Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Split long words using the "¬" character (small screens)

Mainly because columns and table cells look awful on smaller screens when the text is set to justified. Here's an example:

I would like to split "sublocotenent" and other long words so that when they get squeezed closer to each other there won't be such huge gaps in the text. It will break at "subloco-" and continue on the next line. This probably isn't guaranteed to get rid of all the gaps (depending very much on the software's handling method, font selection, font size, etc) but I'm sure it would help, to some extent.

This is obviously intended for re-flowing formats such as tagged PDFs, ePub files. I don't know about Mobi/PRC. Will they survive a conversion? And will they be read ok by e-readers?

What am I saying... Is this even possible at all? Can it be done?
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Probably it can be done. However, please be aware that a lot of older readers will not support it. It is very possible the character is replaced by a question mark instead of just not showing it.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2012, 04:42 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I guess you'd have to use the ­ entity or directly the equivalent soft hyphen character (in the appropriate encoding). Do not use the ¬ character, if it appears in Word it's only a visual thing (just like the end of paragraph appears as ¶, but it's not really the ¶ character). Of course, then you'd have to find out whether or not a reader supports it.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:11 AM   #4
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
http://infogridpacific.typepad.com/u...continued.html

"Hyphenated words won't be searchable (without space in between) on most devices."

WHAT ???

Are you kidding me? What the heck are they doing with ePub 3 and Kindle Format 8 ?? Audio? Video???
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:09 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I guess that applies if you manually add a soft hyphen (and if the searching software is not prepared to handle it, which it should). If it's the reading software who automatically applies hyphenation (as in ADE 1.8, I believe), it should not affect searching.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2012, 07:09 AM   #6
PattyPacheco
PattyPacheco began at the beginning.

Device: none
I think we shouldn't leave this set of gaps as they exist for now, I am quite disturbed by them either. That looks quite odd for me, though so many people got used to see the texts with these blanks.