Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-11-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Kindle Touch - Reindexing existing content

I've noticed a curious thing about indexing on my Kindle Touch: if I add a new book by an author that I already have books for on the Touch, then not only the new book, but also all the other books by that same author get re-indexed. Eg, I've just added a Robert Heinlein book to the Touch, and both the new book AND the 10 other Heinlein books that I already had on there are in the indexing queue.

Anyone know why it might do this? Just seems a little curious.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Sounds like a bug to me.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
That doesn't sound right. My Touch doesn't do that.
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:40 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are you sure it doesn't? Add a book by an author that's already on the Touch, and then look at the list of what's being indexed.

It would be a bit weird if my Touch were behaving differently to others.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:19 PM   #5
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yea that is weird, but mine doesn't do that. I just added one more book from George R.R. Martin and did a search, it shows only 1 book that's not indexed.
Advert
Old 12-11-2011, 04:29 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'm adding my books with Calibre. I wonder if that might have something to do with it?
Old 12-11-2011, 04:36 PM   #7
shinew
Addict

that could be the reason because as I remember Calibre organize contents by Author. It could be that it just overwrite everything under the author dir when you're sending it to the device.

I just drag & drop what I want to read into the document folder, don't really see the needs or benefit for using Calibre for it.

Last edited by shinew; 12-11-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:10 AM   #8
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I just drag and drop as well (to my Kindle Touch) and have never had the problem you are experiencing.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:03 AM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Calibre (by default) groups books by a given author below a single folder, does it not? maybe Kindle reindexes everything in the folder when anything changes in there. That would be a bug, but not one you'd encounter normally.

Note that Kindle Touch has changed the way it organizes content from Amazon (creates a subfolder for each book to contain that book's 'sidecar' files). I would not be surprised if their testing didn't include calibre scenario.

Last edited by tomsem; 12-12-2011 at 01:07 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:30 PM   #10
ymj60
ymj60 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Sorry to be ignorant, but how do you know what is indexing, and find that list? I ask because I am gradually transferring my library, about 700 books to my new touch, from my K2 archives. I don't want to do them to quickly and bog it down. Is about 50-60 books at a time too many?
ymj60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:37 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymj60 View Post
Sorry to be ignorant, but how do you know what is indexing, and find that list? I ask because I am gradually transferring my library, about 700 books to my new touch, from my K2 archives. I don't want to do them to quickly and bog it down. Is about 50-60 books at a time too many?
Do a search for a non-existent string from the home page - "xxxxxxxx" or something like that. If items remain to be indexed, on the page which lists the search results, it will say "5 items not yet indexed" (or whatever the number might be), which is itself a selectable item. Select it, and you'll see the names of the books that are awaiting indexing.

No, 50 or so at a time is fine. That'll probably take a couple of hours to index. Best to leave it connected to a power source while it's indexing - it uses a lot of power.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:42 PM   #12
ymj60
ymj60 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Thanks for the quick reply. Does it need to be connected to wifi while it is indexing? Also if you are transferring collections, do you need to transfer the whole library before doing this, or can you do it and it will just put into collections what you have downloaded so far? Sorry for the long crazy sentence. I hope that made sense.
ymj60 is offline   Reply With Quote