Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-09-2011, 10:39 PM   #1
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Metadata Plugboards and "On Device"

Hi guys,

I'm using a Metadata Plugboard that I found on this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
General Metadata

Metadata: Put series into the title, using either initials or a shortened form. Strip leading articles from the series name (any) (inspired by Gary_M_Mugford)
Spoiler:
The solution requires creating three composite columns. The first column is used to remove the leading articles. The second is used to compute the 'shorten' form. The third is to compute the 'initials' form. Once you have these columns, the plugboard selects between them. You can hide any or all of the three columns on the library view.

First column:
Code:
Name: #stripped_series. Template: {series:re(^(A|The|An)\s+,)||}
Second column (the shortened form):
Code:
Name: #shortened. Template: {#stripped_series:shorten(4,-,4)}
Third column (the initials form):
Code:
Name: #initials. Template: {#stripped_series:re(([^\s])[^\s]+(\s|$),\1)}
Plugboard expression:
Code:
Template:{#stripped_series:lookup(.\s,#initials,., #shortened,series)}{series_index:0>2s| [|] }{title}
Destination field: title
This set of fields and plugboard produces:
Series: The Lord of the Rings
Series index: 2
Title: The Two Towers
Output: LotR [02] The Two Towers

Series: Dahak
Series index: 1
Title: Mutineers Moon
Output: Dahak [01] Mutineers Moon

Series: Berserkers
Series Index: 4
Title: Berserker Throne
Output: Bers-kers [04] Berserker Throne

Series: Meg Langslow Mysteries
Series Index: 3
Title: Revenge of the Wrought-Iron Flamingos
Output: MLM [03] Revenge of the Wrought-Iron Flamingos
It inserts the Series name and number in the title of the book. When I plug in my Kindle, the "Send to Device" button works fine, but for books with series metadata, the column to the left does not show a checkmark after the file is sent.

I'm guessing that this is because the title is changed, since when I load books without series onto my Kindle, the checkmark appears as expected. Is there anyway to fix this?

Update: I've attached a screenshot of two books. The first one has the series information appended to the beginning of the title, so the checkmark is missing. The second book is not tagged as part of a series, so it has the checkmark as expected. Also in the image, you can see that the book is indeed in the library, but does not show up as "On Device"

Click image for larger version

Name:	example.png
Views:	369
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	69731

Thanks,
Kranu

Last edited by kranu; 04-09-2011 at 11:30 PM.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu View Post
I'm guessing that this is because the title is changed, since when I load books without series onto my Kindle, the checkmark appears as expected. Is there anyway to fix this?
I use the exact same setup, but with a Sony and I don't have this problem. Hopefully someone in the know will have the answer to your question.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:37 AM   #3
atjnjk
Zealot
atjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enough

Device: none
As I remembered, after upgrading to the version which introduced "Modified Date" column and drive info file (version 0.7.48?), calibre doesn't recognize (means no "On Device" check) books sent before upgrading with title changed by metadata plugboard (added series & authors). I guess you should resend those books (I didn't resend mine because I use a manual check column to control what was sent).

Last edited by atjnjk; 04-10-2011 at 01:44 AM.
atjnjk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, device, metadata, plugboard