded this onto my Kindle yet, and am unlikely to do so for about a week as I'm away on business in the morning -- anyone care to let me know how it looks/performs on the device?
flandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:41 PM   #7
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
Huh? The alt text is underneath each comic.
You are absolutely right! The early xkcd were not as dialog heavy as the later ones and I thought the bottom text was just the captions. This is now perfect. Now I just need to figure out how to do the same thing for other web comics. Any suggestions on what program to use to download a web comic's entire collection?
Old 10-12-2010, 01:52 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Dilbert
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:32 AM   #9
si14

I've used a self-made python script. If anybody need it, I can develop it further to handle another comics.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:07 AM   #10
badbob001
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by si14 View Post
I've used a self-made python script. If anybody need it, I can develop it further to handle another comics.
The actual downloading of the comics is not so interesting since there are several tools out there that does that. What I'm really curious about is the specifics of packaging a bunch of images into a mobi file. Is that done by your script as well?

I peeked at the mobi format and saw strange things like limiting images to 63K and limited control over the size that the image is rendered. Any insight you can share would be great.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:20 AM   #11
Bill Lumburgh
Enthusiast
Bill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipse

Device: K3
Very cool. Thank you.
Bill Lumburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:19 AM   #12
karthwyne
Connoisseur
karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Wifi, Kindle US
Thank you. I had actually started re-reading these earlier this week.
karthwyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #13
si14

Quote:
What I'm really curious about is the specifics of packaging a bunch of images into a mobi file. Is that done by your script as well?
Partially. My script makes .html, .ncx and .opf files and then I just run KindleGen on the .opf file.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:48 PM   #14
ChaoZ
Connoisseur
ChaoZ doesn't litterChaoZ doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Mini, Kobo Touch
It's very good for the most part, however because xkcd isn't fixed in size, sometimes the rollover captions appear on a page by themselves. Also, some (again because of its size or orientation) are just plain hard to read, without the ability to zoom into the pics.

Still love it though. Thanks!
ChaoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:20 PM   #15
si14

You can sometimes zoom an images a bit by clicking on it with joystick.