Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-29-2011, 05:32 AM   #1
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Standalone flightcrew?

I know Sigil's built-in epub validator is based on flightcrew. I also see a standalone version of flightcrew available. If I already use Sigil as my main editor, is there a reason to use the standalone version of flightcrew rather than just living with the one that's built in to Sigil? Are they exactly the same or does the standalone offer more features? Just curious.

Thanks.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:27 AM   #2
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Short answer: They're exactly the same. The exact same validation engine is used for both. The FlightCrew project is actually that validation engine, but it also comes with CLI and GUI wrappers to use it.

Long answer: They're not 100% the same, but they are 99.999999999% the same. FC in Sigil doesn't need to perform a few checks (I think a grand total of three) when it's used from Sigil because Sigil removes the need to check if the epub has been assembled properly (since Sigil will assemble it properly when the epub is saved).

But they're the same.

Last edited by Valloric; 06-29-2011 at 08:29 AM.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2011, 07:41 PM   #3
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Thanks for the info Valloric and for putting out such excellent tools. All of your hard work is much appreciated. I've been using the Sigil/Calibre combination for creating/editing ebooks for my Kindle for about a year now and I definitely believe they're the best tools available. I haven't donated yet but I plan to soon.

Thanks again.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:01 AM   #4
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
But do keep in mind that it's more than possible to see different validation results between checking an epub with standalone FlightCrew and opening the epub in Sigil and then running the validation. This is because when you open the epub in Sigil, it will perform some normalization of the XHTML source (HTML Tidy, with or without the "clean" option depending on your Tidy setting in the Sigil toolbar).

So while the validation engine is the same, when you open the epub in Sigil, the validation engine could see something slightly different from what it would have seen had you just tried to validate the epub with standalone FlightCrew (since the FC clients don't perform any normalization, they look at the epub "read-only").
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:21 AM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
If you open sigil and it performs any changes due to normalization will it prompt you to save the document upon exit? I am thinking of someone opening Sigil to run flightcrew and then exiting since it passed.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert