Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 02-24-2009, 08:34 AM   #1
dhave
dhave began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle? Currently pocket pc
iPaq-as-ereader questions

I have an older model iPaq (model 3850) on which I still read ebooks. In fact, that's pretty much all I do with it, since it's really too big to be a useful PDA.

Two questions, please:

(1) What is the latest version of MS Pocket PC operating system that will run on this device?

(2) What are my ebook-reading software options? It already runs Microsoft Reader and Adobe Acroread. I would like to be able to read in other, newer formats as well.

Thank you!
dhave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:39 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Can't help you with the first question, but MobiPocket will certainly run on it. That's probably your best bet for modern eBooks. Download the reader from http://www.mobipocket.com
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 09:45 AM   #3
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
The IPAQ 3850 can be upgraded to windows mobile 2003, if it's not already running that OS. You may be able to find an upgrade by search through eBay.

If you already use Microsoft Reader and Adobe Reader, you are running the latest versions of those applications - there has not been many changes to the pocket pc versions of those software in a number of years - and you should be able to read DRM .Lit books on the device. DRM PDF books probably won't work since it seems that Adobe's pocket pc activation system is no longer operational.

But like Harry already mentioned, you should be able to install Mobipocket to your device and you should be able to read DRM Mobipocket books on it.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:22 AM   #4
dhave
dhave began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle? Currently pocket pc
Thank you, both, for your very helpful answers. I'll check out MobiPocket right away.
dhave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
The IPAQ 3850 can be upgraded to windows mobile 2003, if it's not already running that OS. You may be able to find an upgrade by search through eBay.

If you already use Microsoft Reader and Adobe Reader, you are running the latest versions of those applications - there has not been many changes to the pocket pc versions of those software in a number of years - and you should be able to read DRM .Lit books on the device. DRM PDF books probably won't work since it seems that Adobe's pocket pc activation system is no longer operational.

But like Harry already mentioned, you should be able to install Mobipocket to your device and you should be able to read DRM Mobipocket books on it.
Actually the Microsoft reader has been upgraded since the ROM version included in these older PDA's. The newer version includes the ability to click and zoom on images.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2013, 04:57 AM   #6
ClareK
Connoisseur
ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Laser
Ipaq as ereader

I am resurrecting an old thread because, although I have an ereader, I have suddenly decided I love reading ebooks on my Ipaq 1950.

When I first starting using an Ipaq, several years ago, I found the small size of the screen frustrating. However, now that I am used to reading ebooks and clicking to turn the pages the size doesn't seem to worry me at all. I installed Mobipocket on the Ipaq, and when I download mobi files I just have to remember to change the suffix from .mobi to .prc

It is so much easier to carry the Ipaq in my handbag, and I can hold it in one hand while I am reading - can even use the automatic scroll function, though at present I don't like the feeling of being forced to read at a particular speed. And of course it has a touch screen, which my ereader doesn't have.

It is possible to buy used Ipaqs cheaply on eBay, so it seems to me to be a good alternative for anyone who feels they can't afford an ereader. Since my mobile phone doesn't have any bells and whistles, I still use the Ipaq as an appointment diary, and I make use of Word and Excel as well.

Altogether a fantastic little device!
ClareK is offline   Reply With Quote