Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-13-2011, 01:10 PM   #16
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
For decades now, it hasn't take much more than attendance to earn a diploma in the US.

I would be interested to learn how many people don't read magazines and newspapers either.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:16 PM   #17
spaze
Addict
spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Writing my first short story: Guardian Angel
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy3b View Post
that says it all. And shows why this country now sucks as much as it does. I wonder though what the stats are for different eras. I would say people actually read more today than ever but the content is intentionally non-challenging geared to probably a 6th grade education.
I take it you're from US, but here in europe things don't look any better. I know of only my parents and my wife who read books and I myself have only discovered love for reading after I got to play with ereaders.
spaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #18
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
Interesting. 80% of US families didn't buy or read a book last year but 38% of adults spent some time on the previous day reading a book for pleasure. I think some people might not be telling the truth. Either that or they read lots of books but never finish any of them.
Good call! There is this:
Quote:
Be wary of statistics on reading. Numbers will vary depending on how the question is phrased. When asked if THEY read books, many people will inflate the figure to appear knowledgeable and scholarly.

“40% of people admit to lying about having read certain books, according to a study published last year by the Museums, Libraries and Archives Council.”
--BBC News, http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7178598.stm

[snip]

Most readers do not get past page 18 in a book they have purchased.
I 100% believe this. I've known people to do both. One friend of mine has a bookcase full of books he's never finished (though they all look extra boring).
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:23 PM   #19
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
I 100% believe this. I've known people to do both. One friend of mine has a bookcase full of books he's never finished (though they all look extra boring).
That I believe. I have been on page 65 of "Dune" for the past 25 years.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:26 PM   #20
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I am the only one in my father's family (6 total) that reads for pleasure. But in our family, all of us do. And I think in my community, most everyone does. (There is a book swap at the train station, which would be really neat if I still read pbooks. But it gives me a place to get rid of mine!). The problem I have is that I live, work and hang around people like me. Even my admin. assistant reads for pleasure. So I was floored by these statistics.

I guess that explains why publishers are so confused about pricing of ebooks. I don't imagine the number of adults reading for pleasure is increasing. My daughter is part of the video generation - TV, computer, iphone, ipod. She says she doesn't like reading (although the teachers keep taking away books she is reading in class). I told her I just want her to experience the joy of reading yourself to sleep. I can't count the number of times I have been busy all day, and looking forward to getting in bed and finishing a book. To me, reading is the ultimate relaxation, better than listening to music, certainly better than watching the cardiac cubs. She would rather surfyoutube-now there is an incredible waste of time! But, I am just imposing my prejudices on her. Well, I can't force her to read for pleasure, but I can prohibit her from throwing a book away, which I have. This generation.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2011, 01:38 PM   #21
jkeene
Connoisseur
jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
A survey by the Jenkins Group, an independent publishing services firm, has shown that millions of Americans never read another book after leaving school.

33 percent of high school graduates never read another book for the rest of their lives.
42 percent of college graduates never read another book after college.

Increased education correlates to decreased reading? They've discovered the real reason B&M bookstores are floundering, too much college!

That's a really strange survey result.
jkeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:45 PM   #22
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
That I believe. I have been on page 65 of "Dune" for the past 25 years.
LOL! Thanks for that...several people have been trying to get me to read Dune...I haven't been able to be interested enough to start.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:50 PM   #23
Shimarenda
Addict
Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Let me start off by punching holes in the issue at hand, did a lot of this as an undergraduate in my Science of Argument class. First , the source, the Jenkins Group, who is this company and what business is it of theirs to make statements like this? I have never heard their name associated with book publishing in any way so where would the company lay there hands on that kind of data? If it was the Book Publishing Industry Association, I would except them as an authoritative source or perhaps one of the major book publishers (its simple for a book publisher to look at sales data to surmize this sort of things).
Here is the website for the Jenkins Group: http://www.bookpublishing.com/

Not that this proves anything about the methodology or results of their study. Since they indicate an attempt to broaden their business in 2009, the study was possibly done to that end.

Last edited by Shimarenda; 04-13-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Shimarenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #24
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Oh man, I feel really bad for not being surprised. I guess I don't expect much out of my fellow human beings.

(It makes the pain so so so much less...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
For decades now, it hasn't take much more than attendance to earn a diploma in the US.
Ahh, you are super right. What is the saying(?):

Keep paying for lessons until you learn something (and you don't always learn something)

A lesson in itself. After my brother learned more Japanese in a summer of self study than I did in an entire "accelerated" course at a local college I have vehemently held to the opinion that nothing, and I mean not a thing, can replace true and honest motivation, desire, and passion for a subject.

Last edited by Anthem; 04-13-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:45 PM   #25
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post

from Parapublishing (older data):

{edited other stats}
•65% of college freshmen in 2005 said they read little or nothing for pleasure.
I don't know about all of the rest of the statistics, but this one rang sadly true for me. Just about the only time in my life that I HAVEN'T read books constantly for pleasure (and a bit of learning too) was while I was in college. Mostly I was just too busy to read, but also I think I was rebelling a bit against having to read a lot of assigned books. Somehow I've always disliked being told what books to read, and then having to analyze them to someone else's satisfaction. I even remember hating The Hobbit, a book I like so much that I voluntarily re-read it every few years, during the time I was assigned to read it in an English class!

So, during my college years, I too read little or nothing for pleasure. This is probably a sad comment on our educational system, but luckily, I found my way back to reading pretty quickly after graduating. However, I can easily see how lots of folks might never find their way back...
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:02 PM   #26
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
I find that very sad. I have to have my stories. Even though addiction to audiobooks and the Internet has cut way into my reading in years of late, you can count unabridged audio, IMHO. Anyway, I am trying to change that with the Kobo to encourage me and, when I am on vacation, can read 4 books in less than a week. I get a lot of audiobooks in as I am in the car over 2 hrs each day. Plus, I live alone so I keep the headphones in almost all the time.

Anyway, I was raised to read. My parents are readers, my brother is a reader, my cousins are readers. I remember going to a friend's house when I was in Jr. High and having quite a culture shock because her parents only let her read or watch what she requested and they then okayed. The only books in the house,were a few Nancy Drews she had and she only watched the Monkees. This was in the late 1980s. *Boggles* I mean, at that point, I'd already read The Handmaid's Tale. Heck, Mom read me Lord of the Rings when I was 6. Anyway, that was my first clue that there were people out there who didn't read.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:16 PM   #27
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
While it's fun to think that I'm in the top 20% of the population as regards to reading, I don't believe it for a second. Amazon’s original business before branching out was online retailing of books. They did not get where they are by not selling tonnes of paper.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:30 PM   #28
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
While it's fun to think that I'm in the top 20% of the population as regards to reading, I don't believe it for a second. Amazon’s original business before branching out was online retailing of books. They did not get where they are by not selling tonnes of paper.
But you have to remember that Amazon started out by fufilling the online orders of larger bookstores (at the time) like Borders.

I remember getting my first Amazon box after ordering from Borders...that is one of the reasons why Borders is bankrupt and Amazon is thriving.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:37 PM   #29
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
But they're still selling selling tonnes of paper as well as petabytes of ebooks.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #30
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

True, but that doesn't mean the average number of book readers/buyers went up, just that they switched sellers.

Tags
reading, stats