Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-21-2012, 02:00 AM   #31
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i don't even bother with brick&mortar for anything besides food anymore, i'm done with continually being disappointed in stores. i can go online and buy exactly what i'm looking for in less than 5 minutes.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:10 AM   #32
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
So I've been through some changes. Hence, when bookstores turned into bestseller outlets, I didn't miss the experience at all. I'm perfectly happy browsing my usual hangouts for eBooks. I do miss the conversations you could have there, but hey, that is what MR is for.

Then pull up a chair and we'll play some checkers on the ole pickle barrel

Spoiler:
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:20 AM   #33
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Nahh, let's play my game of choice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	go01.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	91057   Click image for larger version

Name:	go02.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	91058  
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:28 AM   #34
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Nahh, let's play my game of choice.
I've never played Go before. I only play American games that were invented in other countries.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:32 AM   #35
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Soo, no Monopoly for monkey?
Old 08-21-2012, 02:40 AM   #36
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Soo, no Monopoly for monkey?
Not really. It's rather boring.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:08 AM   #37
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
the kindle, surprisingly, has made me miss bookstores even more i miss the friendly faces and the great service, so i always make it a point to buy something if i get the chance to stop by
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:21 AM   #38
Art3mis
Art3mis reads XML... blindfoldedArt3mis reads XML... blindfoldedArt3mis reads XML... blindfoldedArt3mis reads XML... blindfoldedArt3mis reads XML... blindfoldedArt3mis reads XML... blindfoldedArt3mis reads XML... blindfoldedArt3mis reads XML... blindfoldedArt3mis reads XML... blindfoldedArt3mis reads XML... blindfoldedArt3mis reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Touch
My bookstore experience was ruined long before I got my first Kindle, when I started having two-to-three week waits on every book that I wanted to read, because the stores never stocked what I wanted. (Even if they were very popular books such as Erin Hunter's Warriors series or Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles.)

There's never been much choice in any of the bookstores I've found locally for the past five or six years, and when I do see a book that I want, I've always been able to find it cheaper online - no, the Kindle didn't ruin my bookstore experience - my bookstore experience hasn't been positive for quite a while. Amazon and Book Depository have just made buying books (both in paper and on-screen) easier and more enjoyable.
Art3mis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:35 AM   #39
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I do occasionally go back to our local bookstore (Waterstones) for a browse, but haven;t bought anything there for years really.
The experience isn't that great anymore anyway, they don't sell Tabletop RPGs and the range of books isn't that great.
That and they seem to sell as much trashy trinkets and stuff as books these days.
So really I go there less and less.

I DO still like exploring secondhand bookshops and occasionally buy books, even if it's just to browse/read once and pass onto a friend or give back to a second hand shop/charity shop.

As I'm in the middle of a move to another country, I've noticed our local train station has a "Free books" stand, so I've been donating books to that as well.

TBH for novels, ebooks are far more practical for me.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:55 AM   #40
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a Tabletop Rocket Propelled Grenade?
Old 08-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #41
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I've only been to B&N a couple of times in the last year. A few years back it was at least a weekly visit. Their selection has gone horribly downhill.
Amazon now fulfills my book needs.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #42
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Quote:
Forgive my ignorance, but what is a Tabletop Rocket Propelled Grenade?

Heh, Tabletop Roleplaying games..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing_game

I should stop abbreviating Roleplaying games to "RPGs" on non-Roleplaying game forums.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:17 AM   #43
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I've only been to B&N a couple of times in the last year. A few years back it was at least a weekly visit. Their selection has gone horribly downhill.
Amazon now fulfills my book needs.
Agreed. The Chapters here is sad. The Children's book section is pretty decent and the fiction section is passable at times, but there's so much floorspace devoted to about seven titles. Last time I was there they had an entire thirty and thirty foot wall devoted to The Hunger Games. The thing that really kills it for me is that I like browsing for books in a physical store, but even when I find something in the modest selection in the Chapters now I can't fathom paying a 60% markup to buy it there. I'll take it online and buy for $12 what they charge $20 for in the store.

I love physical stores for cooking and childrens' books. Otherwise I search on-line now.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #44
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djulian View Post
Has this happened to you all too? Do you still spend hours hunting for books and cultivating your shelves? Or do you now just tap, "Add to Wishlist" and grab it when you have the funds and the time?

Is this even a bad change?

I don't know. I just don't feel like going to Barnes & Noble again, which makes me feel a bit like I've lost something important.
What you are talking about is using bookstores as showrooms for books. Apparently that sort of thing is killing Best Buy, and contributed to the demise of the Big Brick Bookstores.

I'm fortunate enough to live in A Big City where there are 3 used bookstores within walking distance, and one indie bookstore, also within walking distance, as good as any I've seen in my travels around the country.

I tend to visit one of the used and the indie once a week, just to browse the stacks. My general policy is to buy from the bookstore unless they don't have what I'm looking for or if I find a book that I know I will be wanting in a smaller form factor for travel purposes, in which case I want an ebook version.

What ebooks give me is (1) a portable library in a small package and (2) access to out of copyright books which are not easily available in pbook form. I do some ebook reading at home, but much more pbook reading.

I hope that we are going to reach some kind of equilibrium that keeps the indie and used bookstores in existence. I usually don't miss the Big Stores like B&N and Borders, except for the ability to grab a stack of books and spend a few hours scanning through them while sitting at a table with a cup of coffee & a snack.

Bottom line is that I don't miss bookstore browsing because I still have it. And I don't tend to wishlist books I find in the bookstores, because I want the stores to continue to exist, and also because I still enjoy reading pbooks.

Last edited by Harmon; 08-21-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #45
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
We used to have Borders as well as B&N in my neighborhood, and I hit each at least once a week. I always thought that Borders had more depth than B&N had, but it seems to me that B&N has become even more shallow than it was.

A few months ago, it was revealed to me that I needed some kind of Complete Philip Larkin. One came out in March in hardback, so I went to the downtown B&N, affiliated with a local university, and THEY DID NOT HAVE IT! Nor, indeed, any PL at all, nor any empty space where it should have been.

<disgustipated>
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote