Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-11-2011, 03:59 AM   #1
danby
danby began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader PRS-350
Reader Library doesn't recognise that eReader is plugged in

Hello all

I just bought a Sony eReader, after debating it for months, go it home but can't start using it because when I plug it into the computer using the USB cable, Reader Library (and same problem with Adobe Digital Editions - I tried using that too) doesn't recognise that it's there, so I can't drag any books into it.

There's clearly no problem with the cable because Reader Library opens when I plug the eReader in, and it also appears in the Finder window - it just doesn't appear in list in Reader Library.

Incidentally, the eReader just says 'Charging complete' when it's plugged in - it never gets to 'Do not disconnect', as much of the material I've read online says it should when associated with Reader Library.

I've tried various combinations of plugging the eReader in first, turning the computer on frist, etc. etc., but to no avail. I've also downloaded the Reader Library software again and updated the firmware for the eReader. Finally, I've reset the eReader too. Nothing doing.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I'd be so grateful.
danby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:25 AM   #2
sonyreaderfan
Groupie
sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader Prs 950, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by danby View Post
Hello all

I just bought a Sony eReader, after debating it for months, go it home but can't start using it because when I plug it into the computer using the USB cable, Reader Library (and same problem with Adobe Digital Editions - I tried using that too) doesn't recognise that it's there, so I can't drag any books into it.

There's clearly no problem with the cable because Reader Library opens when I plug the eReader in, and it also appears in the Finder window - it just doesn't appear in list in Reader Library.

Incidentally, the eReader just says 'Charging complete' when it's plugged in - it never gets to 'Do not disconnect', as much of the material I've read online says it should when associated with Reader Library.

I've tried various combinations of plugging the eReader in first, turning the computer on frist, etc. etc., but to no avail. I've also downloaded the Reader Library software again and updated the firmware for the eReader. Finally, I've reset the eReader too. Nothing doing.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I'd be so grateful.
What computer are you using? I had the problem before but it was because of usb hub. The problem went away when I plugged directly into the computer. Also, try soft reset the Reader while it's plugged in.

If the Reader is showing up in Finder, you can drag-drop files into the Reader and the files will show up. Drag into the directory Reader/database/media/books.
sonyreaderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2011, 04:40 AM   #3
danby

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm using a MacBook Pro. What do you mean when you say plugged directly into the computer?

Will try the soft reset while reader plugged in.

Have just discovered that Calibre will recognise device! But that doesn't help with DRM books - I think I'll need either the Sony software or the Adobe Digital Editions for that to work, yes?

Thanks also for the tip about dragging directly into the reader - it works!
Old 06-11-2011, 04:50 AM   #4
sonyreaderfan
Groupie
sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danby View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm using a MacBook Pro. What do you mean when you say plugged directly into the computer?

Will try the soft reset while reader plugged in.

Have just discovered that Calibre will recognise device! But that doesn't help with DRM books - I think I'll need either the Sony software or the Adobe Digital Editions for that to work, yes?

Thanks also for the tip about dragging directly into the reader - it works!
I believe you can drag-drop DRM books. It doesn't work with DRM books? By plugging directly I mean I bypassed the usb hub.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:56 AM   #5
sonyreaderfan
Groupie

Ok, right, for DRM, you have to authorize the Reader first through the Library software and so Reader has to be recognized first. After that you can drag-drop drm files. I believe I had the same problem before and soft-reset while it being plugged in and Library software was running solved it. I have a Mac also. If that doesn't work, you can run it through Windows to authorize the Reader and then drag-drop on a Mac.
Advert
Old 06-11-2011, 05:10 AM   #6
danby

OK, the soft-reset with reader plugged in and Library running hasn't worked, but it's drawn my attention to a new symptom: an icon 'Error' appears (where the reader should appear, in the menu on the left) when the reader is plugged in, but it disappears when the reader is disconnected. Can't get it to reveal anything other than 'error', though...

Just re soft/hard reset - is soft reset just pressing the reset button? What's hard reset? Should I try that?
Old 06-11-2011, 05:29 AM   #7
sonyreaderfan
Groupie

What OS X are you using?
I did some googling and found this:
https://discussions.apple.com/messag...ageID=10634835
"Mac OS X
Sony released an official Mac OS X client for the Reader with the release of the PRS-300 and PRS-600. It is reported to work with the PRS-505, PRS-700, Reader Pocket Edition and Reader Touch Edition. *The software works under 10.6 Snow Leopard, but only under 32 bit mode as it relies on a kernel module that does not currently support the optional 64 bit kernel.*"

Also check out: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63043
That solved it."

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63043

"For mac users: do not boot into 64-bit mode (holding down the 6 and 4 on the keyboard while booting).

The option to boot just the application in 32-bit mode is not available when you click Ctrl-I.

Hope this helps someone."

So are you using 64 bit SL? Boot into 32 bit then? Mine is 32 bit.

Btw, people have said that Sony software is buggy. I think it's ok but at the same time I only use it to buy books. After that I drag drop books onto the reader. Mostly if I have to use a software I use Caliber.

Last edited by sonyreaderfan; 06-11-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:04 AM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I'm guessing you have a newer MBP with Snow Leopard. I would follow the tip that sonyreaderfan posted to boot in 32-bit mode. Then Sony Reader Library should be able to recognize the device by USB. It's a pain, but it's also the only solution I've seen posted that works for people. Also Adobe Digital Editions for Mac will not recognize the Sony ereaders regardless of what system you are using. Adobe has no plans to address this issue. Therefore, I use Reader Library to open DRM'ed ebooks and transfer them on my MBP.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:50 PM   #9
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
If you're not dead set on using Sony software try using Calibre, and get your books from other stores. Calibre has a Mac client, and to be honest the way Sony's servers have been hacked right and left recently, I'm kind of glad I'm not using their software to buy my ebooks.

Kobos software syncs with the Sony readers as well, and they also have a Mac client.

EDIT:
Calibre link

Last edited by ScalyFreak; 06-11-2011 at 12:53 PM.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:49 PM   #10
Ndaara
I like frogs.
Ndaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueNdaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueNdaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueNdaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueNdaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueNdaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueNdaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueNdaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueNdaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueNdaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueNdaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony T2, Kindle Fire
Try different USB cable

I had many issues with my PRS 300, it turned out that my computer didn't like the cable that came with the reader. Different cable: Problem solved!

Same as you, it would recognize there was a reader attached, and even work occasionally! Got it to work long enough to authorize, etc... then fight with it to get a book on it... then it would work fine one day, but not 10 minutes later. Very frustrating. Different cable - no more issues! Gave that thing to my husband and he has NEVER had issues with it on his computer, using his own USB cable.

We had several other cables laying around but I was SURE that wasn't the issue, because it worked sometimes... I was mistaken =p But happy about it this time!
Ndaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:02 PM   #11
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I am having an issue with my new iMac as well, with Reader Library not working with my 950. The device appears under the Reader Library menu, but it says "Error."

It works fine on my old iMac, and on my MacBook Pro, so I don't know why it's not working on this machine. I tried booting into 32-bit mode, that didn't help.... I've re-installed Reader Library countless times from Sony's website, and that isn't helping either.

Fortunately, Calibre is a perfect work-around to get books on the 950, but I'd still like the Reader Library software to work properly.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:13 PM   #12
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
pidgeon92, when I had the "Error" message a few months ago, I reinstalled Reader Library using these instructions. I am not sure how you did the reinstall, but there are some extra folders that you have to delete, or it won't cleanly reinstall and work properly.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78921

Then I reformatted my 950. This step might have been overkill. The process was a total pain. It required reloading Reader Library with all of my books and rebuilding my collections. Same with the reformat since you have to then reload all of your books, pictures, music, etc. However, it fixed the problem for me. Very frustrating and time-consuming.

I have an older MBP with Leopard. Everything was fine with Reader Library until something got corrupted. Your situation may be different if your iMac has never recognized your 950.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:39 PM   #13
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yep, I deleted all of those folders. Multiple times... using the finder.... using Terminal... using AppZapper.... All-in-all I believe I deleted everything and re-installed at least 8 times.

I also did a factory reset of of the 950. That didn't help, either.

I tried bringing over the settings from my old iMac. That completely upset Reader Library, so that it hung on opening.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:07 AM   #14
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
First thing, try a different cable.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:55 AM   #15
pidgeon92
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
First thing, try a different cable.
Different cables, yep. Different USB ports.... yep. It works on every Mac I own, except the one I use all the time.