Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 09-20-2007, 03:24 PM   #1
SwiftOne
SwiftOne began at the beginning.

Device: shopping
eb1150 Feature check

I'm comparing my various options and gathering data while I wait for the new set of higher end readers (Sony/Kindle/Cybook) to come out, and I wanted to make sure I understood some features of the eb-1150.

1) As I understand it, there is no landscape support (aside from hacking your book into "pages" of images that are displayed that way). Correct?

2) What formats does it read natively? I have a lot of plain-text files that I'd want to display, and while I can run conversion programs, it's nicer not to have to.

3) Aside from the proprietary library software, it is possible to copy files directly to/from the smartmedia card? I often switch systems, as well as distrusting proprietary software connections, so I'd be more comfortable if I can read/update my files without that option.

4) I have some very large (~3 MB) text files that I'd like to read on it...does this work? Is page turning and searching done in any kind of usable speed?

Thanks in advance!
SwiftOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:11 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftOne View Post
I'm comparing my various options and gathering data while I wait for the new set of higher end readers (Sony/Kindle/Cybook) to come out, and I wanted to make sure I understood some features of the eb-1150.
Check my article http://users.cwnet.com/dalede/eb1150.html

1) As I understand it, there is no landscape support (aside from hacking your book into "pages" of images that are displayed that way). Correct?[/QUOTE]

Correct. The pdfread program actually converts pdf files to landscape mode on this device that are intended to be read 2 pages for 1 pdf page.

Quote:
2) What formats does it read natively? I have a lot of plain-text files that I'd want to display, and while I can run conversion programs, it's nicer not to have to.
It only reads its internal format. It does an automatic conversion of .imp files to its internal format but only this one format. It is best to reformat text files anyway to get them to paginate properly and not end up with a lot of sloppy right margins. This reader is for books. It provides a good reading experience in mimicking a book with page changes, etc.

You can use drag and drop conversions if you want speed in conversion. But you may want to do simple editing to make the reading experience better such as making a full paragraph of text on on one line so that it can be wrapped by the reader conversion.

Quote:
3) Aside from the proprietary library software, it is possible to copy files directly to/from the smartmedia card? I often switch systems, as well as distrusting proprietary software connections, so I'd be more comfortable if I can read/update my files without that option.
Yes, you can copy files directly to the smartmedia card and you can backup the smartmedia card to your pc. Copying .imp files will cause them to be converted the next time it powers up. Copying folders containing its internal format will update the library the next time it powers up.

Quote:
4) I have some very large (~3 MB) text files that I'd like to read on it...does this work? Is page turning and searching done in any kind of usable speed?

Thanks in advance!
Yes, it does fine with large books. Page turns are quick. Restarts from a power off are quick with a return to your exact spot. You can also switch between two books rapidly.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2007, 04:18 PM   #3
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:

1) As I understand it, there is no landscape support (aside from hacking your book into "pages" of images that are displayed that way). Correct?

Thanks in advance!
1. True

2. Just .imp, so you gotta convert; however you can do batch convert with the ETI software

3. Yes; I always copy the books directly on the SM card - I never plugged in the Ebk1150 in my pc, I even have no idea where its USB cable is; if you use librarian to send them to the card it breaks them for you, else the Ebk1150 will do it, so it takes a little longer to arrange the bookshelf when you turn it on (one strange feature of Ebk1150 is that the imp files from your pc are broken into bits on it as you can see looking at the smartmedia card)

4. I had a 100 Mb book and it worked as one of 500kb, so no problem; page turning is the fastest in all the readers I use including the 770, it does not matter how long or what kind of book is it; search is adequate, fast enough to be useful, though 770 has faster search
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote