Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you think an iPad Mini will ship this year?
I believe it is for real, and I want one 32 35.16%
I believe it is for real, not interested in one 45 49.45%
I don't think it is coming soon, but I'm interested 6 6.59%
I don't think it is coming soon, not interested 6 6.59%
I will only get one if it blends 2 2.20%
Other (explain in post) 0 0%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #151
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, iPad Mini, my PC and Galaxy Tab A :)
Reading list plugin ???? I've never heard of that.

I stopped into the Apple store a bit ago and held and tried out the Mini. Very nice. Definitely lighter than the iPad. Can still watch movies. Played a few games and looked at reading text via iBooks since Kindle wasn't loaded.

Now, does the Kindle app ONLY read mobi books or does it read epub, too?

I'm also told that iBooks will sync between devices.
Shykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #152
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
You can convert ePub books to mobi and send it to the Kindle using the personal document feature. You can also sync ePub books on iTunes to read on iBooks. Either way it'll sync your reading location.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #153
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't really want to have to convert all of my hundreds of epub books into mobi so that is pretty much leaving Kindle out of the picture.

I have heard that the Nook app also will sync between the Nook and the Nook app on your hand held device but I forgot to see if it would sync between just hand held devices... and I don't know if it sorts in my preferred manner of sort by date loaded.

The sorting by date loaded is my biggest quirk and desire in an ebook reading program while the syncing is my second desire only if I wind up buying the iPad Mini.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:57 PM   #154
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shykat
I stopped into the Apple store a bit ago and held and tried out the Mini. Very nice. Definitely lighter than the iPad. Can still watch movies. Played a few games and looked at reading text via iBooks since Kindle wasn't loaded.
I was in a UK Apple store yesterday, and all of the iThings were on the network, so I could sign into the the Apple store with my normal ID, download my apps and try them out. (Remember to log out of the store again!)
I did this to try out magazines and maps on the Mini.
(Some store functions are blocked, I couldn't purchase anything, restore in-app purchases or search for apps, but at long as you can find an app in a list (including your 'Purchased' list), you can download it.)
Once you've got the Kindle app, you can sign into that with your Amazon account and download a few of your books to try out. (Again, remember to sign out!)
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #155
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shykat View Post
I don't really want to have to convert all of my hundreds of epub books into mobi so that is pretty much leaving Kindle out of the picture.

I have heard that the Nook app also will sync between the Nook and the Nook app on your hand held device but I forgot to see if it would sync between just hand held devices... and I don't know if it sorts in my preferred manner of sort by date loaded.

The sorting by date loaded is my biggest quirk and desire in an ebook reading program while the syncing is my second desire only if I wind up buying the iPad Mini.
I don't think you can sideload books onto the Nook. If you have non drm'ed ePub books, you can just put it in iTunes. It'll sync to iBooks.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #156
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Reading list plugin ???? I've never heard of that.
Reading List plugin for calibre.

Quote:
If you don't actually need any of the iPad specific features or care that much about syncing with your iPhone and you want to use your eReader as a library management tool to sort your books the way you like, you might do better looking at an Android tablet.

Quote:
Now, does the Kindle app ONLY read mobi books or does it read epub, too?
Kindle won't read epub. calibre can convert.

Quote:
I'm also told that iBooks will sync between devices.
Yes, iBooks will sync between devices if you load the ebooks via iTunes. Sorry, I didn't mention it since I (wrongly) assumed you didn't like iBooks since you were avoiding it on your iPhone and using Shubook.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:11 AM   #157
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Quote:
I don't really want to have to convert all of my hundreds of epub books into mobi so that is pretty much leaving Kindle out of the picture...
You haven't mentioned if you use Calibre, but it can bulk convert your ePubs to Mobi format for use in a Kindle app. it is surprisingly fast.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:19 AM   #158
Shykat
Groupie

Yes, I do use Calibre and find the program to be super handy.

Now, things just depend on if I do get an iPad Mini, a Nook or a Kindle or if I just stick with the smaller screen on my handy dandy iPhone 4S.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #159
Shykat
Groupie

For those of you who already have the iPod Mini..... have you tried one of the bluetooth keyboards with it? I remember trying the on screen keyboard and it was okay but I sure wouldn't mind a larger, bluetooth type keyboard for it.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #160
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
What I don't understand is folks dumping higher quality iPads for the Mini. Guess size and weight matter most.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #161
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
What I don't understand is folks dumping higher quality iPads for the Mini. Guess size and weight matter most.
Totally agree. No way I would sell my iPad3 to buy a mini. I could see someone with an iPad1 or iPad2 going that route, but not with an iPad3 as that would be a major downgrade on multiple levels.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #162
trevgriff
Zealot
trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini - Main Reader (iPad 3 backup, iPhone 4s back to my backup)
I have both an iPad 3 and the iPad mini, the mini has become my primary reader. The weight and size are great for reading, at least for me.
trevgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #163
Tess89
Enthusiast
Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I bought an ipad mini for a trial run and out of all the 7" readers I've tried I like the mini the least for reading. Even though its the lightest 7"+ tablet out there I don't like the feel of it in my hands when reading books. I suppose it has something to do with the width. The resolution doesn't help things but it can be overlooked.

Last edited by Tess89; 11-13-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Tess89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #164
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess89 View Post
I bought an ipad mini for a trial run and out of all the 7" readers I've tried I like the mini the least for reading. Even though its the lightest 7"+ tablet out there I don't like the feel of it in my hands when reading books. I suppose it has something to do with the width. The resolution doesn't help things but it can be overlooked.
What others did you compare against, and what did you finally settle on?
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:18 PM   #165
Shykat
Groupie

I think for me, the weight is a big issue with the Mini since I have used my Asus transformer in the past and found it way to heavy to hold for reading for any length of time.

I've been comparing the Nook Tablet HD and the Apple Mini. Though the Nook has the HD screen, I keep leaning more toward the Mini even though it doesn't have the HD screeen.

I've been wanting something that will sync ebooks while reading. The Nook app does this and iBooks does as well. Neither are prefect but I'm thinking, if I use Calibre2opds and Dropbox, I should be just fine with the access to my books so I won't have to load quite as many books on my handhelds at a time like I currently do. I just would need a wifi connection to get to them.

The screen on the Mini is a bit larger/wider than the Nook, too.

A couple of questions for those who already have the Mini:

Have you tried using a bluetooth keyboard with it yet?

I would like to have a subscription to Reader's Digest or possibly other magazines so I could read them on the Mini. Is that possible and how?

Thanks,
Shykat

Last edited by Shykat; 11-13-2012 at 06:20 PM. Reason: accidentally posted before finished typing